Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

My take on B-BALL....

Okay - here's the thing with my optimism over the coming mens basketball team...

Has there ever been more chatter about possible starting lineups? The fact that so many people think so highly of so many guys is a testament to the quality of basketball we will see this fall and thats coming from a football guy!!!!!

To be successful imo you need two things:
    Talented point guards - Check
    Depth - Check

This season could be truly memorable....i love to read about Hoibergs plan is coming along just as he suspected.

Yes ISU is transfer U....but, his intent was to upgrade talent immediately and not wait until years 3-4 to be successful...too many doubters in his corner...so he signs a bunch of outcasts from other teams that can flat out ball....i mean these guys especially those that have 1 season have to see this as an opportunity to shock the world and do something really special!!!!!

On a side note -the following paragraph is why i think J. Hamilton is a complete moron....

Royce White has to be 100% stoked about his 1,2,3 position players...you got guys out there handling the rock that have been through the wars, you have players that have already hit big shots, you have 3 pt shooters all over the place, you have guys that have won National Championships....guess what that does for his feeds into the paint - wide frickin open....everythings in place for him to come out blazin....

People as i read these posts about different lineups i chuckle because there are so many good combinations of talented players that this fall may be one for the ages as far as ISU basketball goes....this team will control their own destiny its no longer simply a lack of talent!!!!!

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 07-01-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 25

Re: My take on B-BALL....

We don't know anything about how talented our point guards are or how our depth is. Half of the roster hasn't played a minute of Big 12 basketball.

To be successful you need talent and chemistry. On paper we're talented. We have no idea about the team chemistry. You don't "need" depth to be a good team. I can think of a Floyd team and a Eustachy team that didn't have squat for depth and still were damn solid teams.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    We don't know anything about how talented our point guards are or how our depth is. Half of the roster hasn't played a minute of Big 12 basketball.

To be successful you need talent and chemistry. On paper we're talented. We have no idea about the team chemistry. You don't "need" depth to be a good team. I can think of a Floyd team and a Eustachy team that didn't have squat for depth and still were damn solid teams.
    You may be right but depth is only going to help. In case of injury or suspensions that depth comes in quite handy. I think chemistry is important but these guys have been playing together for over a year now, I think they got their roles figured out.

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Not so much talented point guards, but talented combo guards. Sledge could surprise and change that.

If Royce can distribute like he has been this summer, we shouldn't need a true point guard.

This team should be ridiculously good from beyond the arc.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,170
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

I should refine that....

Talented guard play....
    Thats not even knowing what we have in McGee or Sledge....But remember just because they play the 2 dont mean they dont control tempo or bring the ball up. But your right - for true point guards, we may have some question marks as it relates to BIG 12 ball...but for guard play, we have talented players out there....

And i agree 100% chemistry is a huge factor - was thinking i wonder how Royce's attitude will be especially if he's eyein a one and done....he may want to get his....

The point i was making is that our outside shooting is going to open up big wide areas for our bigs to work.....

And for anyone to think that depth is not a factor - i'm talking about for the long haul, into the tourney....depth can play a huge factor....

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,060
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    I should refine that....

Talented guard play....
    Thats not even knowing what we have in McGee or Sledge....But remember just because they play the 2 dont mean they dont control tempo or bring the ball up. But your right - for true point guards, we may have some question marks as it relates to BIG 12 ball...but for guard play, we have talented players out there....

And i agree 100% chemistry is a huge factor - was thinking i wonder how Royce's attitude will be especially if he's eyein a one and done....he may want to get his....

The point i was making is that our outside shooting is going to open up big wide areas for our bigs to work.....

And for anyone to think that depth is not a factor - i'm talking about for the long haul, into the tourney....depth can play a huge factor....
    I know what we have in McGee. He's a baller. Juco is serious business in the state of Kansas.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by TitanClone View Post
    Not so much talented point guards, but talented combo guards. Sledge could surprise and change that.

If Royce can distribute like he has been this summer, we shouldn't need a true point guard.

This team should be ridiculously good from beyond the arc.
    What are the chances of a freshman walking in and being a stud from day 1? Slim to none. Do some freshman do it? Absolutely. Is it likely? Not at all. Chris Colvin was supposed to walk in and be a good point guard and he needed at least another year to be ready to contribute. He struggled with ball handling, shooting, and finishing: things most freshman will struggle with.

On the second point, using the Capital City League as a measuring stick is stupid. It's guys out there playing pick up basketball. Didn't Alex Thompson tear up the Capital City League?

The sky is the limit on paper. However, someone on the floor needs to demand a double team (looking at you Royce and Booker) or the guards will have a hand in their face shooting. Last year DG could get by his defender with ease and demand help, freeing someone up in the half court sets. I don't expect Sledge to just walk in and do that from day 1, and McGee is going to also be adjusting to a new level of competition.

Prospect
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    you have guys that have won National Championships
    we have... tons of ... them ...!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by sullivm View Post
    we have... tons of ... them ...!
    You can make any point you want about this team in the pre-season and can back it up with logic. If you argue that we could be awesome from the arc, you can build that case. If you argue that we have guards that can "up tempo" our game as compared to the past, you can build that case. You can argue that they haven't played any Big 12 minutes before, so therefore, I'm not as high on them as some of you are. You can build that case. You can say we have unbelievable talent on the perimeter which will open up Royce and Melvin in the paint, you can build that case as well.

Here is my 2 cents worth. There will be one thing that drives this teams success, or lack thereof, and it will be KARMA. So many of them have been practicing what would seem to be an eternity together, and yet haven't played a game. To me, that only means one thing IF they truly are talented......and that is they are ready to blow the roof off of Hilton. If they gel like they potentially can, and if they have this we are one attitude and have this so called bond between them, then I think we indeed are in for one heck of a ride. However, if they don't play as one with this invisible chip on their shoulder, and the fans don't get rauticous (sp?) at Hilton, then I think they are just a 16 win team with nothing more than alot of talent.

I happen to think this whole thing is so nuts on how Fred did this, that he has them on the verge of huge things. I am just one fan here, but I think for the first time in ages, we have KARMA in our corner. If so, bring back the decibal measuring machine to Hilton. I am not a fan that is always so optimistic about everything, rather I tend to be conservative and analytical in my predictions, but this team has a chance to shock the basketball world. I think they are that scary good.

Last edited by yoteforever; 07-01-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,060
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    You can make any point you want about this team in the pre-season and can back it up with logic. If you argue that we could be awesome from the arc, you can build that case. If you argue that we have guards that can "up tempo" our game as compared to the past, you can build that case. You can argue that they haven't played any Big 12 minutes before, so therefore, I'm not as high on them as some of you are. You can build that case. You can say we have unbelievable talent on the perimeter which will open up Royce and Melvin in the paint, you can build that case as well.

Here is my 2 cents worth. There will be one thing that drives this teams success, or lack thereof, and it will be KARMA. So many of them have been practicing what would seem to be an eternity together, and yet haven't played a game. To me, that only means one thing IF they truly are talented......and that is they are ready to blow the roof off of Hilton. If they gel like they potentially can, and if they have this we are one attitude and have this so called bond between them, then I think we indeed are in for one heck of a ride. However, if they don't play as one with this invisible chip on their shoulder, and the fans don't get rauticous (sp?) at Hilton, then I think they are just a 16 win team with nothing more than alot of talent.

I happen to think this whole thing is so nuts on how Fred did this, that he has them on the verge of huge things. I am just one fan here, but I think for the first time in ages, we have KARMA in our corner. If so, bring back the decibal measuring machine to Hilton. I am not a fan that is always so optimistic about everything, rather I tend to be conservative and analytical in my predictions, but this team has a chance to shock the basketball world. I think they are that scary good.
    I agree with your post!
    Besides karma, more importantly, we have Fred Hoiberg in our corner.
    Name the last thing he wasnt successful at! Yeah, I cant think of anything either.
    Fred's entire life has been a huge success. So I am going to go ahead and remain highly optimistic until he gives me a reason to think otherwise.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    What are the chances of a freshman walking in and being a stud from day 1? Slim to none. Do some freshman do it? Absolutely. Is it likely? Not at all. Chris Colvin was supposed to walk in and be a good point guard and he needed at least another year to be ready to contribute. He struggled with ball handling, shooting, and finishing: things most freshman will struggle with.

Which is why I said could. I don't expect him to.

On the second point, using the Capital City League as a measuring stick is stupid. It's guys out there playing pick up basketball. Didn't Alex Thompson tear up the Capital City League?

Agreed. I said if Royce can distribute as well as he has. Which would turn his 13 assists into about 5-7 during the season.

The sky is the limit on paper. However, someone on the floor needs to demand a double team (looking at you Royce and Booker) or the guards will have a hand in their face shooting. Last year DG could get by his defender with ease and demand help, freeing someone up in the half court sets. I don't expect Sledge to just walk in and do that from day 1, and McGee is going to also be adjusting to a new level of competition.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    There will be one thing that drives this teams success, or lack thereof, and it will be KARMA.

You had me until this sentence. You're building a case on KARMA? What are you, a hookah-smoking, Southern California type? You build a logical step-by-step argument, building up to your big discussion point and that point is karma? Why not ESP or remote viewing? They are just as likely to occur as karma. Karma! meh.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 197

Coach Fred IS karma

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    Coach Fred IS karma

He looks more caramel to me, or maybe butterscotch.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    You had me until this sentence. You're building a case on KARMA? What are you, a hookah-smoking, Southern California type? You build a logical step-by-step argument, building up to your big discussion point and that point is karma? Why not ESP or remote viewing? They are just as likely to occur as karma. Karma! meh.
    QFT. Karma has NOTHING to do with Iowa State athletics, and if you are a real fan, you damn well know it.

If karma plays a role in athletics, I expect Iowa State football to win championships. Not one, not two, not three...

Keepers of the Faith -- The Unknown