Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 6

Yet another realignment thread

Lets say that over the next 5 years the Big 12-2 stays together and even adds one or two more teams. During that time the Big 12 network is launched bringing a modest amount of additional revenue to the 'have not' schools and the LHN, Sooner network and one or two more are launched and are successful which brings significant more revenue to the 'have' schools.

If the above manages to happen, would that have any effect on the Big 10? In other words, would Ohio State and Michigan start to think that Texas has the right idea? Would they decide that they deserve a bigger share than Indiana, Northwestern and other 'have nots' of the big 10?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 0

Re: Yet another realignment thread

If Texas and Oklahoma start making a lot more money then them in the next few years I wouldn't be surprised if they start getting more greedy. But they are already getting more than enough money as it is so it might not be a big deal. But that is why I feel if ND ever joins a conference it would be the Big12 for that very reason... and it isn't breaking up with these new TV contracts rolling in.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,627
    Given: 422

Re: Yet another realignment thread

I thought about this as well. I wonder if the Big Ten now has the 7 votes it would need to go away from equal revenue sharing.

I mean, I have to imagine that Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State would all benefit financially if they didn't have to split revenue with Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, and Minnesota.

Then again, perhaps the coin that the most massive moneymakers bring in (OSU, PSU, UM) drags the average up high enough that going solo would NOT benefit a school like Iowa or Michigan State. I really don't know.