Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Coker

Question for the football minds greater than mine. I was thinking today about how confident Iowa and Iowa State fans are that Coker is a stud. What has he done to justify this? I watched the Missouri game and he was impressive, but I also watched the Minnesota and Michigan State games and came away unimpressed. So what makes Coker so outstanding?

I am of the belief that Iowa's Oline will be fantastic and thus will result in Coker having a good year, but I'm not sold that he is outstanding. If Dutch and boys can hold their own against Iowa's line I think we take them this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Coker

I think the justification is that Coker ran all over a defense that shut us out, and before you talk about the lack of Arnaud and what not, shutting out any team is impressive. But you're right that stopping the run starts up front.

By the way, am I the only one that thinks it's funny that Iowa's starting running back was kicked off the team for drug reasons, then they replaced him with a guy named Coker?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 997
    Given: 212

Dang...I saw Coker, thought this was an update on DJK...shoulda realized it when it wasn't in the in-state rivals section.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

He also did some damage against OSU and others. Averaged close to 6 ypc last year, methinks.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 953
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 13

Because he's iowas feature running back. And he rushed for over 200 yards in their bowl game. He sure looked good.

Rookie
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I think Coker will be a solid back for Iowa; however, I think his accolades at this point are a little inflated. He's a different back than what we have. He's not overly explosive like SJ appears to be, but he's a strong kid. The one thing I noticed when watching him run last year is that he runs awful high. Unless that changes, I expect a lot of "down" time for him the next three years. It would be interesting to see if both SJ and Coker were on the same team who would get more carries. I really believe in our style of offense SJ would, and Coker would in Iowa's style. With that being said, I would love to have both kids here at ISU.

The one thing I like is that we have more depth at RB than Iowa does. Not many teams get through the season with 1 back getting 90% of the snaps.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

He's gonna have a very successful year in my opinion. He just destroyed Missouri. He's big and he can plow people over.

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    I think Coker will be a solid back for Iowa; however, I think his accolades at this point are a little inflated. He's a different back than what we have. He's not overly explosive like SJ appears to be, but he's a strong kid. The one thing I noticed when watching him run last year is that he runs awful high. Unless that changes, I expect a lot of "down" time for him the next three years. It would be interesting to see if both SJ and Coker were on the same team who would get more carries. I really believe in our style of offense SJ would, and Coker would in Iowa's style. With that being said, I would love to have both kids here at ISU.

The one thing I like is that we have more depth at RB than Iowa does. Not many teams get through the season with 1 back getting 90% of the snaps.
    They know that and have been working on it the whole off-season.

We recruit different styles of backs (for the most part), so that makes sense.

Yeah, we have a "main" back, but we have plenty of capable backups. I think the past has proven that Iowa has been able to plug new backs into the lineup and be pretty successful. McCall, Johnson, and White are all capable of playing.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye11en1 View Post
    He also did some damage against OSU and others. Averaged close to 6 ypc last year, methinks.
    Yeah, he will look great until his standing straight up running style gets him knocked out for the season 5-7 games in. He will be carrying the load this year, and unless his center of gravity improves dramatically, he will be taking way too much punishment.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye11en1 View Post
    They know that and have been working on it the whole off-season.

We recruit different styles of backs (for the most part), so that makes sense.

Yeah, we have a "main" back, but we have plenty of capable backups. I think the past has proven that Iowa has been able to plug new backs into the lineup and be pretty successful. McCall, Johnson, and White are all capable of playing.
    While the past shows that many can have success, there is not a single back on that team behind Coker other than Rogers, a FB, who has a college carry.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

I think ISU and Iowa are in very similar situations at RB, both have true sophs stepping into featured back roles, and a bunch of inexperienced but talented back ups. I'd give coker a slight edge over SJ right now just because he got more playing time last year and is more proven. I'd give ISU the edge on the backups however.

Coker - 114 carries, 622 yards, 5.5 ypc.. had ups and downs. absolutely TORCHED mizzou, was non-existent against michigan state. put up good numbers against indiana, was rather unimpressive vs a BAD minnesota team.

SJ - only 35 carries, 218 yards, 6.2 ypc.. only game he had 10+ carries was against Texas Tech (12 carries, 102 yards, 1 TD). other than that he never really had a chance to get into any game much, but in that one game he showed up big and we all remember his NASTY juke against KU.

..both look to have the potential to be very quality backs. Coker is the bruiser who gets you 5 yards a pop, but had just one run for 30+ yards in 114 carries. SJ is much more explosive with 3 carries for 30+ yards in just 35 carries, but needs to work on grinding yards out rather than going for the home run because if you take out those 3 big runs he had 32 carries for 86 yards, just a 2.7 ypc average. Will be fun to watch both of them!

ALL IN

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 925
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 193

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Yeah, he will look great until his standing straight up running style gets him knocked out for the season 5-7 games in. He will be carrying the load this year, and unless his center of gravity improves dramatically, he will be taking way too much punishment.
    Shonn Greene ran with a high pad level as a true freshman, too. I'm not saying that Coker is the Second Coming (though he is a similar back), but Greene ran with a VERY low pad level in 2008. It can be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    While the past shows that many can have success, there is not a single back on that team behind Coker other than Rogers, a FB, who has a college carry.
    In 2009, not a single back besides Paki O'Meara had a college carry entering the season (post-ACL for Hampton). I feel alright about our RB situation. DeAndre Johnson was a guy that if it weren't for his knee injury in high school, he would have been a much more touted recruit (according to people from the area). He also looked really good this spring.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Because he's iowas feature running back. And he rushed for over 200 yards in their bowl game. He sure looked good.
    How many yards did their bowl opponent give up to Nebraska? Helu set the single game rushing record in that game pretty good considering the backs that have been through Nebraska. My buddies out in Lincoln said Helu can thank Mizzous defense for being drafted. Coker may be good but so was Robinson Wegher Hamtpon and so on. Put him as the feature back and see what he can do oh ya and I think I may have a chance to be his backup.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

It doesn't matter who they line up at tailback of they control the line of scimmage like they dis last year. That was sad. Iowa made us look like rag dolls.

Then we beat Texas. It's awesome to see ISU improve during the yr and not take jumps backward

Starter
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

Good But Not Great

Other than the Mizzou game Coker had 400 yards on 80 carries. The average of 5 YPC is nice and his Mizzou game is reason for optimism.

The key with his size is being able to stay healthy. I discount his Mizzou stats for a couple reason:
    • Iowa had 1 month to prepare for Mizzou. KF does a great job of game planning when given the time to prepare for bowl games.
    • He will need to be productive against Big 10 defenses. Most are built to stop the run game. Conversely, Big 12 defenses are built around speed and stop control passing games.