Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: System Crashes

  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 913,623, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,167
    Points
    913,623
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,658
    Given: 4,708

    System Crashes

    Reading the thread about Windows 8 last night was interesting. Someone mentioned that their computer had never crashed using Windows 7.

    Immediately after that, I had an automatic update for Windows, and my computer has been crashing ever since.

    I went into Safe Mode, thinking I could just go to an old restore point. Apparently, I don't have any.

    What can I do to get this thing worked out? Am I going to have to go to the nuclear option and restore the whole thing?


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 14,664, Level: 36
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    zarnold56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    981
    Points
    14,664
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 27

    Re: System Crashes

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Reading the thread about Windows 8 last night was interesting. Someone mentioned that their computer had never crashed using Windows 7.

    Immediately after that, I had an automatic update for Windows, and my computer has been crashing ever since.

    I went into Safe Mode, thinking I could just go to an old restore point. Apparently, I don't have any.

    What can I do to get this thing worked out? Am I going to have to go to the nuclear option and restore the whole thing?
    When is it crashing? I had a problem with windows 7 where it would crash trying to install the updates and would never do it. Had to tell it to install them individually instead of the 7 or so in a group. Only problem I have ever had with Win 7



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 913,623, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,167
    Points
    913,623
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,658
    Given: 4,708

    Re: System Crashes

    Ever few minutes. Seems to be in various programs or actions.

    I see the description:
    KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR.

    This page is interesting:
    KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

    I would prefer not to see the failing RAM option.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 219,301, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    14,490
    Points
    219,301
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 661
    Given: 957

    Re: System Crashes

    Sounds like it's a driver problem. Do you happen to have an external drive connected to it?



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 22,153, Level: 45
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    515 via 712
    Posts
    986
    Points
    22,153
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: System Crashes

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Ever few minutes. Seems to be in various programs or actions.

    I see the description:
    KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR.

    This page is interesting:
    KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

    I would prefer not to see the failing RAM option.
    There's a file called kernel32.dll in C:\Windows\System32, that could be where the problem is.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 913,623, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,167
    Points
    913,623
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,658
    Given: 4,708

    Re: System Crashes

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Sounds like it's a driver problem. Do you happen to have an external drive connected to it?
    I did just pick one up this week. This sounds like a good lead.

    I just plugged that in and went with it. I'm guessing that I should have actually installed the driver.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 432,932, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    22,905
    Points
    432,932
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,758
    Given: 1,040

    Re: System Crashes

    Ive been having like.. once every day or two crashes lately. ******* me off as i cant figure out what's causing it.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 22,321, Level: 45
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HawkFanISUalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    789
    Points
    22,321
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: System Crashes

    My father-in-law's Win7 laptop started crashing after a driver update for his SD Card reader.

    Do you remember which update you installed? You should be able to remove that particular update in Add/Remove Programs.

    If you think it might be a RAM issue, most manufacturers have a Diagnostics package you can download from their support sites that will create a bootable CD. Boot to the CD and it'll run through and test your hardware for issues. That should help rule out the RAM if that's the problem.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 913,623, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,167
    Points
    913,623
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,658
    Given: 4,708

    Re: System Crashes

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkFanISUalum View Post
    My father-in-law's Win7 laptop started crashing after a driver update for his SD Card reader.

    Do you remember which update you installed? You should be able to remove that particular update in Add/Remove Programs.

    If you think it might be a RAM issue, most manufacturers have a Diagnostics package you can download from their support sites that will create a bootable CD. Boot to the CD and it'll run through and test your hardware for issues. That should help rule out the RAM if that's the problem.
    Strange as it sounds, it might have been an Adobe update. Something came up about 40 minutes ago for another Adobe update (or maybe the same one). I installed it, and haven't had any trouble so far.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 231,800, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,022
    Points
    231,800
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,630
    Given: 899

    Re: System Crashes

    Mine was doing the same thing. Had to update a driver and now it works fine. *knock on wood*


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM