Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Potential position upgrades

Based on memory, the following is a list of starters lost from last year, and their replacements per the spring depth chart (obviously in flux):

Arnaud/Tiller (RJr) or Jantz (Jr) + More consistency
    Robinson/Johnson (So) + More explosive
    Williams/Lenz (Jr) + More explosive
    Franklin/Hammerschmidt (RJr) - Huge loss
    Alvarez/Tuftee (RSo) - No starting experience
    Lamaak/Farniok (RFr) - 1st year
    Parker/Maggitt (RJr) + Better pass rusher
    Johnson/McDonough (RJr) = Depends on which McDonough shows up
    O'Connell/Washington (RSo) + Bigger, faster

I recorded a +, -, = (even) for my prediction for an upgrade. Bottom line, I think we will be a better team even with nine new starters. We should be quicker and more athletic. The biggest concern for me is the two young OL starters. If they play well, we could surprise some people.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61

Re: Potential position upgrades

I think we have a good top two WR's this year... which will really show if Jantz lives up to the hype. We have a healthy ready to explode Reynolds, and Horne now. Not to mention our OL looks to be improved which will also help the offense a lot!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 19

Jantz as a + over Arnaud is a huge stretch. Same with Shontrelle over A-Rob, and Lenz over Jake. Heck, Maggitt over Rashawn is a push too. And I'm not convinced Washington is better than O'Connell.

Call me a pessimist.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61

Right now they aren't, but they all have the potential to be better. And I would bet most of them do become better.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

I think I drink more kool aid than the average Clone fan, but I'm going to disagree with some of your offensive predictions here.

To say that Shontrelle is an improvement over A-Rob is crazy. Maybe he has the potential to be a better back one of these days, but A-Rob was the man and no way we can say right now that Shontrelle is going to be an improvement. I hope he'll be better than A-Rob, but I don't think we can count on it.

I feel the same way about your Jake Williams to Lenz characterization as an improvement. JW caught 35 passes for 4 TDs last year, Lenz went for 14 and 2. Jake Williams was and is a better receiver than Josh Lenz. Lenz may be more explosive, but he isn't a better receiver.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,002
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Jantz as a + over Arnaud is a huge stretch. Same with Shontrelle over A-Rob, and Lenz over Jake. Heck, Maggitt over Rashawn is a push too. And I'm not convinced Washington is better than O'Connell.

Call me a realist.
    Fixed.

I agree with everything you said CyFan:

Until Coach Rhoads lists a starter at QB, the position is a -. It sounds like that position will come down to who has the best practice the day before the UNI game, which doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence that the position is automatically better than AA.

I think SJ does bring a little more explosiveness than A-Rob, however the OL is plagued and the Rabbit's performance will be determined on how well we do in the trenches. Aside from Osemele, the OL will take a step back talent-wise from where they were to start the 2010 season. I think there is enough time to gel, and improve in 2011, but the product may look a little sloppier on the field against UNI.

Losing our top 2 receiving targets from last year doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence that the position is already improved - but then again Jake Williams wasn't at the top of my list to be the #1 WR last year. The WR/TE is the most critical position to upgrade this season, and there is too many question marks of who steps up to say it's better than last year.

As for O'Connell, he wasn't flashy, but he was consistent with his coverage after the catch and I don't believe that Washington is there quite yet. Edit: I do think Washington will have the ability to cover better than O'Connell could, I'm just worried about the lack of experience at the safety position in this pass-happy conference.

Last edited by 3GenClone; 07-11-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HuddleUp View Post
    Based on memory, the following is a list of starters lost from last year, and their replacements per the spring depth chart (obviously in flux):

Arnaud/Tiller (RJr) or Jantz (Jr) + More consistency
    Robinson/Johnson (So) + More explosive
    Williams/Lenz (Jr) + More explosive
    Franklin/Hammerschmidt (RJr) - Huge loss
    Alvarez/Tuftee (RSo) - No starting experience
    Lamaak/Farniok (RFr) - 1st year
    Parker/Maggitt (RJr) + Better pass rusher
    Johnson/McDonough (RJr) = Depends on which McDonough shows up
    O'Connell/Washington (RSo) + Bigger, faster

I recorded a +, -, = (even) for my prediction for an upgrade. Bottom line, I think we will be a better team even with nine new starters. We should be quicker and more athletic. The biggest concern for me is the two young OL starters. If they play well, we could surprise some people.
    Not a whole lot here that I agree with, sorry but true.

First, Tiller isn't going to show us much more this season then what he has already shown us. He has played limited time for 2 years now and each time he takes the field the offense is lackluster at best. If Tiller takes a big step he might be as good as Arnaud, but not better. For us to take a step up at QB our hope is in Jantz, unfortunately there are way too many ? there.

Again way too many ? with Johnson. We have seen glimpses of what he can do, but nothing to suggest he is going to be better than Arob this season. In time he may be, but that will be a tough billing.

I do believe we are going to see a step up from Williams, but it isn't going to be Lenz taking that spot. It is going to be Reynolds or Horn.

Franklin is a huge loss, but I really think Hammerschmidt is better than people give him credit for. He played some limited snaps last year and I was impressed by him, but like Johnson and so many other players on this team there are a lot of ?s.

The only other thing is I would put an = for O'connell/Washington.

I also do believe the O'line and D'line will be improved this season over last, however too many loses in key positions on both sides of the ball to make a huge step up in competition impossible.

Last edited by jaretac; 07-11-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 355

Other than the QB assessment, I agree with your analysis.

I think Washington is going to be a HUGE upgrade at safety

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think Shontrelle over ARob is definitely an upgrade. It's hard to see it right now as he hasn't played much but in terms of talent he has much more of it than ARob. Hopefully he can stay healthy unlike ARob

Don't know if Lenz is an upgrade over Jake Williams. I think our other WR's make that position an overall upgrade but Jake was our best WR last year.

Maggit is a HUGE upgrade over Parker. Not even a debate

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I think Shontrelle over ARob is definitely an upgrade. It's hard to see it right now as he hasn't played much but in terms of talent he has much more of it than ARob. Hopefully he can stay healthy unlike ARob

Don't know if Lenz is an upgrade over Jake Williams. I think our other WR's make that position an overall upgrade but Jake was our best WR last year.

Maggit is a HUGE upgrade over Parker. Not even a debate

Agree with everything you have here. My first thought in comparing ARob and Johnson was whether or not Johnson can stay healthy. If he can I think the debate is over...Johnson is an upgrade at the position. As for Jantz, lets not forget he put up some pretty crazy numbers in Juco and I'm assuming he'll be a better qb this year over last. Does that translate into the Big 12? We'll all have to find out together but I'm optimistic.

As for the OL it seems to me that while the loss of Lamaak and Haughton hurts and we don't have a true 'take over' type Center what we lose in those two players we will make up for with more depth.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    Not a whole lot here that I agree with, sorry but true.

First, Tiller isn't going to show us much more this season then what he has already shown us. He has played limited time for 2 years now and each time he takes the field the offense is lackluster at best. If Tiller takes a big step he might be as good as Arnaud, but not better. For us to take a step up at QB our hope is in Jantz, unfortunately there are way too many ? there.

I'm assuming Tiller has improved enough to beat out Jantz, if he wins the job. I think either way, we'll see improvement at QB this year. My money is on Jantz.

Again way too many ? with Johnson. We have seen glimpses of what he can do, but nothing to suggest he is going to be better than Arob this season. In time he may be, but that will be a tough billing.

Johnson can bust one on any play. ARob was a workhorse, but he wasn't that home run threat and was banged up a lot. He got a ton of carries which helped his numbers. I'm not complaining about ARob. I think Johnson will be the best back we've seen in years.

I do believe we are going to see a step up from Williams, but it isn't going to be Lenz taking that spot. It is going to be Reynolds or Horn.

I agree that the WR group will be better. Lenz is sneaky good. He's elusize and has great hands. I do think he'll be more productive than Jake with comparative playing time.

Franklin is a huge loss, but I really think Hammerschmidt is better than people give him credit for. He played some limited snaps last year and I was impressed by him, but like Johnson and so many other players on this team there are a lot of ?s.

The only other thing is I would put an = for O'connell/Washington.

O'Connell seemed to have a hard time wrapping up and would get out of position. If their tackling skills are even remotely similar, Washington would have to get the edge given his size and speed.

I also do believe the O'line and D'line will be improved this season over last, however too many loses in key positions on both sides of the ball to make a huge step up in competition impossible.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Outside of TE and SS, I don't think there is a position we will be decidedly worse at. I think we will improve at RB with at least 4 guys who are capable and I don't think the QB position will go backwards. Maggitt is better than Parker and couple that with more guys behind Maggit, the position is better. Lamaak was a loss but I feel we will still be alright at the position. WR, IMO, will be better with West and other now filling in some spots not to mention Money, Lenz and Darks likely being better.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Agree with everything you have here. My first thought in comparing ARob and Johnson was whether or not Johnson can stay healthy. If he can I think the debate is over...Johnson is an upgrade at the position. As for Jantz, lets not forget he put up some pretty crazy numbers in Juco and I'm assuming he'll be a better qb this year over last. Does that translate into the Big 12? We'll all have to find out together but I'm optimistic.

As for the OL it seems to me that while the loss of Lamaak and Haughton hurts and we don't have a true 'take over' type Center what we lose in those two players we will make up for with more depth.
    Alvarez? He was good but is replaceable. Rhoads is high on this upcoming Oline.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Alvarez? He was good but is replaceable. Rhoads is high on this upcoming Oline.

Crap, not sure why I typed Haughton. But yes, I think depth and talent are better with the OL.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post

Crap, not sure why I typed Haughton. But yes, I think depth and talent are better with the OL.
    In your defense, the loss of Haughton will still hurt next year. He was good. Maybe better than KO. Say what you want about Chizik, but he got a couple really good linemen.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.