Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

U.S. Calls Out Schools with Highest Tuition Hikes

Roughly 530 colleges across the country will soon have to submit special reports to Uncle Sam, explaining why their tuition and student fees have recently surged.
    For the first time ever the Department of Education released a list Thursday morning, ranking colleges with the steepest tuition hikes.

The report lists the top 5% of schools with the sharpest tuition increases over a three-year period for several categories. By law, the worst offenders will now be required to submit special reports to the government, explaining why costs have gone up so dramatically, and how they plan to address rising prices.
    The nation's largest public university, Arizona State University is among those listed, after it hiked tuition 38% from $4,971 in the 2007-2008 school year, to $6,844 just three years later.
    All three of Arizona's public universities were on the list -- not coincidentally, after the state government imposed some of the nation's harshest cuts on higher education. Since fiscal 2008, the state has slashed its university funding by 50% or $428 million. More statewide tuition hikes are on the way in the fall.
    U.S. says colleges with big tuition hikes must explain - Jun. 30, 2011

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,030
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 324

Re: U.S. Calls Out Schools with Highest Tuition Hikes

Reason 1: Filling out stupid paperwork for the federal government cost us a lot of $$$, so we pass the negative savings on to our students.

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 31

Tuition hikes information should be presented with information pertaining the faculty hiring and faculty pay/benefits increases each year. It should also be presented with the amount of donations and income the school receives.

"The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare

Addict
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 109

I was able to sit in on a conversation with Board of Regents president David Miles at ISU earlier this year and he actually talked about Arizona. He said the situation there was kind of similar to in Iowa, with the state government slashing funding. However, they decided to increase tuition to make up for the lost dollars. In Iowa, we've raised tuition, but not nearly at the pace of the cut funding.

I don't really think these reports are necessary, either, but for a much different reason: Because we already know that the state governments have found an "easy" target to take money from. College students can generally take out more loans, so why should the taxpayer foot the bill? This incredibly short-sighted approach will cost us down the line, but, as this isn't in the Cave, I shan't say any more.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 8

I'm going to guess that filling out paperwork for the federal government isn't one of the primary causes of a 38% tuition hike.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I was able to sit in on a conversation with Board of Regents president David Miles at ISU earlier this year and he actually talked about Arizona. He said the situation there was kind of similar to in Iowa, with the state government slashing funding. However, they decided to increase tuition to make up for the lost dollars. In Iowa, we've raised tuition, but not nearly at the pace of the cut funding.

I don't really think these reports are necessary, either, but for a much different reason: Because we already know that the state governments have found an "easy" target to take money from. College students can generally take out more loans, so why should the taxpayer foot the bill? This incredibly short-sighted approach will cost us down the line, but, as this isn't in the Cave, I shan't say any more.
    Maybe because you can't bankrupt your way out of college loans like you can for just about everything else? I hate this view that some older people have of 'well, I got mine, so **** everyone that comes after me'.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    I'm going to guess that filling out paperwork for the federal government isn't one of the primary causes of a 38% tuition hike.
    Less state funding is the reason.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Figured up the other day at the average 8% a year increase in 20 years kids will be paying approx $70k a year for school. This is not a sustainable system, the return on investment is already gone.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclone06 View Post
    Figured up the other day at the average 8% a year increase in 20 years kids will be paying approx $70k a year for school. This is not a sustainable system, the return on investment is already gone.
    huh? So first of all, ISU hasn't had a tuition hike of 8% in the last 5 years (http://www.ir.iastate.edu/FB11/PDF/FB11-065.pdf), so your 8% projection is probably too high to start with. But beyond that, I don't think you did your math right. In state tuition at ISU for 2011/12 is: $6400 (Iowa State University: Fees Information) and if we do use an 8% tuition rate increase then we will be at $31,000/year in 20 years.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post

Unfortunately this is only transferring the burden to an entire generation of taxpayers.... future college grads. Listen to every politician in the upcoming election cycle and you will hear a broken record. We need to fix the economy, we need new ideas, we need innovation, we need renewable energy, we need to strengthen industries, blah, blah, blah. What they don't seem to understand is that by cutting funding to universities across the country they are being counterproductive towards reaching those goals. Many kids will choose a 2 year degree over a 4 year degree, those that go for a 4 year degree might skip going to grad school or further due to the ridiculous costs, etc.... Then the universities start slashing their budgets which means quality professors get canned, programs get cut totally, other programs get cut down to bare bones, and then you have to ask what is the quality of the education that is being provided?

People wonder why the US has lost it's place in the world as a leader in innovation, industry, and business in general. One only has to look as far as our ranking in the world in education. We used to dominate but have been on a steady decline which coincidentally goes right along with the steady decline in funding for education not just at the college level but on all levels. Our current economic problems shouldn't be surprising anyone as education has a direct impact on what drives the US economy..... WORKERS!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Less state funding is the reason.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by temperflare View Post
    Tuition hikes information should be presented with information pertaining the faculty hiring and faculty pay/benefits increases each year. It should also be presented with the amount of donations and income the school receives.
    I obviously can't speak for anywhere else, but at the University of Illinois the faculty haven't received pay increases in a couple of years now. Many departments here are under hiring freezes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclone06 View Post
    Increase in cost is not going to follow a linear trend. In-state tuition will just end up costing as much as out-of-state tuition. It will reach an asymptote. You're not going to see an 8% increase every year. But you are right about it not being sustainable.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,192
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 18

I agree that we need to keep college as cheap as possible, because it's definitely beneficial to have an educated work force.

However, I still think that 6500 per year isn't that egregious. That's 26k to 32k depending on if you're on the 4/5 year program. I think it's the living expenses that are killing most people. What I can't understand or figure out are people who have no concept of how much debt they're going into during college, but getting a partime job never crosses their mind.

"My Degree isn't worth the debt" - it should be "I'm an idiot and have no concept of how the world works. Please hire me and over pay me, or I'm screwed."

My degree isn't worth the debt! - Shane Dixon (1) - CNNMoney

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

Quote Originally Posted by DurangoCy View Post
    I agree that we need to keep college as cheap as possible, because it's definitely beneficial to have an educated work force.

However, I still think that 6500 per year isn't that egregious. That's 26k to 32k depending on if you're on the 4/5 year program. I think it's the living expenses that are killing most people. What I can't understand or figure out are people who have no concept of how much debt they're going into during college, but getting a partime job never crosses their mind.

"My Degree isn't worth the debt" - it should be "I'm an idiot and have no concept of how the world works. Please hire me and over pay me, or I'm screwed."

My degree isn't worth the debt! - Shane Dixon (1) - CNNMoney
    While I agree that $6,500 per year isn't out of control quite yet it will be sooner then you think. That and there are many universities that are already well past that amount per year and still rising. Right now it is absolutely critical with the largest generation in US history quickly reaching retirement age that college remain affordable so that these folks can be replaced with well educated and well trained workers. If not the slide we are seeing right now in productivity and innovation in the US is going to turn into an avalanche and our economy will simply fall into an even worse condition.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 27

$6500 is not that bad, I spend half that on preschool for 1 kid. Spending $30k in 4 years to get an education that will allow you to make twice the salary after college ends really is cheap still.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775