Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

EVO 3D

anyone planning on getting the EVO 3D? i don't really imagine i will use the 3D camera much, but i am finally done with my 2 years with At&t and ready to move on. Any other new phones coming out soon that you would recommend?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: EVO 3D

Quote Originally Posted by kcclones View Post
    anyone planning on getting the EVO 3D? i don't really imagine i will use the 3D camera much, but i am finally done with my 2 years with At&t and ready to move on. Any other new phones coming out soon that you would recommend?
    Current Sprint customer here. I'm leaning towards upgrading to the EVO 3D, but I think I'm going to wait to see Sprint's pricing for the Motorola Photon before I decide. People are speculating the Photon will come out in late July.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

Prospect
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm thinking about it, I've got the Evo 4g now and love it to death but am due an upgrade in August. I don't really see myself getting it for the 3D but the upgraded hardware will probably worth it. Since I'm not due until August I'm going to see if it will be easily rootable or not (HTC is supposedly locking the bootloader). Just something to think about if you're considering rooting your phone.

Rookie
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i got the Evo 4g last year, and was due for an upgrade in June. i was really looking at getting the Evo 3D, but not for the 3D camera. i question if the better processor will actually be used for 99% of what the phone really does, if the extra battery life is going to translate into longer up-time (Evo 4g does not have great battery life) or if it's to support the dual-core and 3D camera, and i also recently rooted my Evo 4g to get rid of Sense/all the crap Sprint puts on it and i loved it....so I traded in my Evo 4g for the Nexus s 4G and really like it so far. Signal strength is bad but i havent dropped a call yet, battery life is much better it seems, overall its seems snappier than the Evo 4g (have mostly same apps on it), and i really like the form factor - just feels more like a phone and less like a mini-tablet. if the 3D turns out to be the bees knees, i may trade in for it within 30 days, but right now i don't plan to.

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ccruzen View Post
    I'm thinking about it, I've got the Evo 4g now and love it to death but am due an upgrade in August. I don't really see myself getting it for the 3D but the upgraded hardware will probably worth it. Since I'm not due until August I'm going to see if it will be easily rootable or not (HTC is supposedly locking the bootloader). Just something to think about if you're considering rooting your phone.
    It's really easy to get an early upgrade...
    Absolutely fantastic customer service from Sprint! - xda-developers

Also fairly easy to get an account credit...
    $40-$70 credit on top of the upgrade!!! - xda-developers

Gotta love Sprint! I ordered one 3d for a family member, and assuming it's a hit, will probably order 5 more

Addict
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

I can't find the link I was reading yesterday, but there was a comparison done with the evo 4g and the evo 3d. Start time on the evo was like 72 seconds compared to 17 on the 3d. Opengl 3d benchmark on the evo was around 4 or 7 fps and the evo 3d scored somewhere around 30 fps. I have the EVO 3D preordered at the sprint store for the $50 they are charging me with the trade in of the EVO it is a no brainier. Specially since my EVO has been acting up since I I downloaded the new version of android.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    i got the Evo 4g last year, and was due for an upgrade in June. i was really looking at getting the Evo 3D, but not for the 3D camera. i question if the better processor will actually be used for 99% of what the phone really does, if the extra battery life is going to translate into longer up-time (Evo 4g does not have great battery life) or if it's to support the dual-core and 3D camera, and i also recently rooted my Evo 4g to get rid of Sense/all the crap Sprint puts on it and i loved it....so I traded in my Evo 4g for the Nexus s 4G and really like it so far. Signal strength is bad but i havent dropped a call yet, battery life is much better it seems, overall its seems snappier than the Evo 4g (have mostly same apps on it), and i really like the form factor - just feels more like a phone and less like a mini-tablet. if the 3D turns out to be the bees knees, i may trade in for it within 30 days, but right now i don't plan to.
    How are you judging the signal strength on the Nexus? Unless you are using some sort of application or accessing service menus on the phone, it is really impossible to compare the signal of two different phones. The number of bars that appear on your screen is just part of the UI created by the manufacturer. While there are specifications provided to them by the carrier, there is some play in the standards, they aren't black and white. As such, they can stretch the limits for what they display for signal. 4 bars on phone A does not necessarily mean that you have better signal than 2 or 3 bars on phone B. They can do the same thing with the battery life indicator.

I switched from a Palm device to the Epic 4G (very similar hardware to the Nexus), and I also noticed that while I consistently had fewer bars than I had on my Palm, I never noticed a decrease in call quality or an increase in drops. I have a feeling this is a big part of that.

As for rooting, even if it isn't easy to root, Sense is just a GUI that HTC places on top of Android. You can replace this with a third party launcher or just reset the default launcher to stock Android without rooting. And while you can't uninstall the Sprint software, the launcher I use (launcherpro) does allow you to hide applications in your app drawer so that you wouldn't even know they are there.

Rookie
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    How are you judging the signal strength on the Nexus? Unless you are using some sort of application or accessing service menus on the phone, it is really impossible to compare the signal of two different phones. The number of bars that appear on your screen is just part of the UI created by the manufacturer. While there are specifications provided to them by the carrier, there is some play in the standards, they aren't black and white. As such, they can stretch the limits for what they display for signal. 4 bars on phone A does not necessarily mean that you have better signal than 2 or 3 bars on phone B. They can do the same thing with the battery life indicator.

I switched from a Palm device to the Epic 4G (very similar hardware to the Nexus), and I also noticed that while I consistently had fewer bars than I had on my Palm, I never noticed a decrease in call quality or an increase in drops. I have a feeling this is a big part of that.

As for rooting, even if it isn't easy to root, Sense is just a GUI that HTC places on top of Android. You can replace this with a third party launcher or just reset the default launcher to stock Android without rooting. And while you can't uninstall the Sprint software, the launcher I use (launcherpro) does allow you to hide applications in your app drawer so that you wouldn't even know they are there.
    I'm judging signal strength by the fact that my phone says i'm roaming, in places where my personal evo 4g and work verizon blackberry are never on roaming - including my own home. that and wifi connectivity at my home drops often, which also didnt happen with my evo 4g. Calls haven't dropped, but my perception is that the connectivity isnt as strong as the evo 4g. i hope this might be fixed with an OTA.
    Rooting is fairly easy, and i did it on the evo 4g. i like stock android so much that decided it was better to just buy a phone that has it out of the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post

It is a Samsung phone and in my experience with Samsung and Sprint and verizon is that Samsung phones drop the most calls and get the worst signal. It would not be out of the realm of possibility that is still happening with their phones.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 7

Sprint HTC Evo 3D bloatware can be uninstalled without rooting » Unwired View

Looks like they decided to allow users to uninstall bloatware on the Evo 3D without rooting the phone. That would really be a great feature to have. I hope this starts a new trend for phone manufacturers going forward.