Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 54,578, Level: 72
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    KMAC_ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    2,235
    Points
    54,578
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

    Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    Can i get a HELL yeah?

    Here's some down and dirty numbers....

    In 2007 our class looked like this:
    1-4*
    9-3*
    15-2*

    Our current 2012 class has 5 3* players out of the blocks. Now i'm a big fan of the saying "rankings dont mean everything" - but, its promising that other people and universities think these players can play and we dont have to keep saying "Oh heres a diamond in the rough"!

    Here's some other quick hitter stats:
    2007 2 of 25 players were ranked at their position nationally.
    2008 5 of 25
    2009 5 of 25
    2010 6 of 28
    2011 4 of 24
    2012 3 of 5 - meaning this class already has more players ranked at their positions then the class of 2007 and we only have 5 commits.

    The basics are this, i think coach Rhoads is the real deal - the staff is developing these kids and that can be seen as players leave, we have somebody ready to take over. Last year at LB was a real topic at the beginning of the season...turns out to be the strongest position on the team bar none.

    Things are looking up people, the talent is coming in, were able to redshirt a bunch of kids and they have time to develop and get their bodys ready to handle big 12 play.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 737,175, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    48,080
    Points
    737,175
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,604
    Given: 761

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    HELL yeah



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 52,852, Level: 71
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,198
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,824
    Points
    52,852
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 271

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    Stars don't mean anything. (That's what we used to say)



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 265,088, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,528
    Points
    265,088
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 696

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Can i get a HELL yeah?

    Here's some down and dirty numbers....

    In 2007 our class looked like this:
    1-4*
    9-3*
    15-2*

    Our current 2012 class has 5 3* players out of the blocks. Now i'm a big fan of the saying "rankings dont mean everything" - but, its promising that other people and universities think these players can play and we dont have to keep saying "Oh heres a diamond in the rough"!

    Here's some other quick hitter stats:
    2007 2 of 25 players were ranked at their position nationally.
    2008 5 of 25
    2009 5 of 25
    2010 6 of 28
    2011 4 of 24
    2012 3 of 5 - meaning this class already has more players ranked at their positions then the class of 2007 and we only have 5 commits.

    The basics are this, i think coach Rhoads is the real deal - the staff is developing these kids and that can be seen as players leave, we have somebody ready to take over. Last year at LB was a real topic at the beginning of the season...turns out to be the strongest position on the team bar none.

    Things are looking up people, the talent is coming in, were able to redshirt a bunch of kids and they have time to develop and get their bodys ready to handle big 12 play.
    I totally agree. ISU still has quite a way to go but things are definitely looking up with this staff in charge. It seems like the overall talent level has been steadily improving and while there have been a few instances when ISU has been blown out of the water by some of their Big XII competition there have been plenty of times when ISU has stacked up quite well. Nebraska has been an upper tier team nationally the past 2 seasons and ISU beat them once and took them to OT once. Texas is a national power and while they struggled last season people seem to forget that the Longhorns have 5-star talent at just about every position on the field. I don't care what their record was because it was not an indicator of their overall talent and let's face it.... ISU dominated them across the board last fall. The reality is that in the past a Texas team that wasn't playing to it's full potential would have dropped 50 on ISU and made it look easy. Not anymore. Our D held Mizzou's juggernaut offense to 14 points and that was with our offense playing probably their worst game of the season. If the O had a halfway decent game the Clones walk out of JTS with a win and the Telephone Trophy that night. Sure our team has struggled against Iowa, Oklahoma, and of course Utah but those are all programs with recent BCS success.... they are on another level then where ISU is at and it is going to take some time for ISU to be in a position to compete with them on a yearly basis. Baby steps. CPR and the team are now beating the teams that they should beat which hasn't been the case in the past and they are being very competitive in the toss up games. They have shown that they have the ability to knock off national power programs from time to time as well.

    To put things in perspective it hasn't been that long since ISU couldn't beat anybody on the road... Big XII or otherwise and the fans knew it. That has changed now. Think back 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, etc.... and tell me if you thought it would be realistic to say that ISU would walk into Lincoln, NE and Austin, TX in back to back seasons and come out with victories. Most people would have told you that you were insane. Now it is a reality. Still quite a few areas for improvement but with the level of success we have achieved up to this point it is hard not to say that this team is light years ahead of where it has been.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 128,747, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,952
    Points
    128,747
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 102

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    On this how is Barkley Hill not rated?



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 58,787, Level: 75
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,263
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,629
    Points
    58,787
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 133

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    For Sure. I put more stock in who else offers a kid versus stars. I think CPR and staff have done much better getting kids that have offers from other BCS schools. Our previous two coaches seemed to sign a lot of kidsthat mostly had offers from MAC, WAC, and Div II schools



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 186,296, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,462
    Points
    186,296
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 448

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    I never understood judging the 'recruiting battle' any other way than winning games, being all conference, or going to the NFL.


    Last edited by ajk4st8; 06-24-2011 at 09:27 AM.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 26,112, Level: 49
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    Points
    26,112
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    For Sure. I put more stock in who else offers a kid versus stars. I think CPR and staff have done much better getting kids that have offers from other BCS schools. Our previous two coaches seemed to sign a lot of kidsthat mostly had offers from MAC, WAC, and Div II schools
    If that is your metric, you shouldn't be too excited about this class yet....between ISU's current commits (West, Rohach, Myers, Knott, & Hill) they have a sum total of ONE offer from another BCS school - that offer is Iowa's to Barkley Hill after he committed to ISU. Other than that, the guys currently committed to ISU have offers from MAC, Sun Belt, and FCS schools.

    That said, the fact that ISU has five commitments in June certainly speaks wonders to Rhoads putting ISU on the right track on the recruiting front. Even if no one else thinks that these kids deserve an early offer, Rhoads does, and he is getting the guys he wants early in the process. I definitely think he has an eye for getting "diamonds in the rough", and will likely score big on a few of these under the radar recruits, however, ISU does need to start competing with other BCS schools on a consistent basis in order to really upgrade the talent level. No one bats 100% on the "under the radar" guys.

    Rhoads did prove last year though that he could hang tough on a few kids with offers from other BCS schools. I'm a big Rhoads fan....I think he has ISU moving in the right direction. So far he has gotten a number of developmental guys in this class, I expect him to pull some kids with BCS offers as the year progresses though.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 443,759, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,931
    Points
    443,759
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 25

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    We're only headed in the right direction if we're gaining on the other schools in the Big 12. If our classes get better, but everyone else's are too, we haven't gained anything.



  10. #10
    Recruit
    Points: 3,702, Level: 17
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    InCytful1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    100
    Points
    3,702
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    I totally agree. ISU still has quite a way to go but things are definitely looking up with this staff in charge. It seems like the overall talent level has been steadily improving and while there have been a few instances when ISU has been blown out of the water by some of their Big XII competition there have been plenty of times when ISU has stacked up quite well. Nebraska has been an upper tier team nationally the past 2 seasons and ISU beat them once and took them to OT once. Texas is a national power and while they struggled last season people seem to forget that the Longhorns have 5-star talent at just about every position on the field. I don't care what their record was because it was not an indicator of their overall talent and let's face it.... ISU dominated them across the board last fall. The reality is that in the past a Texas team that wasn't playing to it's full potential would have dropped 50 on ISU and made it look easy. Not anymore. Our D held Mizzou's juggernaut offense to 14 points and that was with our offense playing probably their worst game of the season. If the O had a halfway decent game the Clones walk out of JTS with a win and the Telephone Trophy that night. Sure our team has struggled against Iowa, Oklahoma, and of course Utah but those are all programs with recent BCS success.... they are on another level then where ISU is at and it is going to take some time for ISU to be in a position to compete with them on a yearly basis. Baby steps. CPR and the team are now beating the teams that they should beat which hasn't been the case in the past and they are being very competitive in the toss up games. They have shown that they have the ability to knock off national power programs from time to time as well.

    To put things in perspective it hasn't been that long since ISU couldn't beat anybody on the road... Big XII or otherwise and the fans knew it. That has changed now. Think back 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, etc.... and tell me if you thought it would be realistic to say that ISU would walk into Lincoln, NE and Austin, TX in back to back seasons and come out with victories. Most people would have told you that you were insane. Now it is a reality. Still quite a few areas for improvement but with the level of success we have achieved up to this point it is hard not to say that this team is light years ahead of where it has been.
    Except K-State



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 106,082, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,180
    Points
    106,082
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    If that is your metric, you shouldn't be too excited about this class yet....between ISU's current commits (West, Rohach, Myers, Knott, & Hill) they have a sum total of ONE offer from another BCS school - that offer is Iowa's to Barkley Hill after he committed to ISU. Other than that, the guys currently committed to ISU have offers from MAC, Sun Belt, and FCS schools.

    That said, the fact that ISU has five commitments in June certainly speaks wonders to Rhoads putting ISU on the right track on the recruiting front. Even if no one else thinks that these kids deserve an early offer, Rhoads does, and he is getting the guys he wants early in the process. I definitely think he has an eye for getting "diamonds in the rough", and will likely score big on a few of these under the radar recruits, however, ISU does need to start competing with other BCS schools on a consistent basis in order to really upgrade the talent level. No one bats 100% on the "under the radar" guys.

    Rhoads did prove last year though that he could hang tough on a few kids with offers from other BCS schools. I'm a big Rhoads fan....I think he has ISU moving in the right direction. So far he has gotten a number of developmental guys in this class, I expect him to pull some kids with BCS offers as the year progresses though.

    I'll let you in on a little secret - that isn't correct. Speak on things you have a clue about, son.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 26,112, Level: 49
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    Points
    26,112
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYphyllis View Post
    I'll let you in on a little secret - that isn't correct. Speak on things you have a clue about, son.
    I used Rivals database to find that stat...if you are more informed that Rivals, good for you. I'm not. By all means, let me know how far off I was though.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 870,336, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    56,551
    Points
    870,336
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,224
    Given: 1,834

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    I used Rivals database to find that stat...if you are more informed that Rivals, good for you. I'm not. By all means, let me know how far off I was though.
    Either way, it's good of you to let us know to temper our enthusiasm. I'm sure we all appreciate it.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 94,276, Level: 95
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,709
    Points
    94,276
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 60

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    I really like how they've done so far. Good recruits that fit into the program and most have decent offer lists. At this point, there isn't a lot of sense in doubting the evaluation skills of the staff. They haven't earned total blind recruiting trust yet, but they're closer to that than the opposite...having to be skeptical of every recruit. Here's how I would like it to go:

    QB: Rohach - I think that Knott is a Safety.
    RB: Hill + 1 more - Sucks that Demas committed to Boise St. They'll have to find one more...Duck and Nealy are starting this season in the doghouse.
    WR: Got their big WR in West, now they need a slot guy. I like James Brooks. It wouldn't surprise me if they got a JUCO here too since they're losing two starters.
    TE: Gotta get one every class. Maybe Culkin or Kerwin Harrison?
    OL: They've been doing a nice job here...just gotta keep filling the pipeline. I'd say 1 tackle, 1 guard, 1 center would do that. In-state seems to be heavy on skill positions and light on OLs, so they're probably going to need to go out of state.

    DE: They're going to lose half their two-deep here, so this position is going to be a priority. I like the two kids from Pfluggerville, TX. I also like the Bevins kid from Creston, even though he might end up at DT...could be a greyshirt candidate. Wouldn't surprise me if they went JUCO here too.
    DT/NG: Got a DT in Meyers. They've actually started to do a decent job here with Pompey and Jensen, but they really need to keep upping the overall talent here. I'd say find a NG and then bring in another JUCO to make sure the depth is at a good level.
    LB: Another very important position for this class. I think that Seeley will commit soon enough. The other two spots are critical because whoever they bring in is going to have one year behind a set of all-conference LBs before being thrown to the wolves. If they're good enough, they'll play special teams and backup as TRFR like Knott and Klein did.
    CB: Looks like they're going to bring in one JUCO, which makes sense with LJ, Benton and Young graduating. They've done a good job filling the pipeline with Thomas, Lynn and Richardson...need two more HS kids in this class.
    S: I think that Knott goes here. No idea who the other spot goes to. Do they go JUCO since they lose Benton and Brooks?
    K: So, they have offers out to a couple kickers ranked in the top 10 at their position. IMO if they don't get one of those kids, they wait to see how the walk-on from Plano does. They might just have some Iowa kids walk on and have a competition with whoever is already on the roster. I don't think that it's a given that they bring in a scholarship kicker if they can't get a blue chip kid.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 361,947, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,302
    Points
    361,947
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

    Re: Recruiting - are we headed in the right direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    If that is your metric, you shouldn't be too excited about this class yet....between ISU's current commits (West, Rohach, Myers, Knott, & Hill) they have a sum total of ONE offer from another BCS school - that offer is Iowa's to Barkley Hill after he committed to ISU. Other than that, the guys currently committed to ISU have offers from MAC, Sun Belt, and FCS schools.

    That said, the fact that ISU has five commitments in June certainly speaks wonders to Rhoads putting ISU on the right track on the recruiting front. Even if no one else thinks that these kids deserve an early offer, Rhoads does, and he is getting the guys he wants early in the process. I definitely think he has an eye for getting "diamonds in the rough", and will likely score big on a few of these under the radar recruits, however, ISU does need to start competing with other BCS schools on a consistent basis in order to really upgrade the talent level. No one bats 100% on the "under the radar" guys.

    Rhoads did prove last year though that he could hang tough on a few kids with offers from other BCS schools. I'm a big Rhoads fan....I think he has ISU moving in the right direction. So far he has gotten a number of developmental guys in this class, I expect him to pull some kids with BCS offers as the year progresses though.
    You're wrong. I know you are trying to be nice here but the first part of you post is incorrect. Michigan is going to take one receiever this year and they offered West. What does that say? Rohach would like have been offered by Boise. I know, not a BCS school, but still quality. The thing is, with these early commits, offers aren't always accurate because:

    1. Schools won't waste their time trying to sway kids
    2. Kids may not find other offers important so no one will know they got them.

    I'm not going to make this class out to be more than what it is but they type of athlete is better. These guys have been getting looks and we're not really used to getting early commitments from guys like Barkley Hill who, in the past, would have waited for the Iowa offer.


    It's all snark from here on out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM