Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why iPhone beats Android rant (long)

Let me preface by saying I'm a computer engineering grad and I currently have a job programming embedded devices that use Linux (the basis for Android). I'm a big fan of what Google has done with Android.

The wife and I purchased matching Motorola Droids a couple of years ago. They worked great for months. Then along came the first O/S update. Some weird issues started popping up. Then the second major O/S update. Now our phones were noticably slower, occassionally locked up and rebooted on their own, my speaker phone would freak out occassionally (I could hear people, they couldn't hear me), and lots of other misc things.

My wife's phone got so bad, she took it back to Verizon and had it factory reset a couple of times. That didn't help. While she was there, she was talking to the Verizon guy and they were discussing Android phones vs iPhones. He mentioned that there is a nearly endless stream of Android customers coming in with tech support issues. She asked how often that happens with iPhones -- he said "like, uh ..., never."

I have to agree. We have an iPad also and it just works. All the time.

The problem boils down to software testing. When Apple releases a major software upgrade, they send it over to their test department and they have about 3 or 4 versions of iPhone hardware to thoroughly test it on before shipping it.

When Google releases an Android update, they send it out to maybe 50 manufacturers and they probably just have to assume each manufacturer is going to test it on all their products. But what incentive do manufacturers have to test it on anything except their latest phones? Why does Motorola care if a software update breaks older Droids like mine? They're not making much profit off those old Droids. It becomes a huge cost to Motorola to keep supporting the old phones, so eventually they just don't.

This is why Apple will eventually win in my opinion. Apple profits off of every software purchase for every iPhone - new or old, so they have an incentive to keep all the old phones working well. With all the varied Android products coming out, it's going to be a huge burdern to keep Android running well on every version of every product. I predict a backlash coming in the next few years as Android phones get a bad rap for being unreliable or at least more prone to needed tech support.

I may be looking for an iPhone myself shortly I'm sad to say.

Walk On
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Why iPhone beats Android rant (long)

I have heard that google wants to buy RIM who makes the blackberry. This would be a major stepping stone for android devices. I have been a blackberry user for the past two years. It is the best phone I have ever owned. The internet browser is really bad but email and overall phone quality is awesome.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 14

Keep in mind that if you got your Android phone 2 years ago it was one of the very first Android phones produced, and the technology in phones has changed a ton in that short period of time.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 13

a computer engineering grad had to take it to the store to get factory reset?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 9

You are comparing a what, 5 year old product with a two year old product.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 99

Everyone knew going in that Android will be a lot more challenging. When you have to make software for one device that you have complete control over it's a whole lot easier.

Hugs4ISU

I wish people wouldn't engage in these "wars". Live and let live. I hate it when the Android guys pile on the Apple guys, and the reverse is also true.

Apple stuff is GREAT. Their stuff commands a higher price, but it is worth the higher price if you can afford it. Android stuff is lower price, and you DO get what you pay for. Here's an example: I've been looking for a low-priced Android tablet with gyroscopes, to run Google Sky Map. For the tablets I've looked at, the message forums are chock full of complaints about not being able to get Google Sky Map to run right, and asking for tips on how to do it, etc. Often, you have to root the device and apply a weird OS setting. Like you have to be a systems admin to run an app. This is just an example. There are disadvantages to having bazillions of different types of hardware.

My phone is an LG Optimus V Android phone. I love it. I'd love an iPhone even more, but I can't afford it. Even if I could afford an iPhone, it isn't possible to use an iPhone on the wonderful $26/month plan I've got through Virgin Mobile.

So, to each his own. Apple isn't going away, because developers love the Apple app store because they can make far more money than through the Android market (with the Android market, users expect apps to be free). Android isn't going away, because people will always be willing to put up with a few problems to get a lower price.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 4

I could tell pretty much the same story for the Mac vs PC battle and we all know how that one turned out. Google is pulling ahead more and more by the day. History is repeating itself for Apple.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,554
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I got an HTC Incredible Android phone through Verizon just over a year ago and have never had a problem with it. It has been great.

I got an iPad 2 two months ago and have had the same experience. I specifically went with Apple with this expectation, given how rapidly things are changing in this area (and all the new competitors and such). I have never owned an Apple, though I have used them some going back to the beginning. I have owned many PCs over the years and do now. I don't have a huge gripe with Microsoft, though as most who are experienced with them know, things don't always go as well as one might hope and there often seems to be greater innovation elsewhere. That said I like my current PC setup.

If things continue to go as well as they are with the iPad, however, I might very well buy my first Apple notebook computer with my next purchase (though that won't be for quite awhile). Though secondary, that is another reason I went with Apple on this. A tablet has its limitations, but like the Android phone, the iPad does a lot for me and to date has done them flawlessly.

Just my recent experience, and my two cents.

On a tablet, I think you probably are taking more risk *right now* to buy a competing product versus the iPad (and not just due to the operating system). But you might find a better price. On the phone, in my experience, and based on other comments here, I am not sure there is that big a difference.

And there is the possibility that, like what happened with PCs versus Apple computers, the more open platform continues to improve and gains greater market share.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 39

First, youre talking about early android devices. Its a completely different world now.

Secondly, wrt updates, apple doesnt update its phones either past a certain point. Do i wish it was different? Yes. I think OS updates should be separate from the manufacturer (and more like when you go to windows update), but until that day comes its not really better on either platform. At least android has a very healthy developer community that very quickly develops roms for most phones (especially the more popular ones) and extend the update lifespan through custom roms. At a certain point though, you cant expect them to keep supporting old hardware.. it gets in the way of improving the new stuff. Google has launched an initiative working with the manufacturers to make sure their phones are kept up to date for a certain period of time though. This will be an improvement.

As for your anecdote about verizon store reps talking about how many have problems with iphones, there are a couple reasons youre going to see things like that. Firstly, verizon has sold a LOT more android phones over the last few years than it has iphones over the last few months. Also, iphone owners can take their iphone directly to an apple store. Im not a huge fan of the apple store, but im even less of a fan of verizon stores. If i had an iphone with problems, id take it to apple's store.

As far as testing goes, each and every time a device update goes out, for a new or old device, the manufacturer AND verizon run it through testing. Ive seen updates sit in verizon's hands for weeks while they tested them, even for older devices, so its not like theyre not getting tested.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheHawkHater View Post
    Let me preface by saying I'm a computer engineering grad and I currently have a job programming embedded devices that use Linux (the basis for Android). I'm a big fan of what Google has done with Android.

The wife and I purchased matching Motorola Droids a couple of years ago. They worked great for months. Then along came the first O/S update. Some weird issues started popping up. Then the second major O/S update. Now our phones were noticably slower, occassionally locked up and rebooted on their own, my speaker phone would freak out occassionally (I could hear people, they couldn't hear me), and lots of other misc things.

My wife's phone got so bad, she took it back to Verizon and had it factory reset a couple of times. That didn't help. While she was there, she was talking to the Verizon guy and they were discussing Android phones vs iPhones. He mentioned that there is a nearly endless stream of Android customers coming in with tech support issues. She asked how often that happens with iPhones -- he said "like, uh ..., never."

The problem boils down to software testing. When Apple releases a major software upgrade, they send it over to their test department and they have about 3 or 4 versions of iPhone hardware to thoroughly test it on before shipping it.

When Google releases an Android update, they send it out to maybe 50 manufacturers and they probably just have to assume each manufacturer is going to test it on all their products. But what incentive do manufacturers have to test it on anything except their latest phones? Why does Motorola care if a software update breaks older Droids like mine? They're not making much profit off those old Droids. It becomes a huge cost to Motorola to keep supporting the old phones, so eventually they just don't.

This is why Apple will eventually win in my opinion. Apple profits off of every software purchase for every iPhone - new or old, so they have an incentive to keep all the old phones working well. With all the varied Android products coming out, it's going to be a huge burdern to keep Android running well on every version of every product. I predict a backlash coming in the next few years as Android phones get a bad rap for being unreliable or at least more prone to needed tech support.

How do you know it's an OS/Software problem? As a computer engineer, you should know that memory and CPUs have a shelf life and in most phones (apple included) they aren't designed to last much longer than 2 years. If the particular phone you purchased has hardware failing (registers not holding their signal, bad memory portions, etc) then you can get all the problems you are talking about (poor performance, random reboots, speakers failing, spotty GPS, etc). Since the vast majority of android users don't complain about these issues on new devices it would stand to reason that the problem isn't the OS, or Google, its the device manufactures and their designed life expectancy.

That's not to say, you don't have a legitimate complaint or argument, but I think most of your problem is with the device manufacturers and the service providers requiring a 2 year contract for devices that are designed with a 2 year averages life expectancy.

For what it's worth, I have all the same problems you mentioned with my iPhone 3Gs. If you're not upgrading your device every 18 months, your phone will statistically be highly probable to have hardware failures.

All-Star
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheHawkHater View Post

So you are saying that google just writes updates and relies on manufacturers to test them. That statement makes me think that you are a start up CPR E who dropped out to become a business major.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Comp Eng taking it to the VZ store for factory reset cracked me up too. Mac lost, they just have not realized it yet. Pay attention to the #'s folks, game over.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,492
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    Comp Eng taking it to the VZ store for factory reset cracked me up too. Mac lost, they just have not realized it yet. Pay attention to the #'s folks, game over.
    + 0x1

I think he meant to say "I'm not a computer engineer, but I play one on TV."

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 10

Android > Apple

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB