Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Comparing the o-lines

Me and a couple of my friends (mostly hawk fans), are really debating who has a better line between the Hawks and Clones. Now i really dont know much but Iowa's line, so i dont say to much into these arguments.

I want to know what u guys think about the offensive lines, as it is a key part for any football team. ISU has 5 seniors on the line, so they have to be pretty darn good. Iowa i know has a couple of good linemans in Mike Jones (who!) and Marshall Yanda. Dace Richardson was a very highly touted recruit and is going to need to prove himself.

Anways...

Now this is a cyclone board so please try give ur honest opinion on who has a better offensive line.

Thanks.

Last edited by Goclones1727; 08-17-2006 at 11:04 PM.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Iowa always has a good line. I dont know whether its the strength program that Doyel has built over there but its a good one. ISU's line has not proven itself to be a great line just yet, just an experienced one. Its a tough call until you've seen both teams play at least one game.

God Bless America

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    I'm always going to go Iowa on this, just because they have a history of making great offensive lineman. I didn't see anything that blew me away from the Fisher's last year... and they're both #1 on the charts. We'll see what happens.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 107
    Iowa's Oline always seem to have more of mean streak in em. Our Oline is usually just as big, but they look like too nice of guys. ISU's line needs to Eat Thunder and Crap Lightening. Stevenson has the right attitude, hopefully he can rub off some.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    If you were to create 1 offensive line from the starters on both ISU & Iowa, Zehr, Brant & Stephenson would definitely be 3 of the 5 starters. I dont know if that translates into ISU having a better overall O-Line, but if I had to pick I would go with ISU's or a push.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

O-line comparisons

I think we will have a good, not great o-line. I truly look for it to be more consistent and not give up nearly as many sacks this year. I think people will likely underate this year's 0-line, but won't realize it until they see next year's!

As far as Iowa goes, I have a bit more controversial view of their offensive line. I regularly see comments saying Ferentz is the best 0-line coach in the world, yet he ISN't the Iowa O-line coach. That is evident in that they lost their O-line coach the put so many players in the pro's. Since that time, their O-line has NOT been a dominant line. It certainly improved towards the end of the season last year. They have had a couple of excellent recruiting classes (by rankings) on the O-line, and now those recruits are starting to see duty. They are not proven yet, but who is to say they won't step in and be studs? I think the success a few years ago, as well as the recent recruiting success has everyon thinking Iowa always has an dominant line...that just hasn't been the case.

Now, I haven't answered your question as to who will have a better o-line this year. I'm not too sure it isn't a wash at this point.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

Iowa's O-line Has Gotten Results

Even in years when Iowa is rebuilding its o-line they create holes for Iowa's RB and give their QB time to pass. The same cannot be said for our o-line the last 4 years. The reality is KF was an o-line coach in the NFL and knows how to get the job done.

I hope this is the year that ISU's o-line steps up. Barney Cotton has been here a couple years so we should finally see the fruits of his abilities as an o-line coach in techniques, player ability and toughness.

The ideal situation for this year would be for Mac to find 5 quality starters and for some underclassman play some decent minutes because we would want to go into next season with 5 lineman with very little playing experience.

Walk On
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Remember

Iowa uses all the tools available to them the be effective.

And the Big Ten refs allow it.

Holding is prevalent in Iowa's Offensive lines. Get a copy of one of their games and watch closely.

I also think a lot of you are giving Iowa's Offensive Line way to much credit.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Maybe we are giving the O-line a little too much credit...but Iowa's running game averaged 4.8 ypc last year, and ISU's averaged 2.7. I'll agree the running back injuries hurt us, but it's not like they have Reggie Bush back there (even though AY is an excellent back). Good running backs don't make up for over 2 yards a carry. They also don't allow 39 pulverizing sacks on their quarterback. That's why I'll have to see the ISU O-line prove it this year before I make any bold claims about them being better than the Hawkeye O-line.