Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Parker vs. Machado

Two very different quotes on Machado from Mac in span of a couple days....Before the second quote I expected Machado to perhaps start ahead of Taylor and Parker to be borderline play or redshirt. Below quotes are info on the two players. It will be interesting to see it play out. If Parker really was pushing Taylor I feel much better about the D-line situation

Wednesday Quote
    "Veterans Jon Davis and John Machado also have shown they will be called upon coming off serious injuries. .. Machado suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament last season against Oklahoma State playing on kickoff coverage. He's now pushing for a starting spot at defensive end along with junior Kurtis Taylor.

Machado is in his second year since transferring from Itawamba (Miss.) Community College.

"He's playing better now than he has in the time he's been there," McCarney said. "In the (scrimmage) overtime today, I had him as one of the captains to come out for the coin flip. I'm real proud of the kid and the improvement he's made. He's going to be more than just a kickoff cover guy. He'll help our defense."

Thursday Quote

True freshman defensive end) Rashawn Parker has been outstanding and in fact, he was clearly pushing Kurtis for the No. 1 spot. Every coach on the team would confirm it. (Senior defensive lineman) John Machado has to step it up for us. We'll continue to look at a lot of guys.

John Machado # 92 Defensive Line - DL Height: 6-3 Weight: 245 Senior
    Juco from American Itawamba CC Hometown Miami, Fla. Rashawn Parker # 29 Defensive Line - DL Height: 6-0 Weight: 235 Freshman Previous Affiliations Ponca City Hometown Ponca City, Okla.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Parker is also heavier now, I don't have the link, but I read that he was approaching 250 after summer workouts.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Here you go:

"I'm real proud of him," said McCarney of the 6-foot, 255-pound Parker. "He and Josh are both 18-year old freshmen from [the same place] and they are both going to play, and will possibly both be playing a lot this year. I think their maturity levels are way beyond their age. They came in in great shape. They were here for most of the summer in the bridge program, which means they are getting academically acclimated and learning how to prepare physically at this level.

"I couldn't imagine being more proud of those two freshmen for how far they've come in a real short amount of time. (Parker) has got a good motor, a good athleticism. He's got good hands, good feet and he's a real coachable kid. Mike Nelson, my defensive line coach, is just thrilled with him so far."

Berryman was listed as 250 on his player card, which was higher than his pro-workout weight. So Parker at 255 is heavier than Berryman ever was. Although I heard they took away the weights in jail, so I'm sure that made a difference.

Prospect
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Here you go:

"I'm real proud of him," said McCarney of the 6-foot, 255-pound Parker. "He and Josh are both 18-year old freshmen from [the same place] and they are both going to play, and will possibly both be playing a lot this year. I think their maturity levels are way beyond their age. They came in in great shape. They were here for most of the summer in the bridge program, which means they are getting academically acclimated and learning how to prepare physically at this level.

"I couldn't imagine being more proud of those two freshmen for how far they've come in a real short amount of time. (Parker) has got a good motor, a good athleticism. He's got good hands, good feet and he's a real coachable kid. Mike Nelson, my defensive line coach, is just thrilled with him so far."

Berryman was listed as 250 on his player card, which was higher than his pro-workout weight. So Parker at 255 is heavier than Berryman ever was. Although I heard they took away the weights in jail, so I'm sure that made a difference.

Excellent Post! That is GREAT news that RP has beefed up!

I don't know if you can compare anyone with Berryman though, he was basically 230 soaking wet his freshman year. How often do you see someone come in as a true freshman on the d-line at that weight and dominate? Does it ever happen? Its a little like Larry Station at Iowa in the 80's, the guy was 5'10 220 pounds and maybe the best linebacker in the country.

isu_pimps

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 41
    There is a lot of talk about Machado and Parker, but what about Frere and Ferguson? What's going on with these two? Are they going to contribute at D-End?

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Actually, Berryman weighed 218 pounds as a true freshman and became a freshman all-American. No kidding!