Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 38

Looking to buy a used golf cart...

OK fellow fanatics, we are looking at buying a used golf cart for our family to use at the country club we are members. This will be our first golf cart and I was wondering what kinds of questions I should be asking potential sellers. We don't have a preference between electric or gas, but we would like one with a top and folding windshield. Headlights, radio, etc are all not necessary for us. We're looking to be in the $500 to $800 range.

Besides engine service history, seat vinyl condition, and tire condition, what are some tips when looking at golf carts.

Thanks

Recruit
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 20

Re: Looking to buy a used golf cart...

For that price, be happy if it has tires! I am a fan of electric so age of batteries would be good to ask. Seriously though, you won't get much for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by mkcrawford View Post
    OK fellow fanatics, we are looking at buying a used golf cart for our family to use at the country club we are members. This will be our first golf cart and I was wondering what kinds of questions I should be asking potential sellers. We don't have a preference between electric or gas, but we would like one with a top and folding windshield. Headlights, radio, etc are all not necessary for us. We're looking to be in the $500 to $800 range.

Besides engine service history, seat vinyl condition, and tire condition, what are some tips when looking at golf carts.

Thanks

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 355

Quote Originally Posted by PlanoClone View Post
    For that price, be happy if it has tires! I am a fan of electric so age of batteries would be good to ask. Seriously though, you won't get much for that price.
    Ya, expect to pay a little more if you want something reliable. I bought a 99 Yamaha for $1500, and that was pretty cheap. But I've put probably $1000 into it to make it look nice. New body kit($700), winshield($150),Ball and club washer($?), Tune up kit ($25 on ebay) I have no doubt I could sell it for $2500-$3000 now though.

Honestly a decent used golf cart that runs good, and is in good condition, expect to pay over $2000. It's worth it though in the long run. The good news is, if you keep it in good condition, it keeps it value pretty well

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 104

Saw one for sale on craigslist today, they range from $500-2500, most of them are closer to the latter. But there was an ok looking one for $500

#BEATIOWA

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 38

I can see I'm a bit low in what I was expecting to pay for a used golf cart. I went to Ebay and craigslist right after posting for this info here and saw where I needed to be. I'm also checking local golf courses bulletin boards and the newspaper ads. Thanks to those that replied.

Any other tips from fellow fanatics would be greatly appreciated.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

If you are near my part of the state I might have a project one for you. They really aren't that bad to work on as there is not much there. But sometime soon we are going to upgrade to a used gas powered gator with a dump box on it.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 355

Quote Originally Posted by mkcrawford View Post
    I can see I'm a bit low in what I was expecting to pay for a used golf cart. I went to Ebay and craigslist right after posting for this info here and saw where I needed to be. I'm also checking local golf courses bulletin boards and the newspaper ads. Thanks to those that replied.

Any other tips from fellow fanatics would be greatly appreciated.
    Look for one that is mechanically sound. You might be able to get one cheaper if the body and looks are not great but it runs decent. That's what I did, like I said, then you can slowly make it look nice.

For example, I think the body kits on Yamaha's didn't change from 96-2006(don't quote me on that, but it's something like that). So if you can find a 96 in good working condition, you can put a new body kit on it later, and it will look just like a 2006.

Then slowly customize it to make it your own, and how you like it. Most parts you need for it are faily cheap with the exception of the body kit, and maybe rims if you want something high end (but I would recommend hubcaps). Winsheild would be the next most expensive at about $150. But you can put it all together over the course of several years to make it not such a strain on your checkbook.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 254

$150 for a windshield is about right; $40-50 for a club/ball washer.

Unless you know who you are buying from, it may be better to buy from a dealer. Most of them will treat you right.