Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 605

Post Game Radio Call In Show

Did anyone listen to the post game radio call in show? Holy cow. We listened to it on the way back to Sioux City and couldnt stop laughing at some of the pathetic comments. A couple of them sounded pro-fire Chizik which was just pathetic. While coaching has a big part in a game, the coaches cant hold the ball for the players, they cant throw the ball to open recievers, they cant block, they cant run the ball, etc. I could understand if we had all of that stuff cleaned up and just had poor play calling. But.... we didnt. We blew it plain and simple. Coaches had nothing to do with it. The show also got the famous "why dont we throw to Blythe more" calls. Ugh.. I think the consensus from the radio guys was that we should just wait and see what Chizik can do with his own players and some experience as coach. He's a newbie with a slightly bare cupboard of guys who seem to not be adjusting to a new system. While this game was disheartening, I can say that they did play hard, even with the mistakes. I had alot of fun. I wont start really judging our future until its some years down the road when we should be looking better.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 79

Re: Post Game Radio Call In Show

The more I think about it, the more I think Chizik is setting this up as a test of wills between him and the players. I think Chizik is saying my way or you will be embarrassed. Clearly the embarrassment part has worked, let's see if the players respond.

I did notice Blythe blocking downfield on running plays this week. I wonder if that means next week he will be rewarded for that.

Also, was anyone ticked that ISU did nothing with 10 seconds left in the third quarter? The clock had stopped with the first down and ISU was down by 18 and did nothing!

The callers were driving me mad last night. Just calm down people. If this was two seasons into the Chizik era and this was happeneing, yes there would be a problem. Two games though I am not ready to can the guy.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I absolutely loved the radio hosts debunking callers' half cocked theories. Very entertaining. If you are going to call into a radio show to give your opinion, have some facts ready.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 47

Yeah it seems that Blythe woke up and decided to rejoin the team this week. He actually attempted to help out this week instead of just giving up like last week.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I still cant believe the amount of crying about Blythe, when our other recievers stepped up and proved they can be just as much of a threat. Great game out of Hamilton and Sumrall. I think I may start the " why cant they throw to Hamilton and Sumrall more"

Addict
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 89

It was pretty pathetic to listen to these fans throw Chizik under the bus after two games. It is pretty obvious that MAC could not recruit the past few years and ISU has little to no talent for Chizik to work with. ISU may not win a game this year or even next year, but the talent level will go up, because it can not go down and when it does the wins will come.

As for the callers, "Give Blythe the ball" comments were getting old. It is not so much give Blythe the ball, how about STOP THROWING THE BALL TO THE OTHER TEAM!!!! AND FALL ON A FUMBLE WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED OVER YOUR HEAD. Two weeks with the same mental mistakes from a 4 year starter......Meyer's mistakes have cost ISU two wins. If you watch the KSU and UNI tapes, ISU was not man handled, they just made stupid mistakes that costs them the games.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It is the coaches responsibilty to make sure those "blunders" don't happen. That is why they are paid the big bucks. Fumbles, bad snaps, ect...... they need to put a product on the field that will not "cough" up the ball. Thay again why they are paid the big bucks. they need to coach that kind of thing so it does not happen. I can definetely understand why the fans are mad at the "blunders"

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

People need to stop with the Chizik sucks, and the fire chizik talk. He is the same as a player. Do you really think in his first year as a head coach he would go out and win coach of the year and guide ISU to the national championship. No, it is just like a player, when they are freshman they are learning, sometimes they make key mistakes. But the good ones learn from the mistake and do not do it again. Chizik is going to make mistakes, lets just hope he is a good one, and never makes the same one twice. I think he is going to be a great coach and it is ******** that people are already throwing him under the bus.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Can you really coach fumble prevention? You can teach the fundamentals, but in the end, the player needs to just hold onto the damn ball.

Starter
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I hate the "Throw it to Blythe" crowd just as much as everyone else.

BUT!!! When we're down big, and they're in press coverage (mostly w/ a safely over top), shouldn't try ONCE to throw it up to him?. Just once? Once?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Of course they should. But has Meyers accuracy been good enough to do this? I think Meyer questions himself every time he touches the ball. A QB cant do that. That hesitation makes it impossible to take a chance with throwing it into traffic.

Walk On
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by eclones View Post
    It is the coaches responsibilty to make sure those "blunders" don't happen. That is why they are paid the big bucks. Fumbles, bad snaps, ect...... they need to put a product on the field that will not "cough" up the ball. Thay again why they are paid the big bucks. they need to coach that kind of thing so it does not happen. I can definetely understand why the fans are mad at the "blunders"
    coaches can't play for the players. I coached fourteen years and players will always make silly mistakes. There is no one to blame for those fumbles accept Brett. The young man has abviously lost his confidence completley.

James W. Myers

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,365
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 209

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Of course they should. But has Meyers accuracy been good enough to do this? I think Meyer questions himself every time he touches the ball. A QB cant do that. That hesitation makes it impossible to take a chance with throwing it into traffic.
    My thoughts exactly. I am admittedly in the throw it to Blythe crowd and believe you should put the ball in your best players hands as much as possible. I also think even in double coverage Blythe could come out with the ball. However...that requires an accurate QB which we DEFINITELY do not have. Meyer couldn't throw over a defense to an open reciever to save his life or to beat Ankeny for that matter so we will continue to see the short across the middle **** until we get a new QB. He peaked his sophomore year.

Rookie
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 5

In Bret's defense, he did have one nice, thread-the-needle pass where he gunned it between three defenders where his receiver got it. But this exposes the other problem, Bret appears to throw into a crowd way too much, often at the expense of an open receiver. I fear that gone are the days of us throwing 40 yards down field to a receiver in a one-on-one foot race.

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I wouldn't neccessarily say I am in the throw to blythe crowd, but I think right now we are the only team in college football that can not create a way to get the ball to our biggest playmaker. Run a reverse, or a receiver screen. Something just to get the ball in his hands and make something happen. I noticed that we had two receivers not named blythe that had about 70 yards receiving a piece, and that apparently still didn't open things up to get the ball to blythe. They have to find a way to get the ball in his hands more than twice a game.