Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Recruiting

There has been an enormous debate about the talent level of this football team. The plain and simple truth is that it is lacking, period. We are by far the least talented team in the Big 12.

The question then becomes if we are going to improve and compete at a high level, how are we going to get talented young men to come to ISU??? What do you sell to these kids on Iowa State? Right now, you can't invite them to visit a game here at home because that would seal the deal...for them to go elsewhere. We have zero football tradition and are now the laughing stock of BCS conference football.

Bottom line is, how the hell is Iowa State going to get kids to come and play football for Iowa State? Besides running a dirty program like Stoops, I just don't see how this program is going to be built.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

Re: Recruiting

Just look at our list of recruits this year...Dan had a better list at this time last year....

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

The lack of talent is especially evident on defense.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

What defense?

PLAYOFFS? What PLAYOFFS?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    What defense?
    Taylor Swift Has it right: Tear Drops on my guita" e hs's the reason for hte tear dorps on my guitarE
    I fail to see how that is too short a reply
    C
    PLAYOFFS? What PLAYOFFS?
    Even I unfortuantly did. UNI was ****** about losing last year, and they almost torched us pretty bad. The crowd they bring can be very loud, and usually when they're being loud the rest of JTS is being very quite. I said somewhere if we give them any momentum they'd run with it and it wouldn't even be close...

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

First we are not the laughing stock of the BCS, Michigan is. Second, the way that you start getting talent in here is to develop it. At a school like Iowa State it is crucial that the coaches be able to see past the stars by a players name and see the potential that certain players have, that other programs will look past. Then you have to actually develop that potential into talent. Kind of like we did with Ellis Hobbs and Seneca Wallace years ago. A program like ours needs to find the diamond in the rough recuits and build from that. I look at some of the recuits that Chizik is going after and think that this is his exact appoach. He is recuiting potential, not polished talent.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I heard Dale Brown (ex LSU basketball coach) tell a story about recruiting one of his first big-time blue chip players...a guy named Rudy Macklin. LSU played somebody on National TV (back when there were not 50 games a week on National TV) and they got blown out...totally destroyed. As Brown was leaving the court, he noticed a pay phone in the tunnel heading to the locker room. He stopped and called Rudy Macklin and asked Rudy "Did you see us play today on TV?" Rudy answered, "Yes, sir...you guys had kind of a rough game." To which Dale Brown responded, "Actually, we were horrible...hopefully now you know how bad we need you to be playing for us at LSU!"

Later, Macklin talked about how surprised he was that Brown would call and admit that the team wasn't very good. He ultimately decided that he wanted to go to LSU to play and be a part of building a program. That is exactly what he did.

My point is that a lot of guys want to play right away and they want to be a part of something special. New recruits to ISU have that chance at this point. In addition, with no pro sports to speak of anywhere in Iowa you will "be the Man" in town if you make it happen. As opposed to playing at a place like USF where they get about 25,000 fans a game and are relegated to the back of the sports pages behind the Bucs, Devil Rays, and Magic.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I just don't see it. There's no way we're going to get enough of those players to fill a team that can compete in the Big 12. Finding a diamond in the rough is like winning the lottery; chances aren't good. I hope Chizik can blow smoke up 18 yr old boys' butts like no one I have ever seen.