people complaining about the cost of our scoreboard
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 49,861, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,289
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isubeatle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,337
    Points
    49,861
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 70

    people complaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Has anyone else run into a lot of people(isu and non isu fans) who are upset about ISU spending so much on our new scoreboard? I've had quite a few people saying they don't get how teachers salaries are being cut and how that should be spent on that. Or how it should be spent for other departments of colleges at the university.

    From my understanding, the scoreboard is being financed, and it will be paid for mostly by the money from the future big XII tv deals and the extra income. That money isn't spent anywhere else but athletics right?

    I understand that it's Iowa State UNIVERSITY and that it's purpose is for education. But why can't people understand that if you took away athletics that not only would the school die, but the town would be devastated. Is it a shame that athletics is a huge business and that sometimes education gets overshadowed by athletics? But if football and athletics become self sustainable, that will be a huge lift for the university as a whole.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 73,765, Level: 84
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ItsCyence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    3,361
    Points
    73,765
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 80

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Some people don't realize the world we live in.



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 20,089, Level: 43
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    949
    Points
    20,089
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Yes, Athletics money is separate from that of the university, except for the base salaries that coaches make (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

    The scoreboard was financed through athletics...Maybe I saw it on here, but wasn't it mentioned that the money we received from Nebby and CU leaving was used for the scoreboard?



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 110,882, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,268
    Points
    110,882
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 402

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    Has anyone else run into a lot of people(isu and non isu fans) who are upset about ISU spending so much on our new scoreboard? I've had quite a few people saying they don't get how teachers salaries are being cut and how that should be spent on that. Or how it should be spent for other departments of colleges at the university.

    From my understanding, the scoreboard is being financed, and it will be paid for mostly by the money from the future big XII tv deals and the extra income. That money isn't spent anywhere else but athletics right?

    I understand that it's Iowa State UNIVERSITY and that it's purpose is for education. But why can't people understand that if you took away athletics that not only would the school die, but the town would be devastated. Is it a shame that athletics is a huge business and that sometimes education gets overshadowed by athletics? But if football and athletics become self sustainable, that will be a huge lift for the university as a whole.
    The athletic department is self-sufficient except for a very small amount of dollars from the general fund which are being phased out. In short, if the athletic dept didn't exist, the money for the scoreboard wouldn't exist. So anyone who is upset about how much money it cost is completely misguided.

    I'm always amused there is a huge uproar when an ISU coach tops the list of the highest-paid state employees, but when an Iowa coach tops the list there is no such uproar. That always sets off the "do-gooders" who say we should be spending our money on feeding starving children. What they universally fail to understand is little, if any, of those salaries come from taxpayer dollars.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 17,642, Level: 40
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    reignofthetiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Opelika, AL
    Posts
    358
    Points
    17,642
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 27

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    yeah, pretty sure its all funded from the athletics budget and has no impact on the rest of the university's budget.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 440,264, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,030
    Points
    440,264
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcyfan82 View Post
    Yes, Athletics money is separate from that of the university, except for the base salaries that coaches make (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

    The scoreboard was financed through athletics...Maybe I saw it on here, but wasn't it mentioned that the money we received from Nebby and CU leaving was used for the scoreboard?
    I'm almost sure coaches salaries are paid out of the AD's budget. Ferentz is the highest paid state employee, but your tax $$$$ aren't being used to pay it. I'd assume once ISU's AD hits self sufficient status we'll have the same story here.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 96,360, Level: 96
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 690
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,211
    Points
    96,360
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 0

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    No, I haven't run into ANYONE who is upset about the scoreboard. Only those interested would know about it for the most part.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 21,080, Level: 44
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,296
    Points
    21,080
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 13

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    Has anyone else run into a lot of people(isu and non isu fans) who are upset about ISU spending so much on our new scoreboard? I've had quite a few people saying they don't get how teachers salaries are being cut and how that should be spent on that. Or how it should be spent for other departments of colleges at the university.

    From my understanding, the scoreboard is being financed, and it will be paid for mostly by the money from the future big XII tv deals and the extra income. That money isn't spent anywhere else but athletics right?

    I understand that it's Iowa State UNIVERSITY and that it's purpose is for education. But why can't people understand that if you took away athletics that not only would the school die, but the town would be devastated. Is it a shame that athletics is a huge business and that sometimes education gets overshadowed by athletics? But if football and athletics become self sustainable, that will be a huge lift for the university as a whole.
    Did any of them happen to comment how good it looks? My nephew went to the Shrine game and said it looks great. Just curious if anybody else was at the shrine game and saw it in person. Pictures are good and all, but usually they don't do it justice.

    About the moaners? You will always have those people who will ***** about something. The grass is green no it's not it's more of a fuchsia color.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 20,089, Level: 43
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    949
    Points
    20,089
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I'm almost sure coaches salaries are paid out of the AD's budget. Ferentz is the highest paid state employee, but your tax $$$$ aren't being used to pay it. I'd assume once ISU's AD hits self sufficient status we'll have the same story here.
    Hmm, interesting. I thought that whatever the base salary ($500,000 for example) came from the university. The rest of their money was paid from athletics, camps, radio, tv, etc.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    I haven't heard any of this backlash regarding how much it costs... Where have you seen/heard such people??



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 110,882, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,268
    Points
    110,882
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 402

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcyfan82 View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I thought that whatever the base salary ($500,000 for example) came from the university. The rest of their money was paid from athletics, camps, radio, tv, etc.
    I do not believe this is true at all and never has been as far as I know.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 223,189, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,030
    Points
    223,189
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 834
    Given: 389

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    This thread is the very first time I have ever heard/read of somebody complaining about the cost of the videoboard.


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 49,861, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,289
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isubeatle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,337
    Points
    49,861
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 70

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    I haven't heard any of this backlash regarding how much it costs... Where have you seen/heard such people??
    just people i know. mostly non isu fans, but for example one of my friends works for Reiman Gardens and is upset because they need money. One of them is my aunt who did graduate from Iowa, but also said she hates the fact that Ferentz is paid so much. Another is an art student friend of a friend that is upset that they need money to etc etc.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 440,264, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,030
    Points
    440,264
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    just people i know. mostly non isu fans, but for example one of my friends works for Reiman Gardens and is upset because they need money. One of them is my aunt who did graduate from Iowa, but also said she hates the fact that Ferentz is paid so much.
    Every department on campus thinks they need more money. There is so much bloat and wasted money it isn't even funny.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 211,975, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,820
    Points
    211,975
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 365
    Given: 1,308

    Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

    Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    just people i know. mostly non isu fans, but for example one of my friends works for Reiman Gardens and is upset because they need money. One of them is my aunt who did graduate from Iowa, but also said she hates the fact that Ferentz is paid so much. Another is an art student friend of a friend that is upset that they need money to etc etc.
    Well you can tell them to shut up, because it was used by AD money. No university funds or tax dollars were used.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM