Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Now that tOSU has lost its head coach...

and they're going to be hammered USC style, which Big Ten school is best positioned to replace the Buckeyes at the top of the Big Ten?

My best guess is Wisconsin. Bielema, as much as we dislike him, has built a powerhouse there. Michigan, IMO, is at least a year or two away to contend with the Badgers. Iowa needs two to three years. PSU needs new coaching blood before they're back contending. MSU may be the next best choice. Suddenly, the Big Ten conference has a lot of uncertainty as to who's the "BMOC."

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,120
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 50

Re: Now that tOSU has lost its head coach...

Wisconsin or Nebraska

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 0

Wisconsin definitely is in the best position in that division. Penn State could beat them this year but long term they need to get the coaching situation figured out. Joe Pa has to go sooner or later.

I think if Brady Hoke is the man at Michigan this could really help them. Tressel owned the Wolverines, Hoke needs to get that rivalry back to at least even

ABC - Always Be Closing

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 39

Michigan. Of course it likely won't be this year but take a look at his recruiting class. The guys has 13 commitments and he didn't get there until mid-January. I think they are going to be a force over the next 10 years.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    Wisconsin or Nebraska
    I put Nebby with the Wolverines, a year or two away from contending with Wisky.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Michigan. Of course it likely won't be this year but take a look at his recruiting class. The guys has 13 commitments and he didn't get there until mid-January. I think they are going to be a force over the next 10 years.
    I am speaking in immediate terms, not the near or long term. I agree, Mich. will be the school to replace tOSU in the near and long term, but they're not quite there yet. I think that the Wolverine-Badger rivalry is going to heat up big time over the next two or three years.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

Long term I don't see OSU having issues, they'll take a blow initially when the sanctions come down but I can bet you they'll be back once they have served their penalties. OSU is a top 5 program in the country and has too much prestige to fall to bottom dweller status like that. I don't see USC staying down too long after their sanctions are up either.

Last edited by CYdTracked; 05-31-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    I am speaking in immediate terms, not the near or long term. I agree, Mich. will be the school to replace tOSU in the near and long term, but they're not quite there yet. I think that the Wolverine-Badger rivalry is going to heat up big time over the next two or three years.
    It will be a good rivalry, but will be hampered by the fact that they won't play each other that often thanks to the new scheduling.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57;2264356[B
    ][/B]I am speaking in immediate terms, not the near or long term. I agree, Mich. will be the school to replace tOSU in the near and long term, but they're not quite there yet. I think that the Wolverine-Badger rivalry is going to heat up big time over the next two or three years.
    I was originally going to say Nebraska, but I think the team that will see the most immediate success will be Michigan State. Finished 11-2 last year. Play @ tOSU in Week 5, so those suspended starters will still be out. Host Michigan and Wisconsin, toughest games will be when they are away at Nebraska and Iowa.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 39

Oh, ok. Yeah, the Badgers are the team then and I'm not so sure they weren't in better shape than OSU anyway. I hate Bielema with a passion but the guy can run a program.

In all honesty, the biggest gainer out of this whole ordeal may be Michigan State. They have gotten destroyed by Michigan up to this point by Brady Hoke in terms of recruiting. I think there were something like 9 guys both teams have offered and Michigan has gotten commitments from. MSU hasn't been able to beat them for anyone coming off one of their best years ever. With OSU likely to struggle for a couple years, either Michigan will take their guys and leave some for MSU or MSU will be able to take some of the guys that may have gone to OSU. That said, MSU will never have more sustained success than Iowa.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Wisconsin easily stands as the team with the most to gain. OSU will still contend for Big 10 titles despite all of their problems (assuming they aren't banned from the Big 10 title game). Their roster is still full of 4 and 5 star recruits, and their coach this year has plenty of experience. MSU is a paper tiger. They proved this last year playing 3 good teams all year, and getting absolutely spanked by 2 of them. Michigan has a very nice class coming in, but it won't pay dividends for at least 2 years. I still expect Hoke to have them competing for the division title. Iowa, MSU, and Nebraska really aren't any better at this point. Nebraska is going to need to find a legitimate passing game if they want to contend. Their running game WILL get shut down by most Big 10 teams. They will need to adapt. Penn State is a mixed bag. That team has the talent to contend, but will they have any consistency overall, or a passing game for that matter? Northwestern will win their usual 7 to 8 games, but won't ever be good enough to win the division or conference. Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota will be bad like usual.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 59

I don't think the answer can be anyone from the Legends division (Mich, Neb, Iowa, Minn, NW, MSU) because OSU doesn't affect their chances of getting to the championship game.

So it comes down to either Penn St or Wisconsin. I don't think OSU will be "down" for long but I think this will allow PSU and Wisconsin to catch up to them.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh, ok. Yeah, the Badgers are the team then and I'm not so sure they weren't in better shape than OSU anyway. I hate Bielema with a passion but the guy can run a program.

In all honesty, the biggest gainer out of this whole ordeal may be Michigan State. They have gotten destroyed by Michigan up to this point by Brady Hoke in terms of recruiting. I think there were something like 9 guys both teams have offered and Michigan has gotten commitments from. MSU hasn't been able to beat them for anyone coming off one of their best years ever. With OSU likely to struggle for a couple years, either Michigan will take their guys and leave some for MSU or MSU will be able to take some of the guys that may have gone to OSU. That said, MSU will never have more sustained success than Iowa.
    Should be interesting in the next two to three years between SUI, MSU and Nebby as the second tier teams of the Big Ten. tOSU will be down for years. USC is not likely to recover very quickly from their penalties despite their current standing, so the Buckeyes probably will follow suit. In the meantime, the whole landscape of the Big Ten will change and the Buckeyes will find the "Comeback Road to Glory" very rough indeed.

Last edited by drednot57; 05-31-2011 at 10:26 AM.
    P.J. Farmer rocks!

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 138

and they're going to be hammered USC style, which Big Ten school is best positioned to replace the Buckeyes at the top of the Big Ten?

My best guess is Wisconsin. Bielema, as much as we dislike him, has built a powerhouse there. Michigan, IMO, is at least a year or two away to contend with the Badgers. Iowa needs two to three years. PSU needs new coaching blood before they're back contending. MSU may be the next best choice. Suddenly, the Big Ten conference has a lot of uncertainty as to who's the "BMOC."

Bielema has not "built a powerhouse" hes sustained what Alvarez built....michigan maybe back after this year with the D talent they have coming in and with a defensive minded coach...PSU needed new coaching blood supposedly 5 years ago then they have had several good years since IMO

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have to disagree here, Yaman. tOSU is still tOSU. Sure they'll be down a little bit, but they're still going to land elite recruits. Michigan is already showing that they can land good recruits with Hoke at the helm. If Michigan translates that talent to success on the field MSU is doomed. They will go back to being irrelevant like they were before the Rich Rod years. I am fully of the opinion that MSU is a paper tiger. They played 3 good teams last year in Wisconsin, Iowa, and Alabama. They caught Wisconsin before Wiscy went on the warpath. Iowa and Alabama absolutely spanked them up and down the field. Both games were over by halftime. MSU is going to have an incredibly difficult time winning that division. Iowa, Michigan, and Nebraska will likely have more talent on the roster, and even NW will be good enough most years to beat them. I will legitimately be shocked if MSU wins that division in the next 5 years.