Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,022
    Given: 247

My thoughts on Hoiberg's comments on PG position

This will be in my roundup that I post later today along with a ton of other basketball stuff. But I have meetings at 9 and 10 and won't be able to post it until later. This hasn't been edited yet so heads up.

HOIBERG ON THE PG POSITION: Let's play a game today fanatics. What's the over/under on how many times Fred Hoiberg will be asked about his point guard situation between now and tipping off the season this fall? Of course, that question was dropped yesterday. Here's how Hoiberg responded, with my thoughts mixed in as well.

"We have Tyrus McGee coming in who played last year for Cowley Community College in Arkansas City, Kan. He is a great shooter. He made 119 3-pointers in 31 games last year. He is a tough kid who I really think can guard the point guard spot and create some havoc on that end of the court. It is going to be interesting to see how his game translates to the next level. He was a first team All-American junior college player. I think that he has the toughness to play that position. From talking to his coach and watching him play last year, he has tremendous leadership ability as well. I see him coming in and making an immediate impact at that position."

My take: This is my early pick to start the first game of the season at "point guard" for Iowa State. I use the term loosely too. I think that multiple players will handle the basketball for the 2011-12 Cyclones. More on that in a minute....

"Another player who has just taken off this spring is a freshman, Tavon Sledge. He has had an unbelievable spring, playing in different all-star and AAU events. He has a chance to come in here and compete for that spot as well. He is only about 5-foot-9 but he is as fast with the ball as anybody I have seen. The way that we play where we really want to get the ball up and down the floor, we have shooters who will run the lanes this year with Chris Allen, Scott Christopherson and Chris Babb. Tyrus McGee will play some 2. His ability to get the ball up and down the floor will really fit our system."

My take: This comment somewhat surprised me. I knew that the coaches were high on Sledge, but I never envisioned him starting for Iowa State next season. However, I do predict that he'll be the biggest fan favorite on the roster for the next four seasons. You'll love this kid fanatics. Just wait until you hear him in an interview with Eric Heft. He's a very well-spoken, confident young man. I still think that Sledge starting is a long shot, but what do I know? I'm just a hack blogger right?

"I think that Chris Allen is a guy who we can put the ball in his hands. He played that role with the scout team last year. which was the year he sat out. I would be very comfortable with him bringing the ball up the floor."

My take: DING DING DING DING DING.

While I think that McGee might be the "starter" at "point guard," I also predict that Chris Allen will handle the ball more than anybody next season. Just a hunch...
    "The other guy is Royce White. He is a terrific ball handler for his size. You can play some unique lineups with the personnel that well have this year. Im not afraid to play a little different. You have your forward bring the ball up the floor and just run some different sets with that."

My take: WHAT? Really? Okay......The Mayor would know....Hmmm....Royce White bringing the ball up the floor? Huh? Daddy likes....Time for a follow up interview....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 139

Re: My thoughts on Hoiberg's comments on PG position

My take: WHAT? Really? Okay......The Mayor would know....Hmmm....Royce White bringing the ball up the floor? Huh? Daddy likes....Time for a follow up interview....
    This made me laugh.

Legend
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 712

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    "The other guy is Royce White. He is a terrific ball handler for his size. You can play some unique lineups with the personnel that we’ll have this year. I’m not afraid to play a little different. You have your forward bring the ball up the floor and just run some different sets with that."

You did notice the quote when Royce said that he wanted to lead the nation...in assists, right?

Then, an interesting quote on Sledge:
    He is only about 5-foot-9 but he is as fast with the ball as anybody I have seen. The way that we play where we really
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa here! "As fast with the ball as anyone I have seen"? Seriously, Fred, in what context? "...as anybosy I have seen...among high school seniors this year"? "...among all hiigh school players I've looked at since I became a head coach"? "...among all amateurs I've seen and played with/against"? Or, "...as anyone I have seen...in my high school, college, pro, and coaching career"?

I'd really like to know. Of course, one of the "fastest guys with the ball" that I have ever seen was former Hawkeye Brian Garner--but he couldn't do anything with it while he had it, either.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Addict
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 57

Probably the fastest guy I've seen with the ball is Tyron Lue from Nebraska. That guy could just fly down the court.

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,192
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 0

Tim Barnes may have been the fastest with the ball in recent years at ISU.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    This will be in my roundup that I post later today along with a ton of other basketball stuff. But I have meetings at 9 and 10 and won't be able to post it until later. This hasn't been edited yet so heads up.

HOIBERG ON THE PG POSITION: Let's play a game today fanatics. What's the over/under on how many times Fred Hoiberg will be asked about his point guard situation between now and tipping off the season this fall? Of course, that question was dropped yesterday. Here's how Hoiberg responded, with my thoughts mixed in as well.

"We have Tyrus McGee coming in who played last year for Cowley Community College in Arkansas City, Kan. He is a great shooter. He made 119 3-pointers in 31 games last year. He is a tough kid who I really think can guard the point guard spot and create some havoc on that end of the court. It is going to be interesting to see how his game translates to the next level. He was a first team All-American junior college player. I think that he has the toughness to play that position. From talking to his coach and watching him play last year, he has tremendous leadership ability as well. I see him coming in and making an immediate impact at that position."

My take: This is my early pick to start the first game of the season at "point guard" for Iowa State. I use the term loosely too. I think that multiple players will handle the basketball for the 2011-12 Cyclones. More on that in a minute....

"Another player who has just taken off this spring is a freshman, Tavon Sledge. He has had an unbelievable spring, playing in different all-star and AAU events. He has a chance to come in here and compete for that spot as well. He is only about 5-foot-9 but he is as fast with the ball as anybody I have seen. The way that we play where we really want to get the ball up and down the floor, we have shooters who will run the lanes this year with Chris Allen, Scott Christopherson and Chris Babb. Tyrus McGee will play some 2. His ability to get the ball up and down the floor will really fit our system."

My take: This comment somewhat surprised me. I knew that the coaches were high on Sledge, but I never envisioned him starting for Iowa State next season. However, I do predict that he'll be the biggest fan favorite on the roster for the next four seasons. You'll love this kid fanatics. Just wait until you hear him in an interview with Eric Heft. He's a very well-spoken, confident young man. I still think that Sledge starting is a long shot, but what do I know? I'm just a hack blogger right?

"I think that Chris Allen is a guy who we can put the ball in his hands. He played that role with the scout team last year. which was the year he sat out. I would be very comfortable with him bringing the ball up the floor."

My take: DING DING DING DING DING.

While I think that McGee might be the "starter" at "point guard," I also predict that Chris Allen will handle the ball more than anybody next season. Just a hunch...
    "The other guy is Royce White. He is a terrific ball handler for his size. You can play some unique lineups with the personnel that well have this year. Im not afraid to play a little different. You have your forward bring the ball up the floor and just run some different sets with that."

Big opportunities and mismatches could occur with RW bringing the ball up the court. CFH is definately tapping his NBA experience here. This could be huge for future recruiting!

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 368

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Probably the fastest guy I've seen with the ball is Tyron Lue from Nebraska. That guy could just fly down the court.
    Fastest guy I've seen play college ball - Dee Brown from Illinois. That dude was ultra-quick, could dribble the ball and outrun the entire other team who was simply chasing him.

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

This has been the Mayor's standard answer for pretty much 5 months now. I asked him that same question last winter on his call in show. I think they really want/expect mcgee to be the guy, calls Sledge the pure point and mentions that Allen can play some there if needed.

IMO, Allen at the point is like Fred saying Diante would play off the ball some when asked a year ago.

Fred has said McGee reminds him of Ron Bayless. I really liked that Fred mentioned his defense and toughness. Couple that with what Fred has said about more focus on defense during this off season and maybe this program will have a different mindset this year.

Royce at point forward will mimic some of the NBA sets you see with certain teams like Lebron or TRacy McGrady.

It will be interesting to see next year's team for sure. I'm not sure we really know how Fred wants to play, his roster limited him last year, this year not so much.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 108

Fastest player i have ever seen with the ball in his hands was the Fox kid from Wisconsin.. If i remember right, he was about the same size as sledge. I think he came in off the bench and lit it up, always diving for balls and his defense was just incredible, i could see sledge being like that type of player this year, but if he is good enough to start i trust CFH

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    Fred has said McGee reminds him of Ron Bayless. I really liked that Fred mentioned his defense and toughness.
    When Bayless was here with Thigpen, both guys were combo guards, neither was a pure PG. I anticipate that with next season's team if McGee and Allen start in the backcourt.

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    When Bayless was here with Thigpen, both guys were combo guards, neither was a pure PG. I anticipate that with next season's team if McGee and Allen start in the backcourt.
    yup, good point

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    I don't remember what Bayless's FT% was, but the guy always seemed to hit the big one when it matter. He was clutch in big moments. Bayless did most of the ball handling. He was a pretty good defender too. Thigpen always wanted to spot up for three, or get the ball on the wing to get to the hole...but not the guy I wanted with the ball in his hands creating for others. Thigpen was always thinking score first when he touched the ball...that was his role.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 650
    Given: 548

Bayless shot over 90% FT IIRC. He was a GREAT defender.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 359
    Given: 68

With two guys on the court at any given time that can handle well (McGee/Allen, McGee/Sledge, Allen/Sledge) along with White who can handle the rock, we shouldn't have huge problems getting the ball up the court and distributing.

We certainly won't have a problem scoring with the firepower that we'll have....Allen, McGee, Scotty and Babb can all bomb, plus Royce, Ejim and Booker down low can score.

The only question will be whether we can rebound and defend. I think with the athletes and rotation that we're looking at, the answer will be yes. If we can do those two things, we'll be able to get out and run as Fred wishes.

Most teams will have a hard time keeping up with us offensively if we can defend/rebound.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I might be drinking that Cardinal and Gold Kool-Aid, but I'm having troubles seeing Iowa State not being at least a significant factor in the Big XII Championship race, particularly with the down year that seems to be looming.