Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 502
    Given: 134

Fan Blog: Iowa State, the franchise

Fanatics -

I bet that you'll all really enjoy this read by fan blogger psychlone99. I found myself to be very interested. Enjoy.

Fan Blog: Iowa State, the franchise | Cyclone Fanatic

Prospect
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Fan Blog: Iowa State, the franchise

I agree with most thigs said about Pollard except the new identity part. I am not a fan of the I State logo or some of the retro Cys he has tried. I much prefered the old Cy logo. So what if our mascott doesnt match our team name we are not the only ones and I think people make to big of a deal about it. Cy wouldnt be one of the most dominate mascotts on earth if the fans didnt like him. Another thing with our identity Pollard needs to get some better jerseys! Our football jerseys are pathetic and we need to stop trying to look like USC. BAsketball was better last year but I'd like to see an improvement across the board. Just my feelings though.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

I have been championing the basketball practice facility cause since last century.
    So when Pollard succeeded in getting the Sukup Basketball Complex built, I was ecstatic. It is obviously my favorite success story of his, and is extremely important to our basketball future. Im sure CFH is very grateful.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

JP has had his blunders along the way but if you look at things objectively I dont know how you can say that he doesnt grade out very highly, he is pretty darn good at "getting the most bang for your buck".

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 13

I, too, agree with most of the very well written article. I LIKE the new logo. ISU is in a VERY competitive league. I liked the tough Cy one, but the IState clearly has more regional / national identification potential. Branding needs (years) marketing.

I think ISU needs to RAMP UP the audio/visual promotional activity. Everyone is on the internet/mobile phone/facebook. Recruits want to SEE things. There needs to be positive photos/videos of ISU and its activities streaming into homes and high schools every day.

I am not sure how much bang we get for the buck from local "meet and greet" things like tail gate tours. For the money and coaches time, radio talk shows, you tube videos are heads above. Coach Rhoads totally impromptu , "I'm so proud"...., shown on youtube has been seen by thousands of kids. Rhoads is an excitable guy---getting him in front of people when you can, when you can't, show videos of he, players, and the staff!!!!!!

On the subject of promotion, I hear practically nothing out of the Gridiron Club. I recently joined. OUtside of the great job Fanatic did with Cookout video, I can't find anyone who talks them up......

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

I agree with most thigs said about Pollard except the new identity part.
    I am not a fan of the I State
    logo or some of the retro
    Cys he has tried. I much
    prefered the old Cy logo. So
    what if our mascott doesnt
    match our team name we
    are not the only ones and I
    think people make to big of a
    deal about it. Cy wouldnt be
    one of the most dominate
    mascotts on earth if the fans
    didnt like him. Another thing
    with our identity Pollard
    needs to get some better
    jerseys! Our football jerseys
    are pathetic and we need to
    stop trying to look like USC.
    BAsketball was better last
    year but I'd like to see an
    improvement across the
    board. Just my feelings
    though.
    we've had the same basketball jerseys for 2 years now. plus we have some of the best road unis in the NCAA and they don't look like USC

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,104
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good write up and solid read - nice work.

- “I’m not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,072
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

I think your review is a right about some aspects but other aspects you have painted to rosy of a picture.

The things Pollard has been good at are are raising money and improving facilities which is very important, but also important is winning, not in gymnastics or water polo or any other sport, but in football and men's basketball. We have not been to any NCCA tournaments in basketball since Pollard has been AD and only one Bowl game in football. Not only that, we have been consistently near the bottom of the big 12 in both of those sports.

Coaches: Pollard has also not done a good job with coaches either.
    He couldn't hold onto Sanderson.

McDermott was a failure at Iowa State and Jamie gave him a horrible contract for ISU which automatically gave him extra years even though he didn't earn them. Plus Jamie wasn't even going to fire him after how bad he was doing. He defended Gregg through the losing and chastised players for transfering when it was obviously a failing of the coach. He got lucky when Fred put his name in the ring because he wasn't going to find a quality coach, we were going to have to take a gamble on another mid-major guy.

Chizik: another failure with only 5 wins in two years but the worst part was Jamie was ready to give him an extension before he left.

Rhoads: This is Jamie's best coaching decision.

The bottom line is that he as done a great job with raising money and improving facilities but a bad job, so far, in terms of getting our basketball and football programs out of the cellar of the big 12. Now, the future looks brighter, but I believe you can't rate it on how the future might turn out but the reality of the situation right now.

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well done- I agree with this word for word.

Pollard is the best athletics director in america...

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 119

Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    I think your review is a right about some aspects but other aspects you have painted to rosy of a picture.

The things Pollard has been good at are are raising money and improving facilities which is very important, but also important is winning, not in gymnastics or water polo or any other sport, but in football and men's basketball. We have not been to any NCCA tournaments in basketball since Pollard has been AD and only one Bowl game in football. Not only that, we have been consistently near the bottom of the big 12 in both of those sports.

McDermott was a failure at Iowa State and Jamie gave him a horrible contract for ISU which automatically gave him extra years even though he didn't earn them. Plus Jamie wasn't even going to fire him after how bad he was doing. He defended Gregg through the losing and chastised players for transfering when it was obviously a failing of the coach. He got lucky when Fred put his name in the ring because he wasn't going to find a quality coach, we were going to have to take a gamble on another mid-major guy.

Chizik: another failure with only 5 wins in two years but the worst part was Jamie was ready to give him an extension before he left.

The bottom line is that he as done a great job with raising money and improving facilities but a bad job, so far, in terms of getting our basketball and football programs out of the cellar of the big 12. Now, the future looks brighter, but I believe you can't rate it on how the future might turn out but the reality of the situation right now.
    Not sure if that's fair, it's not like he can strap on shoulder pads and lead the team onto the field. He has to find the coach he thinks can do it best with what ISU has available. He has obviously done that with CPR. Chizik on the other hand(first time I have actually typed his name out correctly) can be an effective "CEO"/figure head for a program if the right personnel is placed around him(Malzahn). Pollards main problem there was being a little too trusting and not getting involved in the assistant hiring/firing soon enough.

A few of his other failings were getting rid of Bobby Douglas, who, say what you want, could coach wrestling for Cael(good decision at the time but underachieved for whatever reason), Letting Cael leave before he figured it out and getting rid of KJ when she asked for next to nothing.

The whole McD thing was a bad deal from the start and I personally chock that up to a terrible hire.

Keep in mind when you think about an AD he isn't a coach, he is responsible for hiring coaches so therefore is responsible for the product but can't call plays in to the QBs headset or to the point guard at midcourt. JP has worked some serious magic for funding and facilities and is giving ISU the tools to succeed.

I think it is similar to teaching someone to fish (CPR getting new facilities and being told to recruit his *** off) versus giving them a fish (buying a heisman QB/RB, etc)

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

Given the information available at the time of each hire, I have a hard time criticizing any of his coaching moves. I no longer post any new material to my old blog, but here is a link to an update I did back in January explaining my logic: POLLARD’S PICKS | Eye of the Storm

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    JP has had his blunders along the way but if you look at things objectively I dont know how you can say that he doesnt grade out very highly, he is pretty darn good at "getting the most bang for your buck".
    Excellent post. Pollard has done more with less than anyone before him considering the bucket of **** he started with. Is he perfect, no, but he has had the balls to make tough decisions when needed....his predecessors did not. Like him or not, he is the best thing to come to ISU.

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 97

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    Excellent post. Pollard has done more with less than anyone before him considering the bucket of **** he started with. Is he perfect, no, but he has had the balls to make tough decisions when needed....his predecessors did not. Like him or not, he is the best thing to come to ISU.

Z
    Exactly how I feel about JP. Is he perfect? Hell no. Are we (or anyone else) going to get an upgrade? Hell no.

I would love his critics to point out one AD they would rather have. He definitely burned the flag of some folks who wanted ISU Athletics to stay "cute" and be able to go to games for almost nothing, but he's gotten a hell of a lot done. It won't be 2000 forever (most of the folks I see criticize him were in school during the Insight Bowl/great bball years).

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 39

Snderson wasn't staying. Jamie couldn't afford to pump the money into wrestling Cael wanted and PSU could.

Chizik was saddled by the recruiting classes of Mac later on. I still believe that. Look at some of the players he brought in. Look at Macs last two classes. He upgraded the talent and I believe he would have won here. I like where we are though.

Mac did terribly but at the time of the hire, he was a hot name and I challenge you find anyone from any media source who thought that was anything but a great hire for ISU after the embarrassments.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Cydog04 View Post
    I agree with most thigs said about Pollard except the new identity part. I am not a fan of the I State logo or some of the retro Cys he has tried. I much prefered the old Cy logo. So what if our mascott doesnt match our team name we are not the only ones and I think people make to big of a deal about it. Cy wouldnt be one of the most dominate mascotts on earth if the fans didnt like him. Another thing with our identity Pollard needs to get some better jerseys! Our football jerseys are pathetic and we need to stop trying to look like USC. BAsketball was better last year but I'd like to see an improvement across the board. Just my feelings though.
    i disagree with most everything u said here, just my opinion.