Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 22

Texas talks about longhorn network

Sports - CBSSports.com Sports News, Fantasy Scores, Sports Video

"Dodds said he realizes some Big 12 rivals might be upset if their game against Texas was put on network and their fans were asked to buy it. Dodds has proposed letting the Big 12 have a say in which game be moved to the network and allowing that school to keep its regular allotment of games on ESPN or Fox, the league's network partners.

Dodds also said Texas would pay those schools to have the game on the network, but did not say how much."

So does this mean some team that wasn't going to be on TV at all will instead get paid to be on the LHN?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 193

Re: Texas talks about longhorn network

Quote Originally Posted by CyOps View Post
    So does this mean some team that wasn't going to be on TV at all will instead get paid to be on the LHN?
    I recall similar conclusions being reached in a couple of other threads that came out when this "game" was announced.

Of course, A&M has already declared that LHN will bring Armageddon to their program and the Big 12, so the remaining Big 12 schools must panic now and jump ship for other conferences...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 63

If the only conference games on the LHN are ones that wouldn't be picked up by Fox or ESPN anyway, then this deal is a win for everybody. Considering that all conference games are supposed to be televised as part of the new Fox deal by 2012, I say this arrangement is more than fair.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,536
    Given: 2,069

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    If the only conference games on the LHN are ones that wouldn't be picked up by Fox or ESPN anyway, then this deal is a win for everybody. Considering that all conference games are supposed to be televised as part of the new Fox deal by 2012, I say this arrangement is more than fair.
    And let's say they picked up the A&M game (even though that's an ABC thing usually, if I remember right). Are Aggie fans not going to see the game?

Of course they will. They're in Texas, where the LHN will have its strongest foothold.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 649
    Given: 315

Except thats not what's going on.

Fox agreed to sell a 2nd tier game (that wouldve been on fox) to the LHN.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 63

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post

Hmm didn't know that. Just did some more research on this, and since Fox owns the rights to broadcast all Big 12 football games on cable, they have to grant a waiver for LHN to broadcast the game. They did, but does anyone know why? Only reason I could find is so Fox can start airing Big 12 football games on their over-the-air network (which would be sweet), but how are these two events related? Also, given the instability this is causing, I'd think Fox would want to protect is investment by not doing this to stop all the chaos this is creating.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 649
    Given: 315

Hmm didn't know that. Just did some more research on this, and since Fox owns the rights to broadcast all Big 12 football games on cable, they have to grant a waiver for LHN to broadcast the game. They did, but does anyone know why? Only reason I could find is so Fox can start airing Big 12 football games on their over-the-air network (which would be sweet), but how are these two events related? Also, given the instability this is causing, I'd think Fox would want to protect is investment by not doing this to stop all the chaos this is creating.
    ABC\ESPN probably owned the rights to sole over the air broadcasting as part of its tier one deal. ESPN allows Fox to broadcast on its OTA network, ESPN gets an additional game on its longhorn network. Fox must see the additional benefit from having games on Fox as greater than the loss of one of its games to LHN.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post

Fox agreed to let ABC take a Tier 1 game and put it on cable. They didn't sell off one of their own games.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 345
    Given: 274

I thought the bigger issue here was showing high school recruit's games?

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 60

If broadcasting games of your recruits on your network isn't in violation of NCAA recruiting rules, then there is no such thing as an NCAA recruiting violation. Either the NCAA puts a stop to this talk of broadcasting high school games on the LN, or stop all investigations immediately and let the schools and boosters do whatever they want in recruiting players. ESPN, by being a business partner with the UT AD, is IMO a UT booster under the NCAA definition of a booster.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Legend
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,256
    Given: 560

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    If broadcasting games of your recruits on your network isn't in violation of NCAA recruiting rules, then there is no such thing as an NCAA recruiting violation. Either the NCAA puts a stop to this talk of broadcasting high school games on the LN, or stop all investigations immediately and let the schools and boosters do whatever they want in recruiting players. ESPN, by being a business partner with the UT AD, is IMO a UT booster under the NCAA definition of a booster.
    High school kid gets on TV > HS kid gets handed a bag of cash and told "here, come play for us"? No way.

The first one might be a bit uncomfortable, considering not all NCAA schools have a network focused on themselves. But hey, not all schools have a jumbotron. If a kid comes to a school because he might get his picture on that screen someday, is it unfair to the schools that don't have one? Not really, but handing a kid a bag of cash is definitely a violation of the rules. So yes, this COULD not be a violation, even though other things could be. I just don't see your logic.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    High school kid gets on TV > HS kid gets handed a bag of cash and told "here, come play for us"? No way.

The first one might be a bit uncomfortable, considering not all NCAA schools have a network focused on themselves. But hey, not all schools have a jumbotron. If a kid comes to a school because he might get his picture on that screen someday, is it unfair to the schools that don't have one? Not really, but handing a kid a bag of cash is definitely a violation of the rules. So yes, this COULD not be a violation, even though other things could be. I just don't see your logic.
    Improper contact with a recruit by a school and/or booster. Money need not be involved, just unfair extended exposure to one school by one school.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 0

It is a violation for any school rep to talk about any unsigned recruit. since the announcers will be a part of the LHN, this may be a problem. It will depend if the NCAA thinks that a LHN employee who is payed by ESPN is representing a school. I would think that they would, but I've seen them make stranger decisions.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 165

That's my thinking too. Kids that are highly recruited (Top 5 in the class) are going to say "Ah, cool I'll be on TV but WTF is my duffel bag of cash?"

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 65

What I would do about the HS games is have them be covered by the "Big 12 Network". That means that all schools would have access to the telecast. If OU has their own network and wants to broadcast the same game, then they just pay BevoTV some sort of fee and they get to show it at the same time. Same thing with a combined rest-of-the-conference network. All HS games would be broadcast under the Big 12 Network and each channel showing it would have to pay a portion of the costs. Also, someone not associated with a university has to be the one to decide which games get televised.

To me, this makes a lot of sense because you could televise a lot of things under a Big 12 Network flag and then give everyone an option to show them if they pay a share of the production costs.

As far as showing a Big 12 game, to me that is not a big deal. Every game is going to be on TV next year. This is a one time thing to try to strongarm cable companies into putting the Bevo Channel on basic. Beebe should just make it so a conference opponent would have to sign off to have their game on that channel...and negotiate a settlement with UT so they get paid. I see no problem with that. Honestly, we're not used to having all our games on TV yet, so if ISU is on that channel one time, I'm not going to sweat it.

Last edited by Frak; 07-21-2011 at 11:39 AM.