Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

TT-ISU at Lubbock

so this game s a five hour drive for me, but I have heard that TT people are crazy. Anyone with good experiences and advice? I would be taking my father in law (the last time we went together was at tempe- so we are obviously good luck charms).

If you had bad experiences and want to bag on the red raiders, I would appreciate that too!

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Re: TT-ISU at Lubbock

Me and a group of friends are coming to this game from Dallas. I went to the TT-SMU game 3 years ago with a Tech buddy, and I saw quite a few SMU fans get ridiculed before the game (keep in mind, this was before SMU saw the success they had the past couple years, so it was like if ISU fans harassed NDSU fans). Watching the ISU-TT game at the bar in Dallas last year, a group of TT fans were trying to start a fight w/ us, because they were losing to "the Baylor of the North". I would say TT fans are some of the worst in the B12. They have a worse little brother syndrome than aTm, because people who go to TT are the people who couldn't get into UT or aTm. I don't want to say they are all bad, I have some friends who are TT grads, and they are good people. But you defenetelly want to be prepared for what may happen in Lubbock.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

I've never heard anyone say they had a good experience in Lubbock. Any Tech fans I've come across in Ames seem fine, so I don't really get it. But I've heard nothing but horror stories from people who went to games there.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 31

I was on vacation in San Antonio a few years ago and saw some TT fans. I was wearing ISU hat or shirt (don't remember which) and as we walked by them my wife and I said hi and all we got were Iowa State who and Iowa State sucks comments. I'm sure they have some very nice fans - you just have to find them.

Prospect
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyLoboClone View Post
    so this game s a five hour drive for me, but I have heard that TT people are crazy. Anyone with good experiences and advice? I would be taking my father in law (the last time we went together was at tempe- so we are obviously good luck charms).

If you had bad experiences and want to bag on the red raiders, I would appreciate that too!

I am a Cyclone Fan that lives in Lubbock..... Tech fans can be pretty bad to the apposing fans, but they are the worst when they are Texas or Texas A&M fans... There are of course a lot of A-hole fans, as where anywhere you go, but I think most of the Tech Fans will be respectful to the ISU fans... I will be going to the game along with my nephew any a bunch of his buddies who attend ISU as well.. ... I would recommend 50 yard line for steaks and Abuelo's for mexican... Go Cyclones !!! If I can help with any questions about Lubbock, fire away.....

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Been to 3 games in Lubbock, usually fly from Albuquerque. TT fans are an not fans they are mindless drones. "Guns Up" or not Lubbock is dry hole, bring your booze with you or drive to Stanton to get a drink! I for one don't plan on ever going back to any more TT games, Lubbock has nothing to offer but more West Texas non scenery.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by loboclone View Post
    Been to 3 games in Lubbock, usually fly from Albuquerque. TT fans are an not fans they are mindless drones. "Guns Up" or not Lubbock is dry hole, bring your booze with you or drive to Stanton to get a drink! I for one don't plan on ever going back to any more TT games, Lubbock has nothing to offer but more West Texas non scenery.
    I thought that changed in 2009?

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,108
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by loboclone View Post
    yeah, I bet I will regret the drive and wont mind it- I am about to drive up to decorah, ia tomorrow and my mind will be numbed after the interminable diagonal across kansas... twice. Five hours to lubbock doesnt seem so bad.

Why a county would limit income by forbidding alcohol sales is beyond me. All the problems with drunkards still persist by importing beer from the next county over.

Thanks to all those that responded- I just want to see a game without driving the 11 hours to Baylor.

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I'm pretty sure alcohol sales are allowed in city limits now. When I was there 3 years ago they had "The Strip" right outside city limits where booze was sold by 3-4 liquor stores right next to each other, and they were lit up like the Vegas strip.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    I thought that changed in 2009?
    Up until May 9, 2009, Lubbock County allowed "by the drink" sales of alcohol, but not package sales, except at private institutions such as country clubs. Inside the Lubbock city limits, the situation was reversed with restaurants and bars able to serve alcohol but liquor stores are forbidden.

On August 12, 2008 the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce announced that they would lead the effort to get enough signatures to have a vote on allowing county-wide packaged alcohol sales.[15] The petition effort was successful and the question was put to the voters.

On May 9, 2009, Proposition 1, which expanded the sale of packaged alcohol in Lubbock County, passed by nearly a margin of 2 to 1 with 64.5 percent in favor. Proposition 2, which legalized the sale of mixed-drink in restaurants county-wide, passed with 69.5 percent in favor.[16] On September 23, 2009, The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission issued permits to more than 80 stores in Lubbock.[17]

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

Wait, so you couldn't even have bars in Lubbock until 2 years ago? Holy ****. I always thought "dry" counties only applied to off premises sale.

When you're in the middle of a barren area like Lubbock, booze is about the only available form of entertainment. I'm even more impressed with Mike Leach now.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyLoboClone View Post
    yeah, I bet I will regret the drive and wont mind it- I am about to drive up to decorah, ia tomorrow and my mind will be numbed after the interminable diagonal across kansas... twice. Five hours to lubbock doesnt seem so bad.

Are you from Decorah?... I'm from Waukon... talk about your rivalries...

I've been living in Dallas for the past nearly 30 years and am also considering the Tech game this year. I've got a buddy I work with who has Tech season tickets that I'll likely go with. I am one to believe that most Tech fans are pretty darn obnoxious.

I'm definitley going to the Baylor game and possibly the OU game as well.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,108
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No, I'm from CB, but I have a reunion at Luther College for a music camp I attended for years, and then my cousin is getting married at Waterloo too. It's going to suck- Albuquerque to CB then to Decorah the next day, then back to CB then to Waterloo, than all the way back to ABQ. I dont want to think of the miles... or the hours spent in the car. We have a two year old and will probably regret not getting that ipad.