Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Cyclone42

To the Chizik haters

This is for the people who want to fire Gene Chizik.

NFL Players - Search by College, Position, Last Name & Team Rosters - AOL Sports

That might be the ultimate determination of a college coach's legacy. There is a 'search by college' tool on that page. Keep in mind that Dan McCarney was here TWELVE YEARS. Look at the players ISU has in the NFL, then look at Nebraska's list. Or Iowa's, if you think they suck.

IT ISN'T CHIZIK'S FAULT. THESE AREN'T HIS PLAYERS.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 56

Re: To the Chizik haters

What the heck are you talking about? I haven't seen one person say Chizik should be fired.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 123

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? I haven't seen one person say Chizik should be fired.
    Then you didn't see some of the ridiculous posts from last night in the UNI post game thread.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

I don't think anyone wants to fire him after 2 games but people didn't expect to go 0-2 so you can understand the frustration after all the hype this offseason.

Go Cubs Go!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

Any Chizik haters are ISU haters as far as I'm concerned. Cripes...support the damn team and the coaching staff, have some frickin' patience. It's not like we went from top ten to this. This has been the norm more than winning has been.

Take a damn chill pill.

Ohhh...I'm sure I'll get murdered for this as well, but Blythe isn't the great white hope most of you seem to think he is. He is a good receiver and has potential to make a great play here and there but he isn't the second coming. We have MANY capable recievers and Blythe is one of them. Throwing the ball his way more will result in more turnovers and quicker 3 and outs more often than not in my opinion.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Then you didn't see some of the ridiculous posts from last night in the UNI post game thread.

I typically don't bother reading that drivel. People get rediculous after a loss.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post

Ohhh...I'm sure I'll get murdered for this as well, but Blythe isn't the great white hope most of you seem to think he is. He is a good receiver and has potential to make a great play here and there but he isn't the second coming. We have MANY capable recievers and Blythe is one of them. Throwing the ball his way more will result in more turnovers and quicker 3 and outs more often than not in my opinion.
    agreed. i am sick of hearing "throw it to blythe" i just want to see the ball go to an open receiver, preferably wearing cardinal and gold.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 2

The phrase "HIS PLAYERS" is probably the most ridiculous thing I continue to hear.

ISU has more talent than UNI and Kent State. Losing to them is unacceptable for any ISU coach. ISU has been unimpressive all around.

Why is it that the two teams we have faced look like they are a step ahead of every play we run on offense?

Our OC has fooled absolutely no one on any play that I have seen so far this year. Guess what, a high school coach could come up with a play that would give ISU an easy first down and the possibility for a lot more.

The running game has been the one positive and that's primarily due to the fact that we don't have Stevie Hicks running the ball anymore.

You can chalk some things up to talent, but not everything. ISU has not looked well coached so far and all these excuses make you sound like the Walden supporters. That's BS. You can win anywhere if you have a great coach.

I am far from jumping off the Chizik bandwagon, but if he is making the same excuses as some of you are, then ISU is in for one prolonged losing streak. ISU has enough talent to win games. End of story.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 794
    Given: 525

I do not believe there are any Gene haters. It is just that we looked better against Toledo and UNI last year offnsively that we did this year against Kent State and UNI offensively. What is going on here with older receivers, better juco linemeen, better playcalling, and crummier results. That is all.

And yes, chances from a certain columnist may be on mark. This may be 2003, four years later, all over again. If we do not beat Iowa, our next winning hope REALISTICALLY, is Kansas State.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-09-2007 at 03:00 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by D UP Clones View Post
    ISU has enough talent to win games. End of story.
    I respectfully disagree with that statement. Our two opponents so far had better players/talent/depth especially in the trenches.

UNI had bigger D-linemen then us!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35

Take away the Meyer and Sandvig turnovers, and make the Field Goals and where are we? You can blame the coaches for those if you want, but I don't.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 2

Bigger dlinemen?

There are NAIA schools with huge Dlinemen. That doesn't mean a thing.

Why has Bowen looked bad so far?

Why has Meyer looked worse than ever so far?

Why is Blythe walking around the field much of the time?

Why are ISU's talented receiver never open by much?

You hire coaches to get the most out of the talent they have and can recruit. Walden had more talent than people realized as well. You still have to coach it. That is why you pay coaches so much. They make a huge difference if they are good at what they do.

I'll chalk it up to inexperience on Chizik's part for now, but I have seen very little to make me think ISU isn't in trouble for a long time. Everybody always says it's the players. That way the coach takes none of the flak. Good coaches laugh when they hear such things, because they know better.

Even a poor team can do some things very well with good coaches. Specialty teams is one. Remember when Fabris had one of the best specialty teams in the nation at ISU. Most of those players were walk ons and guys who never saw the field.

Coaches make a difference. If not, why are we paying them so much?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 794
    Given: 525

Guess thuis means the current staff better find some new keys to a new vehicle and trade in the old one. I know we have talent and most players are in right sport. Last year we had gang tackling that kept the damage down but this year we are spread out and must make the tackles solely. It is working somwehat as UNI only had 327 yards to 416. That was an improvement.

We are losing due to two picks a game, stupid fumbling on punt returns and PATs, missed tackles as people run by our players, badly timed penalities, possible lack of heart by some players, and general loss of confidence, none in any particular order.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Yes, big linemen don't really mean much, but undersized linemen (and linebackers) do mean a lot. Notice over the past few years how our defense wears down? One of the biggest factors in that is player size in these positions. You don't see the USC's, Texas, etc. (even Iowa) of the world playing with undersized linemen and linebackers for a reason.

Part of the reason the players you mention are looking worse than last year is because they are playing within a new system. Another is that IMO we have all overestimated a lot of our player's true talent.

For example, Bowen is a good talent, but he is undersized at his position, I'd bet he would not be the starter for many teams in the B12. I know he is All B12 and lead the nation in tackles, but who would you rather have, him or a guy like Dobbins who was feared by our opponents?

A few talented players don't make a good team. 22 talented starters and talented adequate backups do. How many do we have that are talented??? How many do you honestly think would be in the two-deeps for a bowl qualifying team?

Historically, teams that change coaches under the same conditions have these same problems.

There is no quick fix for this team.

Last edited by herbicide; 09-09-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 546

Chizik has been apart of championship teams with Auburn and Texas. He knows what it takes to win.

For some reasons ISU fans think they know what it takes to win. We have never won anything at ISU. Ever.

Let the man do his thing.