One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 813,279, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,752
    Points
    813,279
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,268
    Given: 329

    One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited


  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 35,708, Level: 58
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,533
    Points
    35,708
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 0

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Good old Chip Brown...I was wondering what he had been up too. The guy was the Mick Jagger of the sports media world last summer, a rock star. His name was eveywhere


    ABC - Always Be Closing

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 40,768, Level: 62
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    3GenClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights
    Posts
    2,203
    Points
    40,768
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 243

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    That article was a great read, if you could read around Chip patting himself on the back...


    ESPN would later make an out-of-this-world investment in Texas in the form of a 20-year, $300 million bankrolling of the Longhorn Network. Dodds told me a year ago he thought it might bring in $3 million to $5 million per year. Now, that figure is $15 million per year.

    Is that $15 million per year figure just news to me? I didn't know the Longhorn Network would be worth anywhere near that amount. Have any cable/satellite companies announced if/how they will carry the Longhorn Network?



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 73,765, Level: 84
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ItsCyence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    3,361
    Points
    73,765
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 81

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    I hate to admit it. Last summer had some entertaining threads looking back.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 387,777, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24,023
    Points
    387,777
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 779
    Given: 626

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    This whole bit still ticks me off. What a terrible attitude to take towards your B12 "friends" Extremely comical how ballsy he was and how little power they actually had.


    2. That was followed by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon, an MU grad, talking to The Associated Press in December of 2009 and all but saying the Tigers should bolt the Big 12. These were his words:

    "I'm not going to say anything bad about the Big 12, but when you compare Oklahoma State to Northwestern, when you compare Texas Tech to Wisconsin, I mean, you begin looking at educational possibilities that are worth looking at," Nixon told the AP.

    "If a significant conference with a long history of academic and athletic excellence talks about you joining them, you shouldn't just say, 'We're from the old Big 8 and I remember when' ... If they want to talk, we should talk, and we should listen."

    Sources would tell me these words were like an earthquake sending tremors across the league because every Big 12 administrator now had to worry about realignment in the conference.

    As the Big 12 Missile Crisis began to unfold amidst utter uncertainty, a top administrator from a Big 12 school told me, "If there was a vote right now among the Big 12 schools to kick out Missouri, it would be successful."



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 468,102, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,320
    Points
    468,102
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 154

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    This whole bit still ticks me off. What a terrible attitude to take towards your B12 "friends" Extremely comical how ballsy he was and how little power they actually had.


    2. That was followed by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon, an MU grad, talking to The Associated Press in December of 2009 and all but saying the Tigers should bolt the Big 12. These were his words:

    "I'm not going to say anything bad about the Big 12, but when you compare Oklahoma State to Northwestern, when you compare Texas Tech to Wisconsin, I mean, you begin looking at educational possibilities that are worth looking at," Nixon told the AP.

    "If a significant conference with a long history of academic and athletic excellence talks about you joining them, you shouldn't just say, 'We're from the old Big 8 and I remember when' ... If they want to talk, we should talk, and we should listen."

    Sources would tell me these words were like an earthquake sending tremors across the league because every Big 12 administrator now had to worry about realignment in the conference.

    As the Big 12 Missile Crisis began to unfold amidst utter uncertainty, a top administrator from a Big 12 school told me, "If there was a vote right now among the Big 12 schools to kick out Missouri, it would be successful."
    That cracked me up.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 29,724, Level: 52
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,341
    Points
    29,724
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsCYence View Post
    I hate to admit it. Last summer had some entertaining threads looking back.
    There are lot of sports talk radio hosts and bloggers, especially those in IA, with egg on their face from their ill-advised predictions on the demise of the B12 and ISU. Most of them had absolutely no clue what they were talking about.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 73,765, Level: 84
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ItsCyence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    3,361
    Points
    73,765
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 81

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    There are lot of sports talk radio hosts and bloggers, especially those in IA, with egg on their face from their ill-advised predictions on the demise of the B12 and ISU. Most of them had absolutely no clue what they were talking about.
    That made the day the Big 12 was saved even better. Everyone was like WOAH.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 35,594, Level: 58
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,522
    Points
    35,594
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    There are lot of sports talk radio hosts and bloggers, especially those in IA, with egg on their face from their ill-advised predictions on the demise of the B12 and ISU. Most of them had absolutely no clue what they were talking about.
    I know you are talking about one or two in particular, but to be fair, it had everyone in the nation guessing.



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 18,476, Level: 41
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sammy11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    404
    Points
    18,476
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    That cracked me up.
    Me too. They started the mess by not shutting up.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 25,630, Level: 49
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 920
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Trainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,453
    Points
    25,630
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    I laughed pretty hard at this

    8. A month after the Big 12 Missile Crisis, Dodds told Orangebloods.com he had asked Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott if the Pac-10 would pay for Texas' millions of dollars in exit fees from the Big 12.

    Scott told Dodds the Pac-10 would "loan" Texas the money.

    "We can loan ourselves the money," Dodds responded.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 35,594, Level: 58
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,522
    Points
    35,594
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Gotta love this last bit of fear mongering at the end of the article:

    In the end, the Big 12 Missile Crisis nearly changed the landscape of college athletics forever. Instead, it just gave everyone a glimpse into what the future could be ? and still might be ? one day.
    da...dum...daaaaaa




  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 155,076, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,680
    Points
    155,076
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 57

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    I know you are talking about one or two in particular, but to be fair, it had everyone in the nation guessing.
    Not everyone in the nation had a hard-on for ISU's "imminent demise" though, just Giggles and Wolfman Jack.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 95,205, Level: 96
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,845
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,727
    Points
    95,205
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 70

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    That article was a great read, if you could read around Chip patting himself on the back...





    Is that $15 million per year figure just news to me? I didn't know the Longhorn Network would be worth anywhere near that amount. Have any cable/satellite companies announced if/how they will carry the Longhorn Network?
    I personally still do not understand the reasoning for this. ESPN is going to pay UT $15M a year for a nonconference FB game, some MBB games and then non-revenue sports? Makes no sense to me. Either they are/were setting up to go independent (unlikely now) or it was basically a payment to keep the Big 12 together. Because you'd think that that network would lose money hand over fist...unless they think they can force Dallas and Houston to put the network on basic cable. I just don't see Longhorn sports outside of football having that big of a following.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 40,768, Level: 62
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    3GenClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights
    Posts
    2,203
    Points
    40,768
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 243

    Re: One Year Later: The Big 12 Missile Crisis revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I personally still do not understand the reasoning for this. ESPN is going to pay UT $15M a year for a nonconference FB game, some MBB games and then non-revenue sports? Makes no sense to me. Either they are/were setting up to go independent (unlikely now) or it was basically a payment to keep the Big 12 together. Because you'd think that that network would lose money hand over fist...unless they think they can force Dallas and Houston to put the network on basic cable. I just don't see Longhorn sports outside of football having that big of a following.
    For $15 million a year, I'm wondering if ESPN/ABC/Disney will strong-arm cable/satellite providers to carry it in the Big 12 media-market footprint, similar to how FOX pushed the Big 10 Network. That's the only way I could see enough advertising could come in to bankroll a network with limited programming and appeal.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM