Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Didn't Ellis Hobbs retire?

Was just reading this 2011 free-agency breakdown and saw that Hobbs was listed as one of the top five free-agents the Eagles should pick up. Problem is, I thought during the offseason he said he was going to retire due to his latest neck injury.

2011 free-agency breakdown - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Can anyone confirm or deny? It would be sweet if he could still play, as he's a great player in the league and an awesome representative for us.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 51

Re: Didn't Ellis Hobbs retire?

Quote Originally Posted by CY22 View Post
    Was just reading this 2011 free-agency breakdown and saw that Hobbs was listed as one of the top five free-agents the Eagles should pick up. Problem is, I thought during the offseason he said he was going to retire due to his latest neck injury.

2011 free-agency breakdown - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Can anyone confirm or deny? It would be sweet if he could still play, as he's a great player in the league and an awesome representative for us.
    I know he did a couple of interviews about a month ago saying that he would like to get back into football. He did retire (IIRC, it was due to health reasons) but now he's putting his name out there to generate some interest during free agency. It would be awesome to see him play again.

Edit: Here's a radio interview with Ellis from July 7. He says that he has not officially retired yet. He originally retired due to back-related problems, and teams will have to get him cleared medically to play.

http://audio.weei.com/a/42359381/ell...e-big-show.htm

Last edited by 3GenClone; 07-26-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Well after being an Eagles fan for nearly 3 decades I will tell you that I would be shocked if the Eagles had him back. The Eagles have a knack of getting rid of older talent, even before that older talent is performing poorly, its thier business model I think, John Runyan, Brian Dawkins, Brian Westbrook, Duece Staley, all these players were good at what they did and were elite at their positions but the second they got an injury "problem" or got to the ten year mark - - -GONE.

I imagine he will go to a team who is perhaps rebuilding or doesn't mind older talent like Washington or Denver. He was getting burned alot at DB with the Eagles, this could be a scheme difference between Philly and New England, although Assante Samuels did fine. If he is taken by a team it will be for punt returns which is how Ellis has gotten his neck injury.

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 137

Quote Originally Posted by GoClones123 View Post
    Well after being an Eagles fan for nearly 3 decades I will tell you that I would be shocked if the Eagles had him back. The Eagles have a knack of getting rid of older talent, even before that older talent is performing poorly, its thier business model I think, John Runyan, Brian Dawkins, Brian Westbrook, Duece Staley, all these players were good at what they did and were elite at their positions but the second they got an injury "problem" or got to the ten year mark - - -GONE.

I imagine he will go to a team who is perhaps rebuilding or doesn't mind older talent like Washington or Denver. He was getting burned alot at DB with the Eagles, this could be a scheme difference between Philly and New England, although Assante Samuels did fine. If he is taken by a team it will be for punt returns which is how Ellis has gotten his neck injury.
    Ellis is 28 years old...hardly "old". Dawkins and Runyan were in their mid 30's when they were let go and Duece and Westbrook were old in running back years.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by GoClones123 View Post

They might be shedding that reputation if they are talking to Favre, as the interwebz are reporting.

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"