Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 11,488, Level: 32
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CloneSolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    201
    Points
    11,488
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 80

    CFH is most like ............

    Interesting debate topic. I was talking with my cousin (avid Hawk Fawn - yet non-alumnus), and we among other Cy-Hawk subjects got into the CFH discussion. He surprised me by admitting that he felt the ISU - Iowa MBB rivalry was, what he said "going to be very one-sided over the next few decades". I loved hearing this, but our next topic was even more shocking.

    When I told him that CFH reminded me of a young Coach K. He first snickered then actually thought for a moment (took him sometime to process), and to my shock said pretty much agreed. I know this is a pretty unfair comparison, and by no means am I saying CFH is, or has accomplished anything like Coach K has. Just thought I would open the question up to the fanatics of which older successful coach does CFH remind you of (young version of)......



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 24,139, Level: 47
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    sunnysideup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Metro
    Posts
    1,403
    Points
    24,139
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 62

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneSolo View Post
    Interesting debate topic. I was talking with my cousin (avid Hawk Fawn - yet non-alumnus), and we among other Cy-Hawk subjects got into the CFH discussion. He surprised me by admitting that he felt the ISU - Iowa MBB rivalry was, what he said "going to be very one-sided over the next few decades". I loved hearing this, but our next topic was even more shocking.

    When I told him that CFH reminded me of a young Coach K. He first snickered then actually thought for a moment (took him sometime to process), and to my shock said pretty much agreed. I know this is a pretty unfair comparison, and by no means am I saying CFH is, or has accomplished anything like Coach K has. Just thought I would open the question up to the fanatics of which older successful coach does CFH remind you of (young version of)......
    That's pretty lofty predicting there. Few seasons? I can see that. Few decades? That's a different story.


    Yeah TOAST!!!

  3. #3
    Walk On
    Points: 11,488, Level: 32
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CloneSolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    201
    Points
    11,488
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 80

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    That's pretty lofty predicting there. Few seasons? I can see that. Few decades? That's a different story.
    Well said, but look what Hayden Fry did to ISU Football. It was a domination that covered decades....



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 119,141, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    balken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,643
    Points
    119,141
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    CFH most like...



    Mark Paul Gosselaar aka Zack Morris as Superman



  5. #5
    Prospect
    Points: 7,720, Level: 26
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    68
    Points
    7,720
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneSolo View Post
    Interesting debate topic. I was talking with my cousin (avid Hawk Fawn - yet non-alumnus), and we among other Cy-Hawk subjects got into the CFH discussion. He surprised me by admitting that he felt the ISU - Iowa MBB rivalry was, what he said "going to be very one-sided over the next few decades". I loved hearing this, but our next topic was even more shocking.

    When I told him that CFH reminded me of a young Coach K. He first snickered then actually thought for a moment (took him sometime to process), and to my shock said pretty much agreed. I know this is a pretty unfair comparison, and by no means am I saying CFH is, or has accomplished anything like Coach K has. Just thought I would open the question up to the fanatics of which older successful coach does CFH remind you of (young version of)......
    Waaaaay too early to tell yet, but I will compare Fred to Rick Pitino. Been in the NBA, likes a run/gun offense. Depends on what kind of defense/trapping defense he may run once we have the horses.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 19,151, Level: 42
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    1,213
    Points
    19,151
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 12

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    ISU may win more games over the next few decades but it's not going to be at the level IA has dominated ISU in football. We had a stretch in there where were competitive and won a few games but over the last several we haven't been able to go 80 yards against IA. That is pretty dominating.

    As far as coach K goes the similarities are closer than you might know. I may not have all the details correct but when coach K was at Army under Bob Knight, Coach K had two job offers Duke a relatively unknown at the time and Iowa State. Obviously he chose Duke I believe to build his own program from the ground up. and the rest is history. Hopefully we have our Coach H now



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 135,824, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Naughtius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    2,624
    Points
    135,824
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 5

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    Dunno, but his singing voice is a cross between Jesus and Fergie


    "Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 71,236, Level: 82
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyballz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    890
    Points
    71,236
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 21

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCyIce View Post
    ISU may win more games over the next few decades but it's not going to be at the level IA has dominated ISU in football. We had a stretch in there where were competitive and won a few games but over the last several we haven't been able to go 80 yards against IA. That is pretty dominating.

    As far as coach K goes the similarities are closer than you might know. I may not have all the details correct but when coach K was at Army under Bob Knight, Coach K had two job offers Duke a relatively unknown at the time and Iowa State. Obviously he chose Duke I believe to build his own program from the ground up. and the rest is history. Hopefully we have our Coach H now
    Duke was one of the winningest college bball programs BEFORE Coack K ever arrived. In fact, they were the national runner up in 1978 and the previous coach had over a 60% winning % in 6 years. Coach K interviewed with ISU but I don't think you can categorize the situation as him choosing between the two, because I don't think he ever had an offer. Choosing Duke was a no-brainer for Kruzycbksfdwhatever.

    Anyway, at the time no sane person would have been more happy with an unknown guy from Army than an established successful coach like Orr.


    read this post quickly - it might not last long

  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 11,488, Level: 32
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CloneSolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    201
    Points
    11,488
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 80

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCyIce View Post
    ISU may win more games over the next few decades but it's not going to be at the level IA has dominated ISU in football. We had a stretch in there where were competitive and won a few games but over the last several we haven't been able to go 80 yards against IA. That is pretty dominating.

    As far as coach K goes the similarities are closer than you might know. I may not have all the details correct but when coach K was at Army under Bob Knight, Coach K had two job offers Duke a relatively unknown at the time and Iowa State. Obviously he chose Duke I believe to build his own program from the ground up. and the rest is history. Hopefully we have our Coach H now
    Very interesting, didn't know any of that back story. Thanks for sharing.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 19,151, Level: 42
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    1,213
    Points
    19,151
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 12

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyballz View Post
    Duke was one of the winningest college bball programs BEFORE Coack K ever arrived. In fact, they were the national runner up in 1978 and the previous coach had over a 60% winning % in 6 years. Coach K interviewed with ISU but I don't think you can categorize the situation as him choosing between the two, because I don't think he ever had an offer. Choosing Duke was a no-brainer for Kruzycbksfdwhatever.

    Anyway, at the time no sane person would have been more happy with an unknown guy from Army than an established successful coach like Orr.
    Regardless of details there was a time where coach kryzcheweskwriski could have been at ISU.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 42,415, Level: 63
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ca4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Central IA
    Posts
    1,633
    Points
    42,415
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 32

    Re: CFH is most like ............




  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 43,812, Level: 64
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,018
    Points
    43,812
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 0

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    In what way is he like Coach K?



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 99,160, Level: 98
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,890
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,503
    Points
    99,160
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 4

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    This and your "tempering expectations" thread make for some great juxtaposition.


    TRUE AND VALIANT

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 47,482, Level: 67
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PabloDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,817
    Points
    47,482
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 205

    Re: CFH is most like ............

    CFH is 100% original, comparisons are lame... also 100% badass



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 405,152, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,379
    Points
    405,152
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 494

    Re: CFH is most like ............



    CFH just starred in Battle: LA as a Marine Staff Sergeant

    Battle: Los Angeles - Rotten Tomatoes#


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. Texas Tech
  • November 22, 2014
  • 02:30 PM