Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 275

Allegiant air

First let me say that I've used Allegiant probably 5 times so I guess I shouldn't complain. With that said:

#1 They changed my departure time from 8pm to 9:50pm. In the email they give a number to call. That number is not taking any calls because they are too busy. Also is 9:50pm really your only time option?

#2 $60 "CONVENIENCE FEE". Oh you mean because I used your web site? WTF

#3 Nothing to do with Allegiant-Vegas hotels seem to be adding a "resort fee" but it's not showing up under their advertised price.

Of course none of this is going to stop me from going to Vegas but I'm starting to see that Allegiant isn't going to be my first choice any longer. After all the hidden fees I'm finding better deals by flying through the big boys.

There is my rant for the day.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 13

Re: Allegiant air

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    First let me say that I've used Allegiant probably 5 times so I guess I shouldn't complain. With that said:

#1 They changed my departure time from 8pm to 9:50pm. In the email they give a number to call. That number is not taking any calls because they are too busy. Also is 9:50pm really your only time option?

#3 Nothing to do with Allegiant-Vegas hotels seem to be adding a "resort fee" but it's not showing up under their advertised price.

Of course none of this is going to stop me from going to Vegas but I'm starting to see that Allegiant isn't going to be my first choice any longer. After all the hidden fees I'm finding better deals by flying through the big boys.

The hotels charge the same resort fees for the FL packages as well. I still think Allegiant is the best deal if you are going to FL or Vegas by far.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66

I'll take the direct Allegiant flights from DM anyday of the week...even if it cost me a little more.

In my experiences (probably 5-6 times), the DM to Vegas Allegiant flight is rarely delayed which is very nice compared to the big guys.

Their is only one Allegiant flight per day (to Vegas) so yes, you are stuck with the 9:50 flight.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

When I was looking at going to Tampa a few months back, I could get 2 tickets and a resort for around $700. Thats a pretty good deal

Walk On
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

My wife and I looked at using Allegiant for Orlando from either Cedar Rapids or Moline, no luck in September.

There can be only one.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

First off Flights get delayed all of the time. It happens on every airline.

The convenience fee is stupid but so are baggage fees. I think its ******** to "carry on" a bag and probably 50-60% of the time I end up "checking" it plane side anyway so why even bother?

As for the "hidden fees", its just a stupid marketing ploy that companies use to advertise a lower price and then once they have you committed they bend you over because you would rather pay the fee than have to hassel with canceling or whatever.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Ive personally started flying only American and Delta/Northwest out of des moines in recent years. They provide great service and I've never had any issues with them. The only one I would never fly out of DSM anymore is United. I've had way too many issues with service and i usually had to fly through Chicago at some point and I almost always had problems there (either weather or plane issues). Id rather pay a little more for American and Delta and and not have to deal with the hassle of hidden fees

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    First off Flights get delayed all of the time. It happens on every airline.

The convenience fee is stupid but so are baggage fees. I think its ******** to "carry on" a bag and probably 50-60% of the time I end up "checking" it plane side anyway so why even bother?

As for the "hidden fees", its just a stupid marketing ploy that companies use to advertise a lower price and then once they have you committed they bend you over because you would rather pay the fee than have to hassel with canceling or whatever.

This isn't a delay.

They also have the bag fee's but I didn't mention those.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bpmcclain View Post
    When I was looking at going to Tampa a few months back, I could get 2 tickets and a resort for around $700. Thats a pretty good deal
    Yep just got back from a trip to St. Pete through Allegiant where we got 2 plane tickets and 4 nights at a beachside resort for under 600$ with taxes and fees. Our flight out of DSM was delayed for 2 hours, but that's nothing when you compare it to having to make a lay-over on a non-direct flight (which also costs twice as much).

Walk On
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

We always use Allegiant for flights to Vegas. The "extra" charges for baggage, seat selection, etc are annoying but it just seems like that's the way it is. Plus I really like the convenience of an 1140 a.m. direct flight from Cedar Rapids that arrives at 1 p.m. Vegas time. Coming home it's not so great because it's a 6 a.m. flight but by that time I'm usually ready to go home.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 274

I bought RT tickets from St. Pete to CR this winter and I noticed their web site is set to default with all the extra charges like preselecting your seats and upgrading, etc. included. You really have to work sometimes figure out how to unselect the extra cost options. I don't remember any $60 convenience charge so either you missed unchecking a box somewhere or they recently added it.

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkcigar View Post
    We always use Allegiant for flights to Vegas. The "extra" charges for baggage, seat selection, etc are annoying but it just seems like that's the way it is. Plus I really like the convenience of an 1140 a.m. direct flight from Cedar Rapids that arrives at 1 p.m. Vegas time. Coming home it's not so great because it's a 6 a.m. flight but by that time I'm usually ready to go home.
    You guys realize that you don't have to pay for the "extra" charges on seat selection and a couple other items. There is a button to click on that removes that charge

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 23

This isn't a delay.

They also have the bag fee's but I didn't mention those.
    They change the flight times once or twice a year.. I've actually been waiting for this change so I can go after work.. they posted it a few months ago. It will be a 9:50p departure for awhile. Its a good deal as long as you know how to avoid their traps. Especially for a weekend trip, I'd take them everytime instead of connecting through Denver and wasting half a day.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

I bought an Alllegiant ticket once and got to the airport 43 minutes before my flight was scheduled to leave. Their ticket counter people are also the ones that load and get the plane ready for the flight so they close the counter 45 minutes before the flight. I missed my flight and I won't waste my money on Allegiant anymore. Not worth it for me.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Me State View Post
    I bought an Alllegiant ticket once and got to the airport 43 minutes before my flight was scheduled to leave. Their ticket counter people are also the ones that load and get the plane ready for the flight so they close the counter 45 minutes before the flight. I missed my flight and I won't waste my money on Allegiant anymore. Not worth it for me.
    Printed right on the ticket confirmation e-mail:

Check-in: Please check-in at the ALLEGIANT AIR ticket counter or online at www.allegiant.com. Allegiant recommends arriving at the airport at least two (2) hours prior to scheduled departure. Customers need to be checked in no less than 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure, which is when the ticket counter closes. Customers who pre-purchase their seat assignments must be at the gate area at least 45 minutes prior to departure or their seat selection will be forfeited and they will participate in open seating. Aircraft doors will close at 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure to ensure an on-time departure.
    I'd say you only have yourself to blame.