Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Linebacker group in 2011

I was reading the boards on cyclone report and CJ Morgan was brought up in conversation as starting at the SAM moving Klein to MIKE. I think this could be an interesting move by Burnham which could keep us in more of a base formation keeping Benton back at Safety. I am guessing George will see more playing time this year as well, I am excited to see how he improves in year 2.

I am also interested to see if they find a way to get Lynn on the field more than just on special teams. We are going to have a big hole to fill next season at CB so I think we need to get him as much experience this season as we can.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 510

Re: Linebacker group in 2011

Was this just plain speculation? Because Klein played much better at Sam than Mike last season.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yah total speculation. The conversation piece I was trying to bring up was would Klein at MIKE be better than the alternatives we have at the position? Plus adding a little more athleticism to the base defense in Morgan at SAM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Was this just plain speculation? Because Klein played much better at Sam than Mike last season.
    Not really. He was more noticed because there's more going on as a Sam in the Big 12 but he played at about the same level with different responsibilities.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Pille1895 View Post
    Yah total speculation. The conversation piece I was trying to bring up was would Klein at MIKE be better than the alternatives we have at the position? Plus adding a little more athleticism to the base defense in Morgan at SAM.
    It depends on George I guess.

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Not really. He was more noticed because there's more going on as a Sam in the Big 12 but he played at about the same level with different responsibilities.
    He definitely got better as the year went on but when he started the year at SAM he had a bad case of over pursuing plays and leaving awful cut back holes open.

Personally, I always thought he was more of a MIKE due to his skill set in pass coverage and quick movement. I think getting more of a hybrid type player at the SAM is the way to go. Especially if it frees up Benton to play back more.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    He definitely got better as the year went on but when he started the year at SAM he had a bad case of over pursuing plays and leaving awful cut back holes open.

Personally, I always thought he was more of a MIKE due to his skill set in pass coverage and quick movement. I think getting more of a hybrid type player at the SAM is the way to go. Especially if it frees up Benton to play back more.
    I would agree with that. He's a very aggressive pursuer of the ball so sometimes that stuff is going to happen. As a downhill tackler, I think he is a very good. That's not to say he couldn't be a great player across the LOS but last year he was best when he could make a quick decision and go at the ball carrier.

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

It depends on George I guess.
    I would agree with yaman3 here. Moving CJ Morgan to MIKE, would kind of fly in the face of other players that the staff is very high on, like George. I am assuming we are also leaving out the fact that the current starter in Matt T, wouldn't start.

So, I think this is definitely a little fun with summer speculation. I do wonder, if Matt T will be able to keep his spot on the depth chart. He must be very good at that position to hold back the young talent behind him.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 510

Well, at the start of spring ball, Wally said that Jevohn Miller is a "natural middle linebacker". So, just taking a wild guess, moving Klein inside (at least, so Morgan can play Sam) might not be the first option after Tau'fo'ou and George.

We still don't even know how long Tau'fo'ou's suspension will be, do we?

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 35

I would agree with that. He's a very aggressive pursuer of the ball so sometimes that stuff is going to happen. As a downhill tackler, I think he is a very good. That's not to say he couldn't be a great player across the LOS but last year he was best when he could make a quick decision and go at the ball carrier.
    I actually like Klein at MIKE. He doesn't have to cover the TE. He's not depended on to blitz as much and he's able to cover the entire field. IMO he's an above-average athlete at the MIKE but probably below average at the SAM. I like the idea of Morgan at the SAM and Klein at MIKE. We'll see, it looks to me like a really strong two-deep with Knott, Klein, Taufoou, Miller, George and Morgan with extra depth in Morton, Smith and Mattison. LB may be ISU's best position group.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I actually like Klein at MIKE. He doesn't have to cover the TE. He's not depended on to blitz as much and he's able to cover the entire field. IMO he's an above-average athlete at the MIKE but probably below average at the SAM. I like the idea of Morgan at the SAM and Klein at MIKE. We'll see, it looks to me like a really strong two-deep with Knott, Klein, Taufoou, Miller, George and Morgan with extra depth in Morton, Smith and Mattison. LB may be ISU's best position group.
    First, how much fun is it to debate which of 8 guys will play and where we can move them to get more talent on the field? I really like this.

Anyway, I think Klein is a better MLB as well especially if Morgan or Mattison can play SAM. The nice thing is that I see a lot of guys that can move around. Knott could play any one of the spots. I think Klein could play two. George may be able to play two. In the future I think SMith will be flexible. Really, the only guys who I think are kind of stationary are MT, Morgan and Mattison but at the same time I think Mattison and Morgan could be capable of playing the nickel when Benton is gone so they aren't really all that stationary. I feel good about everywhere on the defense really except for safety. I hope we can just be average there.

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 15

First, how much fun is it to debate which of 8 guys will play and where we can move them to get more talent on the field? I really like this.

Anyway, I think Klein is a better MLB as well especially if Morgan or Mattison can play SAM. The nice thing is that I see a lot of guys that can move around. Knott could play any one of the spots. I think Klein could play two. George may be able to play two. In the future I think SMith will be flexible. Really, the only guys who I think are kind of stationary are MT, Morgan and Mattison but at the same time I think Mattison and Morgan could be capable of playing the nickel when Benton is gone so they aren't really all that stationary. I feel good about everywhere on the defense really except for safety. I hope we can just be average there.
    Since Benton's now at safety, who's the nickel this year? Young?

Edit: According to the depth chart, Benton is the starting safety and nickel. I wonder how that will work.

Last edited by cycloneG; 07-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 156

I know there is possibility for a little more growth for both Morgan and Mattison coming into fall practice and the season but would anyone else worry about fielding a 207 pound linebacker?

I know we aren't exactly looking for the "prototype" (6-3 240) guys for this spot and want to have more athleticism, but that still seems pretty slight to go up against some of the bigger backs 1-on-1.

Seems almost the size of some strong safeties.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by Pille1895 View Post
    I agree with this, A.J. is going to be just fine at either position. I think he's the best option at both of those spots that we've got but the most beneficial for the team is having him at the Mike spot. Like others have said, it depends on what the newer faces bring to the table.

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 316

Anyone else think Klein gets overlooked for Knott? Nothing against Knott, he's great, and yah, prolly a little stronger, but I don't hear Klein mentioned that much. 110 tackles, 3 picks and 2 TD's ain't no slouch either. Looking at tackles, looked like he started strong and fell off a little, not sure if that's just what the offenses was throwing at us, Knott's stats went the other way. Anyway, just seemed to me like we always hear about Knott, but IMO, Klein's just a half step behind.