Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Longhorn Network More Trouble than It's Worth?

The Longhorn Network regrets to inform you that because of today’s loss, our scheduled Texas-OU postgame coverage has been canceled. Please enjoy the Happy Days marathon.
    You think I’m kidding? This thing has possibilities that boggle the mind. Welcome to a whole new world of silliness.
    Wouldn’t you love to eavesdrop on a planning session?
    “Sorry, Joe, that line about Rick Barnes, you know, uh, not doing well in March didn’t make it past the censors. Don’t you have some video of Rick feeding the homeless? Let’s go with that.”
    See what I mean? Why have the Aggies worked themselves into such a lather? There’s no way this thing is going to generate a significant audience because there just aren’t enough orangebloods who are going to get worked up about a Texas-OU volleyball game.
    As for everything else, it’s going to be one long infomercial for Texas, and fans aren’t stupid. They’re going to know the network’s reporting and commentary have been filtered through the Texas propaganda machine.
    Fans want an independent voice, and the only place that can be found is from journalists and commentators without financial ties to ESPN or the Longhorn Network.
    The Longhorn Network is pleased to announce we’ll be repeating our acclaimed documentary: “Pay no attention to Austin American-Statesman columnist Kirk Bohls.’’
    Texas has the most money and best facilities. Unless that $15 million a year buys better judgment, it’s not going to make a dime’s worth of difference.

Read more: Justice: Longhorn Network is more trouble than it's worth | Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 379

Re: Longhorn Network More Trouble than It's Worth?

Isn't this kind of the same thing as the Big 10 Network, which I admit I don't watch much (I actually resent having to pay for it with my cable fee, along with Home Shopping and the chick channels).

Do they show a lot of games where Big 10 teams are getting beat by out of conference opponents?

Do they NOT run constant Big 10 and Big 10 school propaganda pieces??

Are there a lot of nice stories about Iowa State, Northern Illinois or Akron U. even though it is not of interest to the Big 10 network or their target audience?

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

Addict
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 237

Quote Originally Posted by MeanDean View Post
    Isn't this kind of the same thing as the Big 10 Network, which I admit I don't watch much (I actually resent having to pay for it with my cable fee, along with Home Shopping and the chick channels).

Do they show a lot of games where Big 10 teams are getting beat by out of conference opponents?

Do they NOT run constant Big 10 and Big 10 school propaganda pieces??

Are there a lot of nice stories about Iowa State, Northern Illinois or Akron U. even though it is not of interest to the Big 10 network or their target audience?
    This. I don't see the problem for Texas' target audience. They aren't going to care that it's a Texas propaganda machine. They're TEXAS FANS. Positive coverage on the Horns will hardly chap the hide of those fans. It's only annoying to A&M, OU, OSU, etc. fans, who Texas doesn't give two sh*ts about. They have such a large fanbase, that I'm sure their network won't have that much trouble turning a profit.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 569

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    This. I don't see the problem for Texas' target audience. They aren't going to care that it's a Texas propaganda machine. They're TEXAS FANS. Positive coverage on the Horns will hardly chap the hide of those fans. It's only annoying to A&M, OU, OSU, etc. fans, who Texas doesn't give two sh*ts about. They have such a large fanbase, that I'm sure their network won't have that much trouble turning a profit.
    Exactly. The percentage of fans that want a realistic view of their program and what it is really like is pretty insignificant overall. I would guess somewhere less then 10%. The other 90% only want to know about the greatness of the program, great recruiting, big wins, puff pieces about players and staff doing positive things, etc....

Look at Ohio State fans for example. They are still celebrating their Sugar Bowl win and the great season they had last year that just got vacated voluntarily. They are simply ignoring the fact that their program committed major NCAA violations to pull it off. They just want this NCAA violation stuff to go away so they can continue celebrating their greatness.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,624
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 133

The big ten network barely acknowledged the whole sweater vest fiasco, even on the day he stepped down.

#BEATIOWA

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 33

What programming is UT going to put on their channel? BYU has their own network and what is on it? I have dish network and I don't even remember ever seeing the BYU channel.

Pro
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 65

How is this any different than say Comcast with Chicago teams? Just because one if pro and one is not? People don't watch the Bears postgame live show to get an unbiased view. They want Bears info. Same with the Longhorn network...they're going to want interviews and stuff after the games from a Texas standpoint. I don't see any problem with it if like was said this weekend or sometime, they leave the high school stuff out. Slippery slope for the recruiting violations there.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 33

BYUtv - Schedule - Daily

Just googled BYU TV and that schedule is brutal - the only people that want that channel are BYU folks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by cygrads View Post
    BYUtv - Schedule - Daily

Just googled BYU TV and that schedule is brutal - the only people that want that channel are BYU folks.
    Personally, I love the Quilting and Yoga classes. Gets those competitive football juices flowing, doesn't it? I didn't know Mormons were allowed to practice other religions (Yoga is part of Hindu religious practice, it's not a gym routine).

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

From talking to a friend that works at the four letter, it sounds like they (ESPN) will make no money off this whole deal and will likely lose alot of money... They are hoping to use this as a platform to morph into a Big XII network where they can actually make some money, but have to wait for the primary TV deal to be up. This way, they already have everything in place for an easy transition.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno