Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 204,188, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,198
    Points
    204,188
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,875
    Given: 724

    Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Maybe this will bring back some vibrancy to the Towers area. However, I do feel kind of bad for these freshmen who are stuck out there. Never appealed to me in the slightest.

    ISUís Wilson Hall Returns to Tradition, Filling Up with Freshmen



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 101,877, Level: 99
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,173
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Senolcyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,206
    Points
    101,877
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 25

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Maybe this will bring back some vibrancy to the Towers area. However, I do feel kind of bad for these freshmen who are stuck out there. Never appealed to me in the slightest.

    ISUís Wilson Hall Returns to Tradition, Filling Up with Freshmen

    How many years until they have to blow up the last two towers?



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 442,879, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,216
    Points
    442,879
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 425
    Given: 56

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Some added advantages for Wilson residents will be the proximity to central campus
    Next sentence:
    “It took awhile to get used to it because it seemed so far away from campus,”
    Nice job author.

    Luckily Towers weren't constructed as temporary housing. I personally think they really messed up not making the Martin-Eaton complex bigger.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 204,188, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,198
    Points
    204,188
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,875
    Given: 724

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    How many years until they have to blow up the last two towers?
    I actually never knew this, but the article says:

    In 2003 and 2004, structural issues caused the Department of Residence to close Knapp and Storms halls. In 2005, the halls were demolished. Knapp and Storms halls were constructed using a batch of concrete with a high iron content, which over time led to irreparable damage. The concrete used to create Wallace and Wilson halls contained the appropriate amount of iron to withstand Iowa weather conditions.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 514,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    35,040
    Points
    514,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,035
    Given: 1,424

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Next sentence:

    Nice job author.

    Luckily Towers weren't constructed as temporary housing. I personally think they really messed up not making the Martin-Eaton complex bigger.
    I know they were only designed to be "temporary" housing, but considering Wallace/Wilson are nearing 50 years in age, I think it's safe to say at this point it's "permanent" housing...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.


  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 68,540, Level: 81
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,210
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    d4nim4l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    4,805
    Points
    68,540
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 34

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I know they were only designed to be "temporary" housing, but considering Wallace/Wilson are nearing 50 years in age, I think it's safe to say at this point it's "permanent" housing...
    Yeah, all four were designed to be temporary but with the renovations to Wallace and Wilson in the earlier part of decade and the correct concrete they'll end up being used for quite sometime.



    Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 429,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    22,564
    Points
    429,765
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,446
    Given: 799

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Next sentence:

    Nice job author.

    Luckily Towers weren't constructed as temporary housing. I personally think they really messed up not making the Martin-Eaton complex bigger.
    There was originally going to be one more building like those two, as i remember, and then Helser wouldve been knocked out.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 144,159, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,076
    Points
    144,159
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 31

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    I'm surprised the neighborhood activists around Towers aren't protesting this move! How dare ISU populate their dormitories with more unruly freshman! This will lower their property values!!!



    Last edited by RayShimley; 06-01-2011 at 10:10 AM.

  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 9,911, Level: 29
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    150
    Points
    9,911
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    I spent my one year at ISU in Wilson Hall. Had a lot of fun out there and still have some good memories...even 30 years later.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 514,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    35,040
    Points
    514,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,035
    Given: 1,424

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    There was originally going to be one more building like those two, as i remember, and then Helser wouldve been knocked out.
    Actually, no - they were originally going to tear down part of what once was Hughes Hall (Friley west of the Arches) and replace it with a dormitory of the style of Eaton and Martin Halls (the two residence halls built on top of where Clyde Williams Field used to sit), connected to the Arches, as part of a UDA rehabilitation. Part of Helser Hall was torn down to accommodate the UDA Community/Dining Center (Woodrow House ceases to exist as a result - R.I.P. the Beaver...), and the rest of it was to be torn down upon completion of the three new residence halls. The tearing down of that part of Hughes Hall and rebuilding it with Suite #3, as far as I can tell, has been abandoned. Then again, it's been more than a decade since I was involved with the student part of the planning of the UDA rehabilitation.

    Unless you are referring to years before my time at ISU (1997-2003)...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.


  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 429,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    22,564
    Points
    429,765
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,446
    Given: 799

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Actually, no - they were originally going to tear down part of what once was Hughes Hall (Friley west of the Arches) and replace it with a dormitory of the style of Eaton and Martin Halls (the two residence halls built on top of where Clyde Williams Field used to sit), connected to the Arches, as part of a UDA rehabilitation. Part of Helser Hall was torn down to accommodate the UDA Community/Dining Center (Woodrow House ceases to exist as a result - R.I.P. the Beaver...), and the rest of it was to be torn down upon completion of the three new residence halls. The tearing down of that part of Hughes Hall and rebuilding it with Suite #3, as far as I can tell, has been abandoned. Then again, it's been more than a decade since I was involved with the student part of the planning of the UDA rehabilitation.

    Unless you are referring to years before my time at ISU (1997-2003)...
    Yes, the new building was going to go on top of part of friley, but i believe after that Helser was going to be torn down to create green space in the middle of that area. My time was just after yours (03-07)



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 136,209, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Naughtius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    2,645
    Points
    136,209
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 12

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Ugh. I lived in a triple in Wilson (Lamson) for about 2 weeks. I know some folks loved the Towers, but I couldn't wait to get out of there. Moved to new RCA at semester.


    "Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 33,635, Level: 56
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    abcguyks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Olathe
    Posts
    1,883
    Points
    33,635
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 123

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Spent four years in the towers (Wilson / Matterson) and loved it. Had a room that overlooked the "South Towers Beach" (nice views!!). Long walk / bike ride down Welch was the only negative.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 514,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    35,040
    Points
    514,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,035
    Given: 1,424

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Yes, the new building was going to go on top of part of friley, but i believe after that Helser was going to be torn down to create green space in the middle of that area. My time was just after yours (03-07)
    My fault - I misread your post. I thought you were referring to another building being built out at Towers, which, as far as I can tell, was NEVER in the works.



    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.


  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 908,203, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    60,642
    Points
    908,203
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,097
    Given: 4,154

    Re: Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

    Quote Originally Posted by abcguyks View Post
    Spent four years in the towers (Wilson / Matterson) and loved it. Had a room that overlooked the "South Towers Beach" (nice views!!). Long walk / bike ride down Welch was the only negative.
    The Welch Wind Tunnel was a tough walk in the winter. I'll never forget those walks from Knapp to Science II early in the morning. Ugly, ugly time.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM