Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Gotta Love Gary Pinkel

Seems Gary Pinkel was the only Big 12 coach willing to publicly object to the idiocy that is the LHN yesterday.

"Then there was Missouri coach Gary Pinkel, who while on the podium called the concept "a lack of common sense" but elaborated more strongly later to a few reporters.

"What are we doing here?" said Pinkel, later saying that the reformatted league needs every member to act in the conference's best interests. "If you don't want to do that, then become an independent. Go do what you've got to do."
    Asked if he felt a sense of cohesion in the conference, he said, "Yeah until what happened last week happened."

Pinkel was speaking less in anger than as a conscientious objector to what some perceive as an unfair recruiting advantage for Texas in the Lone Star state. Nearly half of MU's team hail."

Read more: Pinkel critical of Texas' plan to sponsor prep TV games

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65

Re: Gotta Love Gary Pinkel

I thought Gary was great yesterday.
    Texas is going to push the limit on what they can do and wait for someone to tell them they can't do it. Right now they are on strong footing because there is no specific NCAA rule that says high school games can't be carried on a team's network. I imagine though that the NCAA will add a rule as soon as they can. The real tricky part is that, techinically is still ESPN and the NCAA can't control ESPN.

If this is allowed then I think teams all over the country will try and find a way to broadcast highschool games of kids they are recruiting. Maybe be streaming them online on team sites.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    Texas is going to push the limit on what they can do and wait for someone to tell them they can't do it. Right now they are on strong footing because there is no specific NCAA rule that says high school games can't be carried on a team's network. I imagine though that the NCAA will add a rule as soon as they can. The real tricky part is that, techinically is still ESPN and the NCAA can't control ESPN.

If this is allowed then I think teams all over the country will try and find a way to broadcast highschool games of kids they are recruiting. Maybe be streaming them online on team sites.
    I agree completely. Media intrusion is dictating the future of major college football.

Gary was on on a roll yesterday.

Walk On
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 80

Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post

Absolutely. Texas feels they are the glue that holds this league together. Anything they can do to leverage this position, you can bet they will proceed with. I am a little torn on this issue of a separate LHN. On one side, I feel the Big 12 new this was coming. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but one of the big reasons that they didn't head with Larry Scott and the PAC 10 was the hesitation to allow them to have their own independent LHN. Commissioner Beebe and the rest of the Big 12 made concessions in order to let this league live, this was a big one. We all acknowledged Texas was going to go forward with this independent network. However, on the other hand, we have seen how the disparity between the members caused this implosion to occur. I just can't help but think this is just another chapter in the disfunctional family known as the Big 12, and the table has been laid for another implosion in years to come.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Even better I thought was Mack Brown's take on it. He acted like Texas had no control over what happened and it was all ESPN's decision. Mack knows what he's doing, all the other coaches in the Big 12 are upset, but all except Pinkel gave the "we're football coaches and have too many other things to worry about" answer. I agree with Pinkel.....Texas you need to become an independent!

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by sdcyfan View Post
    Texas you need to become an independent!
    I assume you understand what that would mean for ISU, right?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 914
    Given: 269

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    The Big XII would gain stability, repopulate to 12 teams and, while taking an immediate blow financially, be much better poised going forward to expand to 16 when the wave of superconferences takes hold?

We all know UT is going... it's just a matter of when, squawkfan. Thanks for trolling

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,199
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 10

As if you do.

Newsflash: Iowa has the same TV value as Iowa State. They go by number of TV sets in the state. Iowa is riding the coattails of more heavily populated Big 10 states to its east, just like ISU is doing with the state of Texas (not the university of Texas).

IT'S THE SAME THING, MORON!

Walk On
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

Oh, here we go again. The good ol' dirty hawk thinking he knows what will happen to ISU....let me guess, you think ISU will go to the MAC?

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 123

I NEVER want to be in a 16 team conference. What is the point of being in a conference with teams that you will play LESS than 50% of the time? I do like the idea of round robin play.

Walk On
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by QBUMizzou View Post
    Seems Gary Pinkel was the only Big 12 coach willing to publicly object to the idiocy that is the LHN yesterday.

"Then there was Missouri coach Gary Pinkel, who while on the podium called the concept "a lack of common sense" but elaborated more strongly later to a few reporters.

"What are we doing here?" said Pinkel, later saying that the reformatted league needs every member to act in the conference's best interests. "If you don't want to do that, then become an independent. Go do what you've got to do."
    Asked if he felt a sense of cohesion in the conference, he said, "Yeah until what happened last week happened."

Pinkel was speaking less in anger than as a conscientious objector to what some perceive as an unfair recruiting advantage for Texas in the Lone Star state. Nearly half of MU's team hail."

Read more: Pinkel critical of Texas' plan to sponsor prep TV games
    All the B12 members have to remember that we gave Texas this choice of having a LHN when it was decided to keep the B12 together after NU & CU left. The question is whether having high school games on it is fair, which will be determined by the NCAA. The LHN is the right of Texas, especially after everyone said it was OK...you can't cry about the network now. You can cry about the fairness of having high school games played on it though.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    As if you do.

Newsflash: Iowa has the same TV value as Iowa State. They go by number of TV sets in the state. Iowa is riding the coattails of more heavily populated Big 10 states to its east, just like ISU is doing with the state of Texas (not the university of Texas).

IT'S THE SAME THING, MORON!
    THIS. When the hell did Hawk fans get so damn arrogant about their place in college football? They are a team that also follows the leader and mean nothing in this whole realignment, are they lucky to have a forward looking conference, hell ya. The Big 10 survives without Iowa and maybe increases value without them, ND and Nebraska are more valuable than Iowa, the Big Ten only falls with the loss of OSU and Michigan.

CyBer

When is CPR talking today?

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 145

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    The Big XII would gain stability, repopulate to 12 teams and, while taking an immediate blow financially, be much better poised going forward to expand to 16 when the wave of superconferences takes hold?
    You assume that OU, OSU, A&M and MU would stick around once UT left. That is not a good assumption, and as such, the financial blow would likely not only be immediate, but long term.

No flagship program(s), no money.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Isn't this the same guy

who declared a win for Missouri after his team was called for holding at the end of the game and lost to ISU. What was hilarious about that statement and others by Pinkel is the fact that they beat ISU on more than one completely blown call (not opinion, replay showed it) the previous year at Missouri.

What a tool. Hey, Gary, give us the win at Missouri and you can claim the other one.