Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Yankees Scouting Ramirez, Soriano

The New York Yankees have three scouts watching the Washington Nationals and Chicago Cubs as they look for bullpen and hitting help. It appears the Yankees may have some interest in Cubs left-handed reliever John Grabow as well as hitters such as Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano.

[+] Enlarge AP Photo/Nam Y. HuhAramis Ramirez has been one of the hottest hitters in baseball over the past five weeks.

New York is looking to beef up its team which will be challenged by the Boston Red Sox and Tampa Bay Rays in the second half in what is baseball's deepest division.

Although money can be an issue with some teams, the Yankees and Red Sox will usually spare no expense in getting the right players to help them win a pennant.

Although the Yankees already have a solid base in their everyday lineup, Ramirez or Soriano could add some punch as a designated hitter. Soriano has around $65 million left on his contract that runs through 2014. The Cubs would likely step up and share a good portion of that contract obligation if they found an interested party.
    Could Soriano, Ramirez be fits for Yankees? - Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN Chicago

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,632
    Given: 2,127

Re: Yankees Scouting Ramirez, Soriano

I love what the guys did in Chicago, but it's time to restructure the whole team.

I'll allow it.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 122

I'd like to keep Ramirez, but they can take Grabow and Soriano.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'd like to keep Ramirez, but they can take Grabow and Soriano.
    I'd keep the Ramirez that's shown up lately, but it's taking longer and longer each year for that Aramis to show up. Seems like it was almost two months this year.

Addict
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I'd keep the Ramirez that's shown up lately, but it's taking longer and longer each year for that Aramis to show up. Seems like it was almost two months this year.
    Ramirez has been absolutely locked in the last 2-3 weeks. He's just crushing the ball lately.

If the Cubs can move Soriano at all, go for it. Pay half his salary, whatever it takes to get out from that contract.

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 815
    Given: 96

I'm not buying the Yankees actually looking at Soriano but Ramirez "has been, dare i say, en fuego" (tm Dan Patrick)

It's looking more and more like he'll finish with the numbers that he has consistantly put up when healthy: .300 avg, 30 HR, 100RBI

He has said that he won't waive his no trade clause but if he changed his mind he'd be the Cubs most valuable asset.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Ramirez has been absolutely locked in the last 2-3 weeks. He's just crushing the ball lately.

If the Cubs can move Soriano at all, go for it. Pay half his salary, whatever it takes to get out from that contract.
    I agree with everyone that Aramis is on fire right now. My question is whether that will last, or whether the opening Ramirez is going to come back.

Anything that moves Soriano has to happen, Absolutely anything. There can be nothing that holds that back.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,151
    Given: 224

I agree with everyone that Aramis is on fire right now. My question is whether that will last, or whether the opening Ramirez is going to come back.

Anything that moves Soriano has to happen, Absolutely anything. There can be nothing that holds that back.
    I wouldn't say anything. If the Cubs were to trade him to say St Louis, and still pay upwards of 50% of that contract, I would not be happy as a fan. You dont pay a guy that much to beat you up 15 times a year.

The Cubs made a huge mistake in that contract, and they are going to have to live with that. But if you're still going to be paying a good chunk of that contract, you might as well keep him on the team. Hes not all that bad; definitely not worth what he is getting paid, but still has some value.

Ramirez is definetly reached the peak of his career. He may hit some fire on the way down the hill, but he is still going down. Cubs fans should probably start expecting him to be gone by this time next month; you might as well get something out of him before he becomes a free agent. Same goes with Fukudome.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I wouldn't say anything. If the Cubs were to trade him to say St Louis, and still pay upwards of 50% of that contract, I would not be happy as a fan. You dont pay a guy that much to beat you up 15 times a year.

The Cubs made a huge mistake in that contract, and they are going to have to live with that. But if you're still going to be paying a good chunk of that contract, you might as well keep him on the team. Hes not all that bad; definitely not worth what he is getting paid, but still has some value.

Ramirez is definetly reached the peak of his career. He may hit some fire on the way down the hill, but he is still going down. Cubs fans should probably start expecting him to be gone by this time next month; you might as well get something out of him before he becomes a free agent. Same goes with Fukudome.
    Exactly. I'll accept the Cardinals exception.

I think the impossible dream of moving the Ramirez and Soriano contracts while watching Pena and Fukodome's contracts end brings a lot of hope for the turnaround.

Addict
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post

Ramirez still has a lot more value to the Cubs than Soriano does. Soriano's contract is a sunk cost, sometime's you have to cut your losses and move on. Ramirez has been remarkably consistent his entire Cubs career outside of the first three months of last season. He's on pace to put up his usual .300/30/100 line again this season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Don't the Yankees already have a 3rd baseman who makes too much? Also, if the Yankees bailed the Cubs out of the Soriano mess, I would stop hating them as much.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well he's not going to hit 10 HR's every two weeks so no, this Ramirez won't last. The early season Ramirez you are referring to still had a pretty good average, he just didn't hit for any power.

Ramirez has a long track record and he's playing at that level, so no I don't think he's going to fall off a cliff in the second half.

As long as the Cubs don't get crazy with the years, I wouldn't mind seeing ARam back for the next couple of years. He's not going to be this consistant forever but for the next 2-3 years he'll be one of the ten best 3b in the majors.

As for Soriano, anything up to eating 75% of the contract would be a good move.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,151
    Given: 224

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Ramirez still has a lot more value to the Cubs than Soriano does. Soriano's contract is a sunk cost, sometime's you have to cut your losses and move on. Ramirez has been remarkably consistent his entire Cubs career outside of the first three months of last season. He's on pace to put up his usual .300/30/100 line again this season.
    I could be wrong, but I believe Ramirez's contract ends after this season. If it does, the Cubs would be stupid to not try and move him. He is probably going to be signing the last contract of his career in the off-season, so my guess is he will be looking for a multi-year with a nice chuck of cash. The Cubs shouldn't even be considering bringing him back, unless its for a year at a time. He has value right now, and at age 33, its not going to last much longer.

Addict
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 516
    Given: 213

Once DLee, DeRosa, and Theriot were no longer wanted, I was ready for Ramirez and Soriano to go as well. Ramirez still has some pop but it's time to get something of value for him.
    As a Cubs fan, they have a lot of "gutting" to do to the team still.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    Don't the Yankees already have a 3rd baseman who makes too much? Also, if the Yankees bailed the Cubs out of the Soriano mess, I would stop hating them as much.
    A) Aramis doesn't make too much. He's not underpaid by any means, but he's earned (and earning) every penny.

B) They're probably just kicking the tires.