Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 102

Blum: Above the Ink

What's up Fanatics? Here is the latest column I conjured up. Taking a look at the Ohio State/Tressel situation from a Cyclone angle. It can be quite frustrating.

Blum: Above the Ink

Twitter.com/brentblum

All-Star
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 145

Re: Blum: Above the Ink

I say implement a zero tolerance policy. If caught cheating or violating NCAA rules the next season is lost, period. No recruiting, no workouts, nothing. Recruits or players can leave without penalty, unless involved in said violations. They would also have to pay each school they would be playing the same amount as if there were a game. If this does not prove to be enough of a deterrent than there are much, much bigger problems out there.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by TruClone View Post
    I say implement a zero tolerance policy. If caught cheating or violating NCAA rules the next season is lost, period. No recruiting, no workouts, nothing. Recruits or players can leave without penalty, unless involved in said violations. They would also have to pay each school they would be playing the same amount as if there were a game. If this does not prove to be enough of a deterrent than there are much, much bigger problems out there.
    This, or something very similar. Until the NCAA grows a pair and takes a hunk out of their wallets, nothing will change. Your coach resigned? So what? You still get the hammer. I've heard numerous pundits say that the SMU-like death penalties are a thing of the past because it punishes their opponents, too, but that's what it will take.

Maybe to offset that risk, every school ought to contribute to a pot, FDIC-style, so if a tOSU gets the death penalty, their opponents get recompensated for their lost revenue. It's a flawed idea, but the system needs reformed, or just drop the pretense of being associated with an institution of higher learning.

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 68

I'm not sure that I am for a zero tolerance policy but definately something more than just a slap on the wrist like people are getting now.

I think that a significant # of scholarships should be lost and no post season for 3-4 years. Also look into banning coaches from the NCAA if they are involved in a scandal, this would keep people like Kiffen from running from their problems.

I would be all for penalizing programs with the loss of games but I dont know how you could do this without punishing one of their opponents.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 63

The most important first step: NCAA has to clean themselves first before they can clean the programs. And this is extremely difficult bordering impossible.