Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Tempering My Expectations

Don't get me wrong, I am as excited as the next fanatic about seeing the CFH Project in Year #2. I also think the goal of our program should be to become not only a Big 12-2 power, but a national power. I also like the fact that our players have this mentality.

However, these guys have not even played a meaningful game together yet. There will be some growing pains, and a pretty steep learning curve. Do I think this team will be pretty salty when Big 12-2 play roles around, my bet is yes. But, I don't want to be disappointed when this team drops a few games they should have one because they are getting used to playing together, real-time game speed, and some pretty tough conference talent. I am trying to remember that ISU MBB has been in a declining state for the last 7-8 years, and it is a little unrealistic to think that CFH can bring us to the levels of TX, Kansas, Baylor, and TAMU in just 2 recruiting seasons.

With that said, anybody know when the NCAA regional finals tickets go on sale!

Last edited by CloneSolo; 07-19-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Re: Tempering our Expectations

We have Italy and 13 non conference games where only a couple will be against decent competition. Plus these guys played together all season last year. They will have plenty of time to have "gelled" by the time conference season rolls around.

It's really no different than Kentucky bringing in 6 freshmen every year that are talented. They gel in practice and then in non conference and by the time conference rolls around they are good to go. Sure Kentucky has all NBA players but they are still 17-18 year old new kids. At least our players are 20-22 years old

Speechless
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 1,034

At least we have our lowered expectations thread.

Why do people see the need to do this? If we have grownups here (and I know that's debatable), we'll have to deal with our expectations, whatever they are.

I'll go ahead and keep expecting a tournament appearance. If it doesn't happen, I'll deal with myself myself.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 4

We have 4 guys who shoot north of 40% from 3 and who are proven, and we have 2 highly-touted big men.
    I dont see why a tourney birth is a stretch.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 179

It seems to me that the Greg Mcdermott years have instilled in our fanbase the belief that making the NCAA Tournament is an incredibly difficult thing to achieve. Its not. We should expect to be there 50-70% of the time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting ISU MBB to succeed and compete for the NCAA Tourney. It should be our expectations. Yeah, some years we will rebuild and have little chance at making it, but most seasons where we have decent depth and talent - like this upcoming season - we should expect to be in contention for the Big Dance.

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It isn't like these guys just started playing basketball this past year. It is not that complex of game no matter how much GMAC tried to make it. Good players are good players.

I'm not saying we are going to win a national title but thinking this team will be competitive in the big 12 game in and game out is quite reasonable.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 12

Expectations is a great thing to have. Last year none of us had any expectations and it sucked. It's no fun going into a season expecting your team to do absolutely nothing.

We should expect to win every home game this year, that's what the great teams do.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    It seems to me that the Greg Mcdermott years have instilled in our fanbase the belief that making the NCAA Tournament is an incredibly difficult thing to achieve. Its not. We should expect to be there 50-70% of the time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting ISU MBB to succeed and compete for the NCAA Tourney. It should be our expectations. Yeah, some years we will rebuild and have little chance at making it, but most seasons where we have decent depth and talent - like this upcoming season - we should expect to be in contention for the Big Dance.
    I agree almost 100%, but I'd ramp the numbers up to 80-90% of the time, just as a personal preference that really says the same thing anyway.

Pro
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 337

Quote Originally Posted by CloneSolo View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am as excited as the next fanatic about seeing the CFH Project in Year #2. I also think the goal of our program should be to become not only a Big 12-2 power, but a national power. I also like the fact that our players have this mentality.

However, these guys have not even played a meaningful game together yet. There will be some growing pains, and a pretty steep learning curve. Do I think this team will be pretty salty when Big 12-2 play roles around, my bet is yes. But, I don't want to be disappointed when this team drops a few games they should have one because they are getting used to playing together, real-time game speed, and some pretty tough conference talent. I am trying to remember that ISU MBB has been in a declining state for the last 7-8 years, and it is a little unrealistic to think that CFH can bring us to the levels of TX, Kansas, Baylor, and TAMU in just 2 recruiting seasons.

With that said, anybody know when the NCAA regional finals tickets go on sale!
    Is anybody esle sick of these "temper your expectations" threads and replies?
    My expectations are where I expect them to be. Don't tell me what to do with my expectations.

In all honesty though, we have the most talent we've had in a while, and we have a coach that went .500 with a lack of talent. I ask, why temper expectations. Jump on the bandwagon. It's a fun ride. If you want to look at you half empty glass, then fine. But don't tell me to take off my cyclone sunglasses, and quit drinking my half full cup of cyclone kool-aid.

We have reason to be excited, and I personally am not tempering ANYTHING!

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by peteypie View Post
    Is anybody esle sick of these "temper your expectations" threads and replies?
    My expectations are where I expect them to be. Don't tell me what to do with my expectations.

In all honesty though, we have the most talent we've had in a while, and we have a coach that went .500 with a lack of talent. I ask, why temper expectations. Jump on the bandwagon. It's a fun ride. If you want to look at you half empty glass, then fine. But don't tell me to take off my cyclone sunglasses, and quit drinking my half full cup of cyclone kool-aid.

We have reason to be excited, and I personally am not tempering ANYTHING!
    Wow, heat must be getting to you guys! Didn't think this would get such a testy response. I just was tired of all this sunshine coming from everyone, then once this team has a bad outing or two hearing the same guys jump ship. I am not telling anyone what to expect or what expectations to have, just that after where this program has been the last 7-8 years, I think a middle to upper tier conference finish would be great and if a tourney birth comes awesome. But some guys on here would think that if this team doesn't compete for a conference championship this year will be a loss.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wow, heat must be getting to you guys! Didn't think this would get such a testy response. I just was tired of all this sunshine coming from everyone, then once this team has a bad outing or two hearing the same guys jump ship. I am not telling anyone what to expect or what expectations to have, just that after where this program has been the last 7-8 years, I think a middle to upper tier conference finish would be great and if a tourney birth comes awesome. But some guys on here would think that if this team doesn't compete for a conference championship this year will be a loss.
    Several of us do not like people telling us what to think, and it usually comes from the "realistic expectation" crowd. You won't get anything but testy responses on that topic.

Pro
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 337

Then let them deal with their disappointment when thier expectations aren't met. I'm just saying it's a refreshing change to actually have any expectations. Whether that be the guy who thinks we are a lock for the final four, or the guy that just wants to get in the top 5-6 of the conference. It's a refreshing change from going into the year knowing we are going to suck.

So I say live and let live. Let them have thier high expectations.

IMHO, I think we can get top 4 in our league and be around a 5 to 9 seed in the tourney. I don't know if I will be even close to right, but neither do you. Let's just enjoy actually having expectations.

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

You are tired of the sunshine here but compared Hoiberg to Coach K in another thread? Color me confused.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 4

This is Cyclone Fanatic. In other words, where the fanatics hang out. What did you expect to find here?

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    This is Cyclone Fanatic. In other words, where the fanatics hang out. What did you expect to find here?
    I think you guys need to settle down and reread the OP. I din't tell anyone to temper their expectations. I only said that I was trying to temper my expectations ( Notice the use of First Person -- I). Alot of the comments have been from guys with 1K and above posts. If you jump on every new poster like this, it doesn't help getting different fans involved in the site.

Last edited by CloneSolo; 07-19-2011 at 02:11 PM.