Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Mad Hatter Beer

I am going to a family reunion in a couple of weeks and one of my cousins on the west coast and I are trading beers. He has requested I find some Mad Hatter for him, and am wondering if anyone could give me any tips as to where I can get it? I am in Waterloo/CF area but can travel to central Iowa if anyone knows exactly where it would be. Even a tip to a store with a good selection of beer in the waterloo area would be a good start.

Anyways thanks for helping, thought it would be easier to ask the Cyclone hive mind for some help.

Rookie
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 9

Re: Mad Hatter Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer View Post
    I am going to a family reunion in a couple of weeks and one of my cousins on the west coast and I are trading beers. He has requested I find some Mad Hatter for him, and am wondering if anyone could give me any tips as to where I can get it? I am in Waterloo/CF area but can travel to central Iowa if anyone knows exactly where it would be. Even a tip to a store with a good selection of beer in the waterloo area would be a good start.

Anyways thanks for helping, thought it would be easier to ask the Cyclone hive mind for some help.
    I actually live about 15 minutes from Holland, MI and so there is Mad Hatter everywhere around me and I am coming to Waterloo July 14th for that weekend. If all else fails, I could pick some up for you and you can meet me in the Loo to pick it up. If you no show, I guess I'd have to find something to do with it, HMMMMMM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 50

Other beers to consider trading with him:

Surly Furious (might have to find it in MN)
    Check Bell's distribution. Bell Two-Hearted is amazing and not available here in NYC, but may be available in CA.

Also, check Boulevard's smokestack series out. This may also be available in CA, but not in NYC. If he can't get this it might be worth picking him up a bottle or two.

In return I hope you're seeking some Pliny the Elder (I had to order mine on ebay) or anything else from Russian River. The Bruery also has some good beers but might already be available to you.

Good luck.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer View Post

You have good taste!

I have to go to IL to get mine. I've had little luck finding it in Iowa.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    Other beers to consider trading with him:

Check Bell's distribution. Bell Two-Hearted is amazing and not available here in NYC, but may be available in CA.

Also, check Boulevard's smokestack series out. This may also be available in CA, but not in NYC. If he can't get this it might be worth picking him up a bottle or two.

In return I hope you're seeking some Pliny the Elder (I had to order mine on ebay) or anything else from Russian River. The Bruery also has some good beers but might already be available to you.

Good luck.
    May have to have him check out some of those others. It looks like clonetil01 is giving me the hookup on the Mad Hatter. I will probably be picking up some clone ale to take up with us. Nothing beats drinking fine beer and fishing in northern MN. Thanks guys.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=BKLYNCyclone;2298392]Other beers to consider trading with him:

QUOTE]

I would agree with you on the Two Hearted over Mad Hatter, but they are both in the same class. For my money, and its an IPA, I going Short's, Huma Lumpa Licious out of Bellaire, MI or if I really want to spend some cash I'll go Dogfishhead 60 Minute or 90 Minute off the Tap. We're spoiled here in Michigan. I've spent lots of time at Bell's and New Holland's Brewery and you get the stuff that doesn't hit the shelves and it's cheaper and off the tap, AWESOME!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by clonetil01 View Post
    I would agree with you on the Two Hearted over Mad Hatter, but they are both in the same class. For my money, and its an IPA, I going Short's, Huma Lumpa Licious out of Bellaire, MI or if I really want to spend some cash I'll go Dogfishhead 60 Minute or 90 Minute off the Tap. We're spoiled here in Michigan. I've spent lots of time at Bell's and New Holland's Brewery and you get the stuff that doesn't hit the shelves and it's cheaper and off the tap, AWESOME!!
    The stuff at the breweries is usually pretty good. Brooklyn Brewery's Brewmaster Reserve series of beers (one-offs that they experiment with) have been some of my favorites.

I like the dogfish head 90 minute, but the 60 minute is a little pedestrian. The 90 minute is such a huge step forward from the 60 that I never buy the 60 anymore. If you can find it, the 120 is a treat, though not what you're expecting. Best when shared (6oz serving) and served in a brandy snifter.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    The stuff at the breweries is usually pretty good. Brooklyn Brewery's Brewmaster Reserve series of beers (one-offs that they experiment with) have been some of my favorites.

I like the dogfish head 90 minute, but the 60 minute is a little pedestrian. The 90 minute is such a huge step forward from the 60 that I never buy the 60 anymore. If you can find it, the 120 is a treat, though not what you're expecting. Best when shared (6oz serving) and served in a brandy snifter.
    I agree on the 60 and 90 difference but I didn't think the extra cost was worth the 120 compared to the 90, they tasted pretty much the same to me.