Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Best chance to pull an upset this year?

Each of the last two years we have had monumental upsets on the road, that have shaken the college football world. In 2009, we won in Lincoln, last year we won in Austin.

This year, I think our big upset comes at home, against the Squawks.

Thoughts?

CPR: Resuscitating ISU Football, one win at a time.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,120
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 50

Re: Best chance to pull an upset this year?

I think it will be a game at home. Either Iowa, Texas again, or Oklahoma State

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 862

I'll say Iowa or Texas. We'll get creamed by Okie state, that's just a bad matchup for our defense. Texas and Iowa are a little more methodical which gives us a better chance to stay in the game if our offense is struggling.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 17

My guess is Mizzou. Our defense outplayed Blaine Gabbert and the rest of the Mizzou offense last season. If we can score some points this season, I think we can capitalize on Mizzou's new QB and a team that might be looking a game ahead (they host OK State the following week).

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 43

I think we beat Iowa and Texas by decent amounts and I would not call either an upset aside. As for OSU, that is a potential upset with an 8:00 kick in late November. What is Rhoads' record in night games? I think he has only lost 1 and that was Utah.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 150

Please delete....

Last edited by State43; 07-26-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The problem is that game is in Columbia so I wouldn't bet on it. My vote is Iowa or Texas. In my opinion, I don't see how we lose to UConn unless we make a bunch of mistakes. They lost so many key players and on the Big East blog, they seem to be at the back of the conference in everything with exception to offensive lineman. Apparently they have a couple future NFL players on the line so getting pressure could prove difficult. Ultimately, I am betting on Iowa. I think Okie St, and Oklahoma are really bad matchups for us as well but crazy things do happen.

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 862

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    I think we beat Iowa and Texas by decent amounts and I would not call either an upset aside.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

We need to get Oklahoma. Nebraska, Texas, and then Oklahoma in CPRs first three years

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 15

I think we beat Iowa and Texas by decent amounts and I would not call either an upset aside. As for OSU, that is a potential upset with an 8:00 kick in late November. What is Rhoads' record in night games? I think he has only lost 1 and that was Utah.
    Look at the opponents we've played in night games. There's a direct correlation to the number of wins because of the quality of competition. Last year Utah, Missouri, and Oklahoma beat us a pretty sound 134-27 in night games.

Iowa and Texas would both be upsets. Both are more talented squads who will be favored when they come into Ames. I do think the chances of upsetting Iowa are a lot better. They don't have nearly the talent Texas does to cover up mistakes. Talent is going to win most of the time.

Depending on what you call a "decent" amount, we haven't won a conference game by more than 14 in 5 years.

Last edited by IcSyU; 07-26-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post

Did you watch the game last year in Austin? Where did they upgrade? We were up something like 28-6 at one point. Our defense is better, our offense can only get better, and this time its in Ames. As for Iowa, they lost countless seniors and are rebuilding plus the game is in Ames. Tron Smith even thinks this game is a blowout.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Look at the opponents we've played in night games. There's a direct correlation to the number of wins because of the quality of competition. Last year Utah, Missouri, and Oklahoma beat us a pretty sound 134-27 in night games.

Iowa and Texas would both be upsets. Both are more talented squads who will be favored when they come into Ames. I do think the chances of upsetting Iowa are a lot better. They don't have nearly the talent Texas does to cover up mistakes. Talent is going to win most of the time.

Depending on what you call a "decent" amount, we haven't won a conference game by more than 14 in 5 years.
    I'll take coaching over talent any day. I dont care what you say but we have one of the best up and coming coaches in the country. Texas on the other hand just lost one of the best defensive coordinators in the country to Florida and Mack Brown is not exactly tearing up the fan base.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 15

Did you watch the game last year in Austin? Where did they upgrade? We were up something like 28-6 at one point. Our defense is better, our offense can only get better, and this time its in Ames. As for Iowa, they lost countless seniors and are rebuilding plus the game is in Ames. Tron Smith even thinks this game is a blowout.
    Yes. I did watch it. Both teams have a TON of question marks. We don't know if we'll have an offense and we don't know the defense is better. On paper they might be, but the only place we are certain we are probably better is linebacker. Our DL and secondary have question marks.

Additionally, in case you haven't noticed, Iowa hasn't rebuilt in awhile. They just reload talent. Ferentz has a heck of a program that has decimated us the last few years.

When Tron Smith becomes authority on anything outside sales of Toyota/Scion/etc., let us all know. Until then, his opinion matters as much as anyone's on here. We're all taking wild guesses.

And are you serious? We do not have one of the best up and coming coaches in the country. Has he pulled a couple great upsets? Yeah. Has he laid some inexcusable eggs? Yes.

Unlike you, I'll take talent over coaching once a day and twice on Sundays. Urban Meyer is a HELL of a coach but unless there is any sort of talent for him to work with, he could come to Ames tomorrow and he isn't going to turn us into a 10 win team. Gene Chizik is a god awful coach and ended up in the title game last season with one of the most talented rosters in the country. Talent wins consistently. Coaching is limited by talent. Rick Barnes is a brutal coach but they win a lot of games. Scott Drew is a brutal coach and they win a lot of games.

Last edited by IcSyU; 07-26-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

By saying the offense can only get better, that's not exactly true. Hopeful for sure, but it could get a lot worse!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 149

They have a new OC, I'd consider that an upgrade over Greg Davis, throw in one of the better freshman RB's in the country and I think they'll bring a different offense to the table. The Texas game scares me, I expect them to come to Ames with a pretty big chip on their shoulder.