Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Anyone here ever had gout?

Pretty sure I am recovering from a gout attack on my left foot at the moment. Thing was bothering me a bit end of last week then spontaneously swelled up and became excrutiatingly painful on Sunday to the point I could no longer put weight on it by Sunday night. Went to the Dr. Monday morning and he seemed to think it was gout. Got a 10 day prescription of Indomethacin and just started Day 3 on that. Pain has gone away, but swelling is still significant if I don't keep my foot elevated. Just today I can put most my weight on my foot again, but trying to stay off it and using crutches to get around.

IF this is gout, it is extremely frustrating as there is no history of it in my family, I have always led a very healthy lifestyle (chronic exercise addict), hardly drink at all, eat extremely healthy, not obese, etc. I had my uric acid levels tested by in Feb as part of a blood test for some other arthritis like problems I was having and everything came back normal. In fact, my uric acid was on the low end of normal at 2.4.

Can't do much of anything until this goes away. Just laying here wasting my Summer away...sucks!!! I want to get to the gym and can't friggin move...aghhhh!

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,000
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 50

Re: Anyone here ever had gout?

I hear medical marijuana is a good cure for gout

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Pretty sure I am recovering from a gout attack on my left foot at the moment. Thing was bothering me a bit end of last week then spontaneously swelled up and became excrutiatingly painful on Sunday to the point I could no longer put weight on it by Sunday night. Went to the Dr. Monday morning and he seemed to think it was gout. Got a 10 day prescription of Indomethacin and just started Day 3 on that. Pain has gone away, but swelling is still significant if I don't keep my foot elevated. Just today I can put most my weight on my foot again, but trying to stay off it and using crutches to get around.

IF this is gout, it is extremely frustrating as there is no history of it in my family, I have always led a very healthy lifestyle (chronic exercise addict), hardly drink at all, eat extremely healthy, not obese, etc. I had my uric acid levels tested by in Feb as part of a blood test for some other arthritis like problems I was having and everything came back normal. In fact, my uric acid was on the low end of normal at 2.4.

Can't do much of anything until this goes away. Just laying here wasting my Summer away...sucks!!! I want to get to the gym and can't friggin move...aghhhh!
    I've been a gout sufferer for over 10 years (I'm 36 now). I have to take Allopurinol everyday, and as I long as keep up on that, I don't have too many problems. I get lazy and run out and don't get it refilled occasionally, and I end up paying the price. Gout attacks are brutal.

I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VTXCyRyD View Post
    I hear medical marijuana is a good cure for gout
    Funny...I have glaucoma also, but you won't see me lighting a doobie for either even if I could legally.

Gonna have the wife pick up some black cherry juice/extract. Seems to be a popular item for gout sufferers.

BTW...I wouldn't wish the pain on my worst enemy. It is worse than breaking a bone IMO.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by flynnhicks03 View Post
    I've been a gout sufferer for over 10 years (I'm 36 now). I have to take Allopurinol everyday, and as I long as keep up on that, I don't have too many problems. I get lazy and run out and don't get it refilled occasionally, and I end up paying the price. Gout attacks are brutal.
    what is your Uric Acid level? As mentioned, mine was plenty low back in February so not sure why I am suffering here as I live a lifestyle that pretty much does everything you should/can to avoid gout. Nothing else seems to make sense though with the way it spontaneously happened. Who knows? Frustrating.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 31

About 15 years ago I had attacks that sound similar to yours. A random joint - knee, fingers, shoulder, hip, etc... - would progressively get more sore until it was too painful to bend and eventually too painful to touch (even the weight of clothing or a bed sheet was too much). But then it would go away and be back to normal in a short period. These episodes lasted 2 or 3 days from normal to pain and back to normal and then I'd be fine for about a week or two and then a different joint would flare up. This only went on for about a year, but I gained a huge amount of respect for people with arthritis. I was tested for gout, arthritis, and lime disease and they didn't find anything. Not knowing what it was made it worse.

I'll be interested to hear how it turns out for you and good luck! You have my sympathy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    what is your Uric Acid level? As mentioned, mine was plenty low back in February so not sure why I am suffering here as I live a lifestyle that pretty much does everything you should/can to avoid gout. Nothing else seems to make sense though with the way it spontaneously happened. Who knows? Frustrating.
    It's been a while since I've had it checked. It seems like at my highest, I was around 11, but I'm usually in the 7-8 range.

I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 193

Just check out the add at the top of the page.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 289

I have gout and it's triggered by beer and I am dead serious. Most likely if you have drank beer in the last week it's causing it. My doc told me to try and stick to hard liquor if I had to drink

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I have gout and it's triggered by beer and I am dead serious. Most likely if you have drank beer in the last week it's causing it. My doc told me to try and stick to hard liquor if I had to drink
    I better not get the gout or I may have to kill myself.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've had one beer in the last week. As mentioned, I usually go weeks in between alcoholic beverages. Wine is supposedly ok I read.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

I have had gout. Don't know my uric acid levels. If it starts to be chronic, you'll know when an attack is starting, at which point get some ibuprofen and lots of water in you ASAP, and it seems to help a lot. I can't personally take Ibuprofen due to other kidney issues, so I go with allopurinol to keep it at bay and colchicine (nasty stuff) for an attack. On allopurinol I went about three years between my last two attacks. Cherry juice does seem to help if you get out ahead of it... Make sure it is 100% cherry and not apple/pear juice with cherry flavor. Beer is a big risk for me, so I pretty much only have it on occaion and never more than 2.

On the pain--one time I went to the doctor to check out a hernia I had. The conversation went something like this:

Doc: How bad is your pain on a scale from 1 to 10?
    me: I dunno.
    Doc: (looking at chart) Let's put it this way, if gout it a 10, what would you rate it?
    Me: Oh, um...a 2.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

When I was 26 I had my first attack. I weighed 120 pounds, barely drank (especially not beer) and did not eat the typical 'gout rich foods' diet. When it stated coming back around I jumped right on it and started taking the pills prescribed to keep it at bay. I battled with it off and of for a couple years - took over a year for my big toe joint to get to the point where I should shift with that foot on an ATV. Once I got through those years, I've never had it again...and I no longer weigh that lean 120 pounds and I'm 41. We laugh about it occasionally - - keeping in mind it took over ~10 years to get to the point where one can laugh about gout.

At the ER (since we were just sure I broke my foot) the doctor and nurse argued outside the room I was in, within earshot, about how I must be a raging alcoholic that lived a treacherous life of binge drinking... good times...

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

I have it started when I was 23. I take 3 alieve every 8 hours after I drink and I am ok for the most part. It does hurt like hell. I finally went to the Dr. and he said I need to stop drinking and eating so much beef. I was bumed as hell. But still do it. Just working on killing my liver with drugs and beer now I guess.

Prospect
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Once I had gout in both feet at the same time, I had to walk on my heels and roll my feet to the sides for three days, it was excruciating. I ended up having a kidney transplant last November and I still take allopurinol everyday. My doctor says I can quit taking the medication and see if it comes back, I said I think I will just stay on it, thanks anyway.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding.