Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Iowa State at Baylor

I find next year's matchup between Iowa State and Baylor one of the more intriguing games on the schedule. Last season, I thought the two were similar in ability, and I would have liked to see those teams play each other. From a record perspective, the difference between Iowa State and Baylor was the much easier non-conference slate that Baylor played.

However, Baylor has more momentum going into this season. Robert Griffin III returns to be their savior, and they have some quality receivers returning. Also, their hiring of Phil Bennett to be defensive coordinator has the Bears excited about improvements on the other side of the ball, which are much needed.

On the other hand, Iowa State is entering Year 3 of the Rhoads era, and the only positions that I find remotely concerning are QB (although I think they'll be fine) and Safety (I have no idea what to expect here, but Benton changing position should work out), and maybe center at a distant third. In addition, the coaching staff has been stable, recruiting their guys and teaching their philosophies.

The big thing I see here is that Iowa State's approach has been more of a team effort. Look at the difference between the 2009 and the 2010 seasons at Baylor to see the effect that RGIII has on that team. On the other hand, while our team has leaders, such as Jake Knott and Darius Darks/Reynolds, there's no one guy on the roster who would be catastrophic to lose if they had to miss some games.

So I'm curious to see what you guys think of the matchup. How much better can Baylor's offense get? How big of an effect will Bennett have? How do we match up? How confident should we as fans be going into this game?

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,048
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Iowa State at Baylor

Good summary, but if a WR doesn't step up and prove that he can big plays, teams will stack the box and our offense will struggle. Money, Horne, Lenz, West... somebody needs to make an explosive play on (at least) a semi-regular basis.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Is the question if RGIII or Senaca? I would love to have a guy who can single handedly win you games...we don't.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 18

I have a bad feeling about the Baylor game.

Isn't it true that they return a very good receiving corps? I'd like to know (in detail ) how it is that RG3 won't light us up again.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post

Isn't it true that they return a very good receiving corps? I'd like to know (in detail ) how it is that RG3 won't light us up again.
    Baylor just throws bubble screens all day. Back in '08, we couldn't stop them (bubble screens) AT ALL, regardless of opponent. Rhoads/Burnham have taught our guys how to do it, and they've really improved. This helps our match up with Baylor.

RGIII is a great scrambler as we all know, but again Rhoads/Burnham know how to shut down the run first/pass second type players (see WVU's 2 losses in 2007). Baylor's general style will be to throw at our corners more than our safeties, and our corners are solid to very good. Also, we have LBs who excel in pass coverage and should be able to help against the slant.

Defensively, Baylor sucks. They ended last season on a major skid. Their beast defensive effort in their last 4 games was 38 points to Illinois. Even in a some of their wins (and in all 6 losses) they got lit up like a Christmas Tree. They had about 5 of our Utah/OU type games.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 524

"Next year"? What's wrong with this year's game???

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    "Next year"? What's wrong with this year's game???
    I am assuming it is this years game...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

RGIII is avg at best and Baylor has zero atmosphere at their stadium so I expect to win this game by around 10pts.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    RGIII is avg at best and Baylor has zero atmosphere at their stadium so I expect to win this game by around 10pts.
    RGIII has proven himself, he is far beyond average. Baylor with him are a top 25 team without him they are bottom of the league. I think that says enough look at the year he went out injured.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Iowa State normally fails to show up for games at Baylor --- in every sport. The 2008 football performance down there was an insult to all Cyclone fans, alive and dead. Could have been 80-0 had Baylor wanted it to be. Baylor with Griffin is a much different team than without. Does ISU beat Baylor last year if Griffin is playing? Probably not. This one is an L on my season projection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 188

We @ ISU have never been a good road team even in the majors/bruce eras so I see no way we win in waco tx this year...

Bold Prediction....baylor wins by two touchdowns aka 12 points....

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Wait, what? RGIII was the QB in '08 wasn't he?

The way I see it we need wins @ BU, TTU and KSU to get to a bowl this year and frankly Griffin scares the buhjeebers outta me.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Rookie
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Baylor just throws bubble screens all day. Back in '08, we couldn't stop them (bubble screens) AT ALL, regardless of opponent. Rhoads/Burnham have taught our guys how to do it, and they've really improved. This helps our match up with Baylor.
    The bubble screens are a constraint play, the main offense is a shotgun based veer run game.
    RGIII is a great scrambler as we all know, but again Rhoads/Burnham know how to shut down the run first/pass second type players (see WVU's 2 losses in 2007). Baylor's general style will be to throw at our corners more than our safeties, and our corners are solid to very good. Also, we have LBs who excel in pass coverage and should be able to help against the slant.
    You are greatly underestimating RG3 if you assume he is the craptacular passer that Brad Smith was and just some raw athlete. Our offense threw it as well or better than yours did in our common foe games (Tech, OU, KSU, KU, Texas, CU) and ran it much better (1.5 per carry more than isu, 2 without sacks). ISU completed 59% and BU completed 70%. BU scored 14 more points per game and 200 more yards vs those 5 teams. If RG3 is such a bad passer then ISU is not in a good setup either after losing AA.
    Defensively, Baylor sucks. They ended last season on a major skid. Their beast defensive effort in their last 4 games was 38 points to Illinois. Even in a some of their wins (and in all 6 losses) they got lit up like a Christmas Tree. They had about 5 of our Utah/OU type games.
    Which is why we hired new D Coordinator Phil Bennett. Hopefully he helps things a lot, he should make at least some positive impact though immediately.

Also your defense is also a work in progress. Averaging our common foes we had almost identical yards, completion percentage, yards per play, per attempt, per completion, and we actually had better yards per carry allowed with and without sacks.

I am also looking forward to the game and hopefully both our squads take advantage of opportunities on their schedule for big wins early on. I like Rhoads and what he has done with your program.

Rookie
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post

WR is one of our strongest areas. Top 5 guys are all back and almost all of them have made explosive plays. Issue will be the D but our offense (assuming no real injury) should be good to go.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy11 View Post
    The bubble screens are a constraint play, the main offense is a shotgun based veer run game.

You are greatly underestimating RG3 if you assume he is the craptacular passer that Brad Smith was and just some raw athlete. Our offense threw it as well or better than yours did in our common foe games (Tech, OU, KSU, KU, Texas, CU) and ran it much better (1.5 per carry more than isu, 2 without sacks). ISU completed 59% and BU completed 70%. BU scored 14 more points per game and 200 more yards vs those 5 teams. If RG3 is such a bad passer then ISU is not in a good setup either after losing AA.

Which is why we hired new D Coordinator Phil Bennett. Hopefully he helps things a lot, he should make at least some positive impact though immediately.

Also your defense is also a work in progress. Averaging our common foes we had almost identical yards, completion percentage, yards per play, per attempt, per completion, and we actually had better yards per carry allowed with and without sacks.

I am also looking forward to the game and hopefully both our squads take advantage of opportunities on their schedule for big wins early on. I like Rhoads and what he has done with your program.
    I never said RGIII was a bad passer. I said he runs a limited set of plays. I've obviously watched a lot less Baylor football than you have, but when I've watched, he's just chucking screens and slants. The only time I've seen him throw downfield was against us in 2008 (and he did a fine job, but a ******** 12 year old could have shredded that defense). My assumption is that based on Baylor's not going deep on a regular basis, that Griffin isn't that good at going deep. Griffin is a good player, but in 2008 I thought he was going to be one of the best players I'd ever seen. He did not look that phenomenal (solid, but not incredible) last year.

Our defense returns a ton of guys. We may have done similar on yardage allowed, but I'd be willing to bet we let up less points, which is all that matters defensively. Your defense got abused last year (albeit by some good teams) more frequently than ours did. We'll see if your new coordinator helps (very well may).

I think Baylor will be favored, but its a game ISU can (not the same as should) win. Think you guys will crack 35,000 for attendance on this one?

Last edited by Al_4_State; 06-15-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.