Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Ribeye

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 75,954, Level: 85
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,767
    Points
    75,954
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 32

    Ribeye

    Trying to settle an argument here... Where is the ribeye steak cut from? I always thought it was the smaller sdie of the T-bone. Yet my mother insists that it is the other, larger, side- i've always believed to be the new york strip.

    I looked online quite a few places and couldnt even find a good answer. Some of the answers we found said we were totally wrong all together (which i suppose is possible lol)

    One site said all ribeye steaks are just rib meat without the bone. I suppose thats what we've decided on thus far...



  2. #2
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 605,915, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,602
    Points
    605,915
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,502
    Given: 139

    Re: Ribeye

    I don't think that a ribeye is a part of a T-bone at all.

    The New York strip definitely is a part of it, but the ribeye comes from further up the spine than the T-bone.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 560,575, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,447
    Points
    560,575
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 139

    Re: Ribeye

    T-bone is NY Strip (large side) and Filet (small side)

    Porter is T-Bone with specific size of Filet and thickness.




  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 75,954, Level: 85
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,767
    Points
    75,954
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 32

    Re: Ribeye

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I don't think that a ribeye is a part of a T-bone at all.

    The New York strip definitely is a part of it, but the ribeye comes from further up the spine than the T-bone.
    do you know what the (typically) smaller, tender side of the T-bone is called?



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 560,575, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,447
    Points
    560,575
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 139

    Re: Ribeye





  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 361,659, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,224
    Points
    361,659
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 73

    Re: Ribeye

    Cut from the rib. Usually somewhere from 6th to 12th rib. A T-bone is cut from right behind where a ribeye would be cut from, what they call the short loin. A T-bone has the fillet and strip steak within it.


    It's all snark from here on out

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 334,950, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    9,422
    Points
    334,950
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,981
    Given: 495

    Re: Ribeye

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Trying to settle an argument here... Where is the ribeye steak cut from? I always thought it was the smaller sdie of the T-bone. Yet my mother insists that it is the other, larger, side- i've always believed to be the new york strip.

    I looked online quite a few places and couldnt even find a good answer. Some of the answers we found said we were totally wrong all together (which i suppose is possible lol)

    One site said all ribeye steaks are just rib meat without the bone. I suppose thats what we've decided on thus far...
    T-Bone doesn't have the ribeye on it. Big side is NY Strip, small side is Filet (or Filet Mignon). T-bone comes from the loin primal (lower back), Ribeye is, however, a steak cut from the rib primal (well, the ribs). Ribeye is pretty much a prime rib steak. Prime rib, in true form is just a "prime" graded rib roast. You can get prime rib bone in or not...generally a ribeye is boneless, but I've seen "cowboy ribeyes" with bone in.

    When in doubt, refer to Alton Brown's beef map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good eats beef map.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	9398  



  8. #8
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 605,915, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,602
    Points
    605,915
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,502
    Given: 139

    Re: Ribeye

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    T-Bone doesn't have the ribeye on it. Big side is NY Strip, small side is Filet (or Filet Mignon). T-bone comes from the loin primal (lower back), Ribeye is, however, a steak cut from the rib primal (well, the ribs). Ribeye is pretty much a prime rib steak. Prime rib, in true form is just a "prime" graded rib roast. You can get prime rib bone in or not...generally a ribeye is boneless, but I've seen "cowboy ribeyes" with bone in.

    When in doubt, refer to Alton Brown's beef map:
    That guy is good with visual aids.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 334,950, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    9,422
    Points
    334,950
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,981
    Given: 495

    Re: Ribeye

    Wow, started replying 'cause no one had, finished, and I was the 7th reply. Looks like CF community would do good on Letterman's old "know your cuts of meat".



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 113,698, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,396
    Points
    113,698
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 168

    Re: Ribeye

    Ribeyes come from Heaven for us all to enjoy. The tastiness of that cut is far superior to any other.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 52,780, Level: 71
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,270
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,811
    Points
    52,780
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 263

    Re: Ribeye

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    Ribeyes come from Heaven for us all to enjoy. The tastiness of that cut is far superior to any other.
    I second that emotion.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 39,005, Level: 60
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    AllBig12Drinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    705
    Points
    39,005
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 14

    Re: Ribeye

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Cut from the rib. Usually somewhere from 6th to 12th rib. A T-bone is cut from right behind where a ribeye would be cut from, what they call the short loin. A T-bone has the fillet and strip steak within it.
    Looks like someone else took Meats 252.

    I believe the filet is the psaos major and the strip is part of the longissumus muscle.

    The ribeye is also cut from the longissumus muscle.

    And agreed, ribeyes are from heaven. My favorite cut of beef and it's not even close.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 53,730, Level: 71
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    2,541
    Points
    53,730
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 4

    Re: Ribeye

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    Ribeyes come from Heaven for us all to enjoy. The tastiness of that cut is far superior to any other.
    Here, here. Doesn't get better than a cowboy ribeye on a charcoal grill.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 30,483, Level: 53
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tube1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,020
    Points
    30,483
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 14

    Re: Ribeye

    I can get a good look at a ribeye by putting my head up a cow's ***, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.


    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 361,659, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,224
    Points
    361,659
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 73

    Re: Ribeye

    Quote Originally Posted by AllBig12Drinker View Post
    Looks like someone else took Meats 252.

    I believe the filet is the psaos major and the strip is part of the longissumus muscle.

    The ribeye is also cut from the longissumus muscle.

    And agreed, ribeyes are from heaven. My favorite cut of beef and it's not even close.
    I'm a T bone guy, but I'll eat a Ribeye at chain steak houses or bar and grill type places unless they are known for something else. In my experience, Ribeyes are a lot easier to predict what you will get.


    It's all snark from here on out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM