Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 14

Movie theater etiquette -- theater employee perspective?

I took my family to see Rio at the North Grand 5 this weekend. I want to know from a theater employee what the etiquette is when something's clearly wrong with the picture.

In this case, Rio is in 3d. The 3d was fine, but there was some type of vertical alighment problem. It was very noticable on any wording -- as an example -- a lowercase i looked like it had 2 fuzzy dots instead of 1 solid dot.

Another time I watched a movie and it was so out of focus that I actually went looking for an employee to complain to. I didn't find one, so I went back in and watched from about 3 times farther back than I normally do so it wasn't as horrible.

Do the employees in the projector room not pay attention (there's NO way the out of focus on the 2nd one I described wouldn't be obvious)? Can picture quality issues be fixed during a movie? Would I just be viewed as a complainer if I mentioned something? What's the proper etiquette?

PS -- There should be a way to text a theater if there are issues (I don't want to leave the movie).

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,059
    Given: 558

Re: Movie theater etiquette -- theater employee perspective?

I've been to some that had a crappy picture or problem, but they adjusted it out not too far into the movie. If they hadn't, we would have went and found someone.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by TedKumsher View Post
    I took my family to see Rio at the North Grand 5 this weekend. I want to know from a theater employee what the etiquette is when something's clearly wrong with the picture.

In this case, Rio is in 3d. The 3d was fine, but there was some type of vertical alighment problem. It was very noticable on any wording -- as an example -- a lowercase i looked like it had 2 fuzzy dots instead of 1 solid dot.

Another time I watched a movie and it was so out of focus that I actually went looking for an employee to complain to. I didn't find one, so I went back in and watched from about 3 times farther back than I normally do so it wasn't as horrible.

Do the employees in the projector room not pay attention (there's NO way the out of focus on the 2nd one I described wouldn't be obvious)? Can picture quality issues be fixed during a movie? Would I just be viewed as a complainer if I mentioned something? What's the proper etiquette?

PS -- There should be a way to text a theater if there are issues (I don't want to leave the movie).
    No, you would be a concerned customer. They're not showing you a movie out of the goodness of their hearts. You're paying for a product, and you're expecting something quite reasonable (being able to, you know, actually see the movie). While 3D movies may not be for everybody, and while movies could be out of focus if you're a geezer who needs to squint through quadfocals, it shouldn't be wrong to ask the theater if something's wrong with the picture.

Even though I'm not a theater employee, I had friends who worked all sorts of jobs at the theater near my school. Really, if you're not loud and disruptive, you can just get up, go out to the lobby and find the nearest employee. You may have to walk to the ticket area/concessions sometimes, as theater employees who normally are in the halls mysteriously disappear at times. TBH, if at all possible, try to find the most senior looking person in the area (sometimes in a suit). A manager would likely want to fix the situation, and you may even get a free movie or something out of it, if the issue isn't fixed quickly or efficiently.

Also, as cyclonepride said it sometimes corrects itself, so patience first (mostly because you don't want to miss the movie running around the theater).

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

when i worked at a movie theater in high school occasionally the lens would get out of focus and we would have people come ask us to fix it and it would be fixed in a matter of minutes. we only showed 2d movies so i dont know if that makes a difference or not. id say its lack of customer support on the part of the theater and not a fault of your own

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

You did go to North Grand 5, you get what you pay for.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

Since this post is titled movie etiquette, I'm going to post here a complaint I have that has nothing to do with the original.

People on their cell phones texting in theaters. DON'T! It's very distracting. I went to a movie this weekend and sat behind a group of about eight people. Two of them were texting all during the movie. You're in a darkened movie theater and suddenly a light pops on in front of you. Then another light pops on. It draws your attention away from the movie screen. I swear, the one girl in front of me spent more time texting and browsing the internet that she did watching the movie. Can't you put your phone down for two stinking hours?

Also, I have complained before about low volume on the movie and bad focus. One time we sat in the theater for half an hour and there was nothing on the screen, not even those trivia questions or commercials. I finally went and found someone because we had gone past the start time of the movie and still nothing was on the screen. They started it right up. I've come to believe that those cameras at modern theaters are all automated and on a timer and no one monitors them like they did in the old days. I don't know if that's right, but that's what it seems like.

Last edited by Bipolarcy; 06-20-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 26

I have been to a lot movies and I think you have every right to complain when you don't think something is right especially with the price of movies. I know when i was watching the last Lord of the Rings they kept the lights on for the first couple of minutes. After someone ran to get someone from the theater, they shut the movie off and didn't turn the movie back on until the lights were off. There was something apparently wrong with the light switches because it took 5 minutes. I didn't think the movie was ruined, but I think they handled the problem appropriately.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 14

Thanks so far -- and a few points:

1) I know it's a product I pay for and have the right to expect proper overall quality (picture, sound, lights, etc.).

2) I know it's North Grand 5 (a "dollar theater" for those who don't know -- but the other time wasn't a dollar theater), and I expect old movies on older equipment (but RealD 3d isn't very old).

I also have been on the service side of the service industry, and some jobs will have a higher percentage of people who think they know everything and rudely let you know it. In particular -- I've run sound for 20 years. It's exceedingly rare that someone can either tell me something I don't already know or have an opinion that isn't obviously in the minority (I had someone tell me that anything over 65 db is unconscionable -- and they were almost whispering -- probably because they knew that a normal conversation is around 70 db). Or there's a system limitation that just can't be changed that they don't know about. While generally were well-meaning, they were still calling me incompetent. I guess I don't know if movie theaters deal with unreasonable stuff all the time, or if they generally welcome a heads-up.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 706

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    Since this post is titled movie etiquette, I'm going to post here a complaint I have that has nothing to do with the original.

People on their cell phones texting in theaters. DON'T! It's very distracting. I went to a movie this weekend and sat behind a group of about eight people. Two of them were texting all during the movie. You're in a darkened movie theater and suddenly a light pops on in front of you. Then another light pops on. It draws your attention away from the movie screen. I swear, the one girl in front of me spent more time texting and browsing the internet that she did watching the movie. Can't you put your phone down for two stinking hours?
    Some of you may have seen this but this seems appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVz-...layer_embedded

Some swearing that is bleeped out.

And a follow up explanation, not as funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkhc...embedded#at=19

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Maybe it was in 4D.