Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 0

Luke Knott question

It seems everyone has penciled in Luke Knott as a safety for ISU, but I was wondering what everyone thought his chances might be at following in his brother's footsteps and becoming a LB for us?

He's listed at 6'1" and 195 lbs, I believe. But he's still got one year left of high school. I could easily see him being 6'2" or 6'3" and maybe 210-215 lbs by the time he comes to ISU as a true freshman?

I just think that with the current lack of depth at LB, it would sure be nice if Luke Knott and Kane Seeley could both be future stud LBs for us?

Thoughts?

Rookie
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Luke Knott question

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    It seems everyone has penciled in Luke Knott as a safety for ISU, but I was wondering what everyone thought his chances might be at following in his brother's footsteps and becoming a LB for us?

He's listed at 6'1" and 195 lbs, I believe. But he's still got one year left of high school. I could easily see him being 6'2" or 6'3" and maybe 210-215 lbs by the time he comes to ISU as a true freshman?

I just think that with the current lack of depth at LB, it would sure be nice if Luke Knott and Kane Seeley could both be future stud LBs for us?

Thoughts?
    I think you are on the right track.

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Thoughts?
    We only have what, 6 commits right now? The staff will no doubt continue to pursue a bunch of LBs to fill the depth. I don't think we will have to use an undersized prospect and build him up.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    We only have what, 6 commits right now? The staff will no doubt continue to pursue a bunch of LBs to fill the depth. I don't think we will have to use an undersized prospect and build him up.
    We do that almost all the time, at nearly every position. Rosie Maggitt was 210 lbs when he came here. Now he's in the 240's. Most of the LBs we recruit are around 6'2" and 215 lbs or so. Actually Jeremiah George and Floyd Mattison were MUCH smaller than that even.

If Luke Knott grows one inch and puts on 10-15 lbs in the next year, he'd be about exactly the size LB we normally recruit. Plus, Luke might be a tad slow as a safety, but he'd be considered quite fast for a LB.

We almost ALWAYS recruit undersized guys and bulk them up to play a bigger position without trying to compromise their speed. Most teams do. Brian Urlacher played safety in college as a senior. The Bears drafted him, bulked him up a bit and made him a beast at LB. It happens all the time. Ben Lamaak played TE and QB in high school. I rest my case.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Thoughts?
    I'm really bad at predicting the future

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    I'm really bad at predicting the future
    Me too, but I just think that Luke might see a bit of a growth spurt at some point? His brother weighs nearly 50 lbs more than him right now and has 2 inches on him as well.

I just think that if anything, Luke is going to get bigger over the next couple years, not smaller.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 42

Pretty unlikely he grows any taller at this point, but we've had plenty of 6-1 LBs so he doesn't necessarily need to. I guess he would most likely be a SS or OLB depending on his speed and how much weight he puts on.

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

We do that almost all the time, at nearly every position. Rosie Maggitt was 210 lbs when he came here. Now he's in the 240's. Most of the LBs we recruit are around 6'2" and 215 lbs or so. Actually Jeremiah George and Floyd Mattison were MUCH smaller than that even.

If Luke Knott grows one inch and puts on 10-15 lbs in the next year, he'd be about exactly the size LB we normally recruit. Plus, Luke might be a tad slow as a safety, but he'd be considered quite fast for a LB.

We almost ALWAYS recruit undersized guys and bulk them up to play a bigger position without trying to compromise their speed. Most teams do. Brian Urlacher played safety in college as a senior. The Bears drafted him, bulked him up a bit and made him a beast at LB. It happens all the time. Ben Lamaak played TE and QB in high school. I rest my case.
    How many teams in the Big 12 send out guys who are only 5-10 at LB? No many. We have one, and there are no signs that Mattison is ready to see maningful minutes. I would rather try to recruit some LB prosepcts with good size. I think Rhoads will find a place for Knott, and I think safety is a goo start. Could he end up at LB? Maybe, but we will have to wait and see.

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 97

You are mistaken.
    Luke Knott - Yahoo! Sports

It would be nice if someone one day became "future stud linebackers". However, I am also pretty sure that CPR and Wally have just begun recruiting--and it'll only get easier with the season this LB corps is about to have.

And MUCH faster.

If Luke Knott grows one inch and puts on 10-15 lbs in the next year, he'd be about exactly the size LB we normally recruit.
    Given the kind of exaggeration inherent to most unconfirmed Rivals profiles, that would probably make him 6'1" 195.

Pretty sure that Urlacher was already around 6'4" 245 for the NFL combine. He was simply a freak of nature.

Who knows what could happen? I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Luke wound up a 6'1" 230 linebacker, but I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch, either.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,727
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 69

Urlacher was not a safety. New Mexico used a 3-3-5 which meant that Urlacher was used as a linebacker/safety. I believe they called that position a Lobo back. He was essentially a hybrid linebacker.

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    You are mistaken.
    Luke Knott - Yahoo! Sports

You are too.
    Luke Knott 2012 Football Recruiting Profile - ESPN

First four seconds of video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqNGsCm_hQY]‪Luke Knott Football Highlights‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry if this has been said before, but I feel kinda stupid asking. Why did they go to 2 different high schools if they are brothers? Jake went to Waukee (Iowa) and Luke is currently going to Lee Sumits (Missouri). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Thoughts?
    i think it will be a question of speed. if he is fast enough to play safety i think he will. if he is one step slow, i think the coaches will bulk him up and turn him into his older brother.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Cycofan1 View Post
    Sorry if this has been said before, but I feel kinda stupid asking. Why did they go to 2 different high schools if they are brothers? Jake went to Waukee (Iowa) and Luke is currently going to Lee Sumits (Missouri). Thanks!
    Their dad changed jobs after Jake graduated, moved to KC

#BEATIOWA

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cycofan1 View Post
    Just be happy we don't play against him.