Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,387, Level: 27
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    230
    Points
    8,387
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 50

    Interesting take on Netflix

    Plays Netflix as the good guys, forcing Hollywood to change distribution.
    Is Netflix killing DVDs like Apple killed floppies? (Q&A) | Media Maverick - CNET News



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 88,196, Level: 92
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,154
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,204
    Points
    88,196
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 91

    Re: Interesting take on Netflix

    What I wonder about is when the cable company's will start billing on data usage like what's starting to go on with Cell phone's? If that happens it could be a game changer for a company like Neflix.

    DVD's are so cheap to get or rent anymore. Just not sure if they're going to go away as fast as this article suggests.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 218,294, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    11,149
    Points
    218,294
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 810
    Given: 539

    Re: Interesting take on Netflix

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    What I wonder about is when the cable company's will start billing on data usage like what's starting to go on with Cell phone's? If that happens it could be a game changer for a company like Neflix.

    DVD's are so cheap to get or rent anymore. Just not sure if they're going to go away as fast as this article suggests.
    I think cable companies will want to be careful with how much of that they pull. I think there is a younger generation that is perfectly willing to ditch cable for streaming boxes or some sort of media PC set-up on their TV.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 88,196, Level: 92
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,154
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,204
    Points
    88,196
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 91

    Re: Interesting take on Netflix

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I think cable companies will want to be careful with how much of that they pull. I think there is a younger generation that is perfectly willing to ditch cable for streaming boxes or some sort of media PC set-up on their TV.
    Maybe. Maybe not. High Speed Cable is still superior to most other forms. Ditch that and go to Cell system? Looks to me like the Cell phone company's already have a plan in place to make money off that.

    I get a laugh out of how some think this is a primarily younger generation issue. The Boomer's have proven over time to be one of the largest anti-establisment/early adopter groups out there.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 459,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    40,233
    Points
    459,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 75

    Re: Interesting take on Netflix

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    What I wonder about is when the cable company's will start billing on data usage like what's starting to go on with Cell phone's? If that happens it could be a game changer for a company like Neflix.

    DVD's are so cheap to get or rent anymore. Just not sure if they're going to go away as fast as this article suggests.
    Qwest caps internet already, they just don't tell you the cap number. Once you hit it, you will get a letter saying you are over the cap and to reduce your usage or they will disconnect you. Qwest hates netflix.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 218,294, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    11,149
    Points
    218,294
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 810
    Given: 539

    Re: Interesting take on Netflix

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. High Speed Cable is still superior to most other forms. Ditch that and go to Cell system? Looks to me like the Cell phone company's already have a plan in place to make money off that.

    I get a laugh out of how some think this is a primarily younger generation issue. The Boomer's have proven over time to be one of the largest anti-establisment/early adopter groups out there.
    I meant more along the lines of right now Mediacom has two sources of income coming from my home, cable and internet. I think there are a lot of people perfectly willing to cut that down to one.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 428,167, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    64,136
    Points
    428,167
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,306
    Given: 971

    Re: Interesting take on Netflix

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Qwest caps internet already, they just don't tell you the cap number. Once you hit it, you will get a letter saying you are over the cap and to reduce your usage or they will disconnect you. Qwest hates netflix.
    Qwest is now Century Link and fading fast.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Interesting take on Netflix

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I meant more along the lines of right now Mediacom has two sources of income coming from my home, cable and internet. I think there are a lot of people perfectly willing to cut that down to one.
    And the point was if you cut that down to one and they start billing you by the GB like cell phone companies do, it'll get expensive fast


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM