Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 330
    Given: 265

O. T. - I Cry a Lot

Bush: I Cry A Lot

Sunday, September 2, 2007 5:23 PM

Article Font Size

"I’ve got God’s shoulder to cry on, and I cry a lot,” President Bush admits. “I’ll bet I’ve shed more tears than you can count as president.”
    Looking to the day he leaves the White House, President Bush says he'll concentrate on making speeches and running an institute that promotes democracy around the world. He also admitted that he cries "a lot" on God's shoulder.

Bush made the revelations to Robert Draper, for his book “Dead Certain,” which will be released on Tuesday.

According to the New York Times, Bush told Draper:

"I’ve got God’s shoulder to cry on, and I cry a lot. I’ll bet I’ve shed more tears than you can count as president" -- an implied reference to the casualties of the Iraq war.

“I’ll give some speeches, just to replenish the ol’ coffers [when I leave office]. I don’t know what my dad gets — it’s more than 50-75” thousand dollars a speech, and “Clinton’s making a lot of money.”

“We’ll have a nice place in Dallas,” where he will be running what he called “a fantastic Freedom Institute” promoting democracy around the world.

“I can just envision getting in the car, getting bored, going down to the ranch.”

“Sixty-two is really young, and yet I’ll be through with my presidency.”

“[Right now] I’m playing for October-November. ... To get us in a position [in Iraq] where the presidential candidates will be comfortable about sustaining a presence” and “stay longer.”

His top commander in Iraq, Gen. David H. Petraeus, would perhaps do a better job selling progress to the American people than he could.

That he doesn't govern by staff vote, rejecting a story that that's how then-Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's fate was decided.

Bush shared private thoughts that appeared to reflect a level of sorrow and presidential isolation that he strongly implied he took pains to hide, saying:

He likes to keep things “relatively light-hearted” around the White House.

“Self-pity is the worst thing that can happen to a presidency. This is a job where you can have a lot of self-pity.”

According to the Times, Bush agreed to speak candidly with Draper after six years of lobbying. Draper told Bush that he'd write about him as “a consequential president” for history, not for the latest news cycle. He told Bush that his book could provide “the raw material” for others after him.

President George H.W. Bush in 1982 was an honorary pallbearer at the funeral of Draper’s grandfather, Leon Jaworski, a special prosecutor in the Watergate scandal.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 303

Re: O. T. - I Cry a Lot

I'm torn on Bush. I think he is doing what he thinks is right but it's just not working. I would have a lot more support for him if he and the rest of the Republicans didn't spend money like drunken sailors. What's sad is that I don't think there are any candidates that will spend less, besides Ron Paul and it doesn't look like he has a chance.

Instead of focusing on spending we have to hear about gun control and abortion. I could less about either of these issues.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Yeah, that Constitution thing, and the guarantees of "Life, Liberties and the Pursuit of Happiness" can be such a pain, sometimes. Too bad they have to waste your time upholding them.

Seriously, I agree with you on spending issue.

Bush's biggest failure is not understanding that politics are important. And Bush has failed to a: provide a coherent strategy on Iraq, and b: sell it to the American people. the reason why the press has had such a hayday at Bush's expense is that Bush is unable to get inside the press and the opposition's OODA loop, like Reagan was able to.

Give me a slick politician who gets things done.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Slick guys like Clinton look good at the time. Look what he got us into.... the mortgage crisis is much a result of his attempt to get banks to find creative ways to home ownership, he dismantled our intelligence and ignored terrorism, do I need to go on?

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 338

I don't doubt his sincerity, I just haven't seen much resources put behind some of his ideas (besides Iraq).

@RandomGeoFacts

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Not a big Clinton fan, myself. More of a Reagan fan.

Reagan more or less ignored the laws he didn't like, but had the political moxie to get away with it. Bush lacks the political acumen to defend himself, his policies or his party from even the most ridiculous accusations. He is a poor politician and nearly everything he has ever set out to accomplish will not succeed because of that fact.

Again, I want a slick politician who can get things done. I'm trying to figure out what, exactly, Clinton ever accomplished, besides polish his own apple.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bush is clearly a man of conviction versus a poll driven politician.

I think he is right on Iraq and I think it is working. We haven't had a domestic terrorist attack since 9/11. Think about that...on 9/12/01 would you have thought 6 years later that there would have been zero attacks on US soil? And the situation in Iraq is improving for their citizens every day that they live in freedom from tyranny.

Frankly, the job of President is clearly a very stressful job...look at every person that has held the office recently and look at how much they age in their 4 or 8 years...it is incredible. Obviously, one of Bush's sources of coping is his faith and letting his emotions out with a good cry. Nothing wrong with that.

For those that think I am just a big "lackie" for Bush...I am not. I have been very disappointed in the expansion of the federal government under his watch. Not a very conservative approach and now we have the TSA, the Rx Drug bill, etc. that is further bloating the federal government.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 74

Bush may be a sincere man, but I honestly can't tell. The problem in our country is that you pretty much have to hitch yourself to a political machine (or make one of your own) in order to get elected to "important" offices. For Bush, hitching to the "right" machine was critical because of his aforementioned unpolished political skills.

Bush hooked up with Rove/DeLay to get elected governor of Texas, and then threw in Cheney and Ralphie Reed to get elected president. These guys played real dirty, and their manipulative, slanderous antics are well documented. It's hard for me to trust Bush's sincerity after he hitched himself to that bunch. Especially since he claims to be a Christian, and the garbage that Rove/DeLay pulled on a regular basis wasn't very Christian. I have a very hard time believing that Bush didn't know what these guys were up to.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 09-05-2007 at 09:21 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    And clearly has a cabinet that should have various convictions for crimes.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    And clearly has a cabinet that should have various convictions for crimes.
    What? Let's hear it if you have some specifics.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

Just a tongue in cheek response about the likes of Scooter, Alberto, "Brownie", Abramoff, and the gang.

I have one positive thing to say about Bush: My six year old wrote to him and got a big packet of propaganda back from him...made his day.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 76

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I'm torn on Bush. I think he is doing what he thinks is right but it's just not working. I would have a lot more support for him if he and the rest of the Republicans didn't spend money like drunken sailors. What's sad is that I don't think there are any candidates that will spend less, besides Ron Paul and it doesn't look like he has a chance.

Instead of focusing on spending we have to hear about gun control and abortion. I could less about either of these issues.
    This is almost exactly how I feel as well. Good post.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,251
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 27

Has anyone seen Lil' Bush on Comedy Central? I cry when I watch it...but that's from laughing too hard...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,078
    Given: 574

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post

I think he is right on Iraq and I think it is working. We haven't had a domestic terrorist attack since 9/11. Think about that...on 9/12/01 would you have thought 6 years later that there would have been zero attacks on US soil? And the situation in Iraq is improving for their citizens every day that they live in freedom from tyranny.

Frankly, the job of President is clearly a very stressful job...look at every person that has held the office recently and look at how much they age in their 4 or 8 years...it is incredible. Obviously, one of Bush's sources of coping is his faith and letting his emotions out with a good cry. Nothing wrong with that.

For those that think I am just a big "lackie" for Bush...I am not. I have been very disappointed in the expansion of the federal government under his watch. Not a very conservative approach and now we have the TSA, the Rx Drug bill, etc. that is further bloating the federal government.
    I pretty much agree with you line for line. Bush does not lack a strong, coherent strategy. He lacks the ability to make his strategy coherent to the American people. If we had a president with the convictions of Bush, with the public ability of Clinton........well, we'd have Reagan. But I digress.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneinmonaco View Post
    Slick guys like Clinton look good at the time. Look what he got us into.... the mortgage crisis is much a result of his attempt to get banks to find creative ways to home ownership, he dismantled our intelligence and ignored terrorism, do I need to go on?

I love it when people blame a president from the other party. It doesn't matter which side. Everything good that an opposing party's president does was "set up by my guy". Everything bad is the fault of your guy.

The last time I checked, there's not a lot a president can do with the consent of congress. War is the glaring exception to the rule. Once congress gives the go ahead, it's up to the Commander in Chief to make sound, logical decisions based upon FACTUAL information.

Clinton had his share of blunders; however, the only one that can remotely be compared to Bush, in terms of lives lost, was staying out of Rwanda. The total dead in Iraq is looming near the six figure mark.

"I felt like Buckner walking back into Shea" -- Mike from Rounders