Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 19

JTS expansion

It appears that the previous JTS expansion thread has been closed, which is a shame as I think this an important discussion re: the future of Cyclone football.

I think the Clemson endzone example is a nice model, but I disagree with some on one point: I don't think we should pursue a similar renovation if there is no increase in capacity. I know some feel as if we won't be able to fill additional seats, but you needn't look any further than JTS for history lesson.

In my mind, we MUST shoot for a new permanent capacity of at least 60,000. It's a nice round number, and we all know that stadium capacity numbers are a veritable ******* match in big-time college football. Getting out of the 50s and into the 60s is critical in the facilities race, in my opinion.

As for the history lesson (and an old-timer can correct me if I'm wrong), I believe ISU's average attendance jumped 10K+ in the years after the Cyclones moved out of Clyde Williams, and that was sustained through some thin years under Donnie Duncan. In other words, there is something to the phrase "if you build it, they will come".

Pollard's original design wouldn't increase capacity by that much, but it would get us over 60K, and I don't think that is a number we should fear. We should build it and hope that on-the-field performance combined with the appeal of a new facilities gets buts in the seats.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: JTS expansion

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    It appears that the previous JTS expansion thread has been closed, which is a shame as I think this an important discussion re: the future of Cyclone football.

I think the Clemson endzone example is a nice model, but I disagree with some on one point: I don't think we should pursue a similar renovation if there is no increase in capacity. I know some feel as if we won't be able to fill additional seats, but you needn't look any further than JTS for history lesson.

In my mind, we MUST shoot for a new permanent capacity of at least 60,000. It's a nice round number, and we all know that stadium capacity numbers are a veritable ******* match in big-time college football. Getting out of the 50s and into the 60s is critical in the facilities race, in my opinion.

As for the history lesson (and an old-timer can correct me if I'm wrong), I believe ISU's average attendance jumped 10K+ in the years after the Cyclones moved out of Clyde Williams, and that was sustained through some thin years under Donnie Duncan. In other words, there is something to the phrase "if you build it, they will come".

Pollard's original design wouldn't increase capacity by that much, but it would get us over 60K, and I don't think that is a number we should fear. We should build it and hope that on-the-field performance combined with the appeal of a new facilities gets buts in the seats.
    Not disagreeing but within a couple of years of moving into JTS, Earle Bruce fielded what are arguably the best ISU football teams ever. If we are going to expand, we should plan for success and go to 65-70k seating capacity. I think a key to revenue generation is a large Club Section that anyone can enter for a fee and consume alcohol.........booze makes big money.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    Not disagreeing but within a couple of years of moving into JTS, Earle Bruce fielded what are arguably the best ISU football teams ever. If we are going to expand, we should plan for success and go to 65-70k seating capacity. I think a key to revenue generation is a large Club Section that anyone can enter for a fee and consume alcohol.........booze makes big money.
    Thatd be an interesting idea.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

It would take a MASSIVE expansion to get to 70,000. Kinnick barely holds that and they pack you in there like sardines. To get to 60,000 real seats right now, we'd need to find a way to add about 17,500 seats...a Hilton Coliseum and then more. That's a tall demand. 60,000 real seats would be a HUGE improvement over the 42,500 real seats we have now.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    It would take a MASSIVE expansion to get to 70,000. Kinnick barely holds that and they pack you in there like sardines. To get to 60,000 real seats right now, we'd need to find a way to add about 17,500 seats...a Hilton Coliseum and then more. That's a tall demand. 60,000 real seats would be a HUGE improvement over the 42,500 real seats we have now.
    I believe 60k would be SEZ with an upper deck.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

some one write the check and it will be done.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cytom5 View Post
    some one write the check and it will be done.
    I thought Fox already did...

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post

The primary focus needs to be renovation, not expansion, of JTS. Times have changed since the Earle Bruce days of peak season ticket sales and attendence. There are now too many other entertainment options and almost every game is now televised. Keep capacity in the 55K range and maximize revenues within that capacity constraint.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, if we sold beer at JTS, it certainly would let the band play the beer barrel polka a lot more, and as a former low brass player, I am certainly in favor of that.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I wouldn't mind an expansion/renovation that includes something similar to Clemson in the SEZ. You aren't adding an insane amount of additional seats, simply getting rid of the hillsides and making them purchase something to sit on and the 60k figure would suit us well I believe. The key thing with that would be to make some suites that are close-to top of the line and more importantly I think adding a feature similar to a Johnny's would be a large plus. Something to not only pull in additional donor dollars to get there, but to pour in some revenue once they are there is key in making it work for the program.

As far as where the money comes from, I think the new Fox deal and especially the 2012 TV deal will be a big factor in decided what is next. However, it would be great to see a donor make a large contribution to at least fund a portion of it (ie. the suites area or something similar to Johnny's).

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If we sold beer that would pay for the south end zone!

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't build your stadium to suit the normal crowd, you should build your stadium to suit your largest crowd. But, I don't have the money to tell Pollard what I want, so I'll trust that he knows what he's doing.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 586

Here's an idea- sell beer, jack the price up $2 and let it be known that the $2 goes directly towards stadium improvements. I'd buy a couple of overpriced beers for that. Rather pay $10/beer for a worthwhile cause than $8/beer for just the drink.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    there is more than 42,500 seats in Jack Trice right now. I think that is just the number on the side decks. There is another few thousand seats in the south endzone.

Starter
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I don't know how expanding to 60k can be justified when the stadium is only occasionally sold out as is.

There was one?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 102

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    there is more than 42,500 seats in Jack Trice right now. I think that is just the number on the side decks. There is another few thousand seats in the south endzone.
    The suites took out a lot of seating. That number is accurate. This is why there were games last year that pretty much full stands, some folks on the hills and attendance of ~43K.

60,000 would mean an upper level to the bowl. A lower bowl would be a little over 50,000. I think you build the lower bowl with the ability to add the upper.

It's almost impossible for ISU to average 60,000 fans/game with Iowa averaging 70,000. That's 130,000 Iowans at a college football game about 4 weekends a year. Out of 3,000,000, it seems tough. IMO if we built 60,000 we'd fill it up sometimes, but unless we got really really good, and Iowa got really bad, it would be hard to fill week in and week out.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.