Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,486
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 81

I need some help with questions about Audacity, and MP3 files.

Recently I created a podcast using Audacity. I imported some intro music that fades out 1st.
    Then we recorded the 1st segment and stopped. Got our notes together and then recorded another segment, and then stopped it. Did that about 4-5 times until it was all done.

So now i have like 5 rows of audio all on top of each other, that play seemlessly in one long piece...so the podcast is done.

I do have one question about the process of transferring to MP3 though.... Does it take up more space if the 5 rows of audio are not all joined together in 1 piece when i transfer it to MP3?

I need to keep my storage space as low as possible at my hosting site, so Id like to do whatever is necessary to make the file as small as possible. Just curious as to what I need to do or not have to bother with.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: I need some help with questions about Audacity, and MP3 files.

My other question is that I had the perfect fade out on the top line, and had the audio underneath. As the audio started we had the last 3-4 seconds of music fading. When i copy and pasted the 1st segment near the end of the fade out on the same line, I lost that fade out completely.

Can i assume its not at all feasible to place audio over the music and still have the music fade out?

Again goes back to not knowing whether more lines of audio take up more MP3 space.

No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Walk On
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,000
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

When you export the audio to MP3, the rows ("tracks") are all combined into one track, so that won't affect the file size.

If you're willing to sacrifice some of the audio quality, the best way to reduce file size is to reduce the MP3 bitrate.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Keep each segment on a separate row in order to preserve the fadeouts. Again, once you export to MP3, audacity will automatically compile them into one track.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks dude...I didn't want to do a bunch of unnecessary work for nothing...or not do it when it would help me.

I only have a 20 second intro with about 8 second fade out for when the show starts and then no other music until the final 20 seconds of the show and the fade out. 40 seconds music total on a 45 minute show shouldn't affect much.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, the tracks are really just for the convenience of editing, so you can keep everything organized and not have it all bunched together on one track. It's how music is recorded too - guitar one one track, drums on another, etc. Each can be edited individually then, and when everything is finished, it's all mixed down onto one track.