Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

Interesting take on pay for play

I was on the msnfoxsports website tonight and found an interesting article on how the pay for play for college athletes could bring on a very new and possible potential problem. According to the article written by Lisa Horne,if college athletes are ruled to be employees of the college or university if a pay for play system is instituted,a union,such as the teamsters,could help the players form a union which could lead to.....collective bargaining. It's an interesting read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Interesting take on pay for play

I'm of the opinion that there's enough room to make sure athletes are able live comfortably within the current system. In addition, the quality of an education taken seriously can't be overstated. Honestly, I think there should be majors like Sports Business or things like that. At least then kids could major in something they plan on doing with their lives.

Thumbs Up

If the subject of the thread you created was referencing an article, don't you think it would be smart to put a link to said article??

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by cyspy View Post
    I was on the msnfoxsports website tonight and found an interesting article on how the pay for play for college athletes could bring on a very new and possible potential problem. According to the article written by Lisa Horne,if college athletes are ruled to be employees of the college or university if a pay for play system is instituted,a union,such as the teamsters,could help the players form a union which could lead to.....collective bargaining. It's an interesting read.
    Not only are there potential union issues but also major issues with insurance and worker comp. That's why you will never see pay for play. What you might see is a small increase to cost of attendence but it would have to apply for all athletes at all schools.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 440
    Given: 132

Quote Originally Posted by LeSchmick View Post
    If the subject of the thread you created was referencing an article, don't you think it would be smart to put a link to said article??
    Really? It's literally on the front page of foxsports.com.

Since you couldn't seem to figure it out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post

We shouldn't all have to figure it out when it would have taken you an extra 10 seconds to just attach the link to the exact article.
    You started the thread. Don't make people have to hunt stuff down just so they can know what you are talking about.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 39

Play for Pay should only be allowed at PROFESSIONAL Level. This IS College Athletics. The Ohio State's and Texas's would have an even greater advantage than now. ISU has enough trouble just trying to get the money for upgrades to facilities. HOW would ISU and other poor schools afford to "PAY" the players as well.

DUMB IDEA. This has just come about because OHIO STATE has just been caught cheating. I say that you cut the scholarship levels to about HALF for Ohio State Football. Put some TEETH into the penalty. Make it a BIG penalty.

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 250

The only thing that I would be relatively okay with would be to pay them the "full cost of attendance". There are players who can't afford to go home during the school year, even when the time for such a trip is available. Make it so that the school can pay for, say 2 trips home per academic year.

Holding down a job when you are a college athlete at a major school, particularly if you're a football or basketball player, finding time to hold down a job can be very difficult too. If a player is living in an apartment, their food is not paid for by their scholarship. They get money for meals on road trips, so why not give them a weekly allowance for groceries (IF they live off-campus)? $100 a week for something like that should be plenty.

Their social life is one area that shouldn't be paid for by the schools. But food and a couple trips home would be alright, IMO.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Sloup View Post
    I'm of the opinion that there's enough room to make sure athletes are able live comfortably within the current system. In addition, the quality of an education taken seriously can't be overstated. Honestly, I think there should be majors like Sports Business or things like that. At least then kids could major in something they plan on doing with their lives.
    Anyone who doesn't think they live comfortable right now is nuts. I would love to have my housing, food, clothing, and everything else covered. The ones who aren't flush with money even have access to an emergency fund the athletics department keeps in case they would need to fly home or something (NCAA approval required of course). The volleyball players get a $900 stipend per month that's tax free. Any normal student has to work over 30 hours per week to clear that kind of money.

And there are ways to major like that...marketing...management...the problem enlies with the fact that the majority of the athletes pick out worthless majors that leave them with no specialty when they get out of school. They can find a job because they have a degree (well, some of them do) but they have no extra skills to move up.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Holding down a job when you are a college athlete at a major school, particularly if you're a football or basketball player, finding time to hold down a job can be very difficult too. If a player is living in an apartment, their food is not paid for by their scholarship. They get money for meals on road trips, so why not give them a weekly allowance for groceries (IF they live off-campus)? $100 a week for something like that should be plenty.
    I don't know how it works elsewhere, but at Iowa State they have the option of living on campus and getting their meal plan and everything taken care of or if they live off campus, they get a stipend for the amount of what they would get for living on campus with a meal plan if I understand correctly.

In regards to working, they can do like all other students do and spend the summer working at least part time. I know the majority of Iowa State's athletes DO have workouts during the summer (especially football and basketball) but that's a couple of hours per day. The rest is spent on Facebook, Twitter, XBox Live, etc.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Me State View Post
    We shouldn't all have to figure it out when it would have taken you an extra 10 seconds to just attach the link to the exact article.
    You started the thread. Don't make people have to hunt stuff down just so they can know what you are talking about.
    First off, CyFan didn't start the thread. The original OP only has two posts total, so he probably didn't know the etiquette that we usually do around here. It's more or less and unwritten rule that if you're going to quote a source, it's best to provide the link as well....

Regardless, lets keeps this on topic as the link has been provided.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 250

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I don't know how it works elsewhere, but at Iowa State they have the option of living on campus and getting their meal plan and everything taken care of or if they live off campus, they get a stipend for the amount of what they would get for living on campus with a meal plan if I understand correctly.

In regards to working, they can do like all other students do and spend the summer working at least part time. I know the majority of Iowa State's athletes DO have workouts during the summer (especially football and basketball) but that's a couple of hours per day. The rest is spent on Facebook, Twitter, XBox Live, etc.
    As far as a job is concerned, I was only talking about during the school year. Most students have a job somewhere during the school year, but for athletes it can be tough to find the time when they're juggling both school and athletics. It certainly takes away from the "college experience" if they don't have any time to do anything but school, sport, work. And I don't even mean drinking.

For example, at Iowa we have Dance Marathon, which is basically a week-long fundraiser to help support both cancer patients and their families at the UHIC Children's Hospital, and the name speaks for itself. It's a really cool event, and something that a football player might miss out on. I know Adam Robinson spent quite a bit of time there last fall, but I also think it's clear that he didn't take his academics very seriously, either.

There are countless other events that most students get to enjoy that an athlete who has a job may not. I guess I don't know how all the stipends work, but I was under the impression that their food is not paid for if they live off-campus. Their rent is paid for, I know that much, but I'm not sure about food.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011