Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 195

mikem

Mike,

Please tell me that I'm not THIS bad when it comes to being a "sheep". Check out the posts of Scarlet36Bucks in this thread on the OSU Scout board regarding Tressel (particularly those in the last few pages, after I started posting in it).

Scout.com: Jim Tressel Resigns

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Re: mikem

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Mike,

Please tell me that I'm not THIS bad when it comes to being a "sheep". Check out the posts of Scarlet36Bucks in this thread on the OSU Scout board regarding Tressel (particularly those in the last few pages, after I started posting in it).

36's contention that CFB is not an amateur sport is interesting, but grossly narrow-minded IMO. If BCS CFB players are receiving enough compensation to not call them amateurs, then the whole of BCS CFB needs a thorough Congressional investigation. Aside from receiving a full-ride scholarship and a modest stipend for which all high level amateur athletes receive from their sponsors, there is nothing in receiving those benefits that smacks of professionalism.

Last edited by drednot57; 05-31-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    P.J. Farmer rocks!

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cool!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

tm, you are one of the more level headed u fans that I have encountered on chat sites. I have seen you be critical, even though it is usually with a qualification, so I can see that you are not blind, the stench even gets to you sometimes.

The whole cult of personality thing is what drives people on these sites.

Look at how many times u fans have referred to kirkie as a "man of integrity." They do this, even with the evidence that he is not above all of the shady antics that go on in all of these schools. Believe it or not, he just like all of the other coaches.

The thing that makes it even more laughable is that these same u fans that spout this nonsense are the first ones to criticize other programs. It is sad how insecure and small many of your fanbase truly are.

What these "people" are doing is much what u fans do as well. They have a lot more tradition, and are a real national program. BUT what the sweater vest has done the past 10 years is exceptional, even by their standards. They don't want to lose the success.

They are a scared bunch right now, no question about that. At least we won't have to worry about another NCG run by the Buckeyes for a bit. That always makes us fans of football and not hype nervous every November.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Mike,

You start two paragraphs with "first off". Work on it.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

tm,

You aren't that bad at all, but I think we all know that if the exact same thing happened in Iowa City, the majority of Iowa's "message board" fans would be defending Ferentz tooth and nail.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    tm,

You aren't that bad at all, but I think we all know that if the exact same thing happened in Iowa City, the majority of Iowa's "message board" fans would be defending Ferentz tooth and nail.
    That would apply to pretty much every school though.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    tm,

Al, I have to respectfully, but completely disagree here. No doubt you would have a number of ignorant fans who would still defend Ferentz. However, I have to believe the majority of fans would not put up with blatant cheating and a total lack of disregard for NCAA policies. What Tressel did is a far cry from anything Ferentz has, or hasn't done.

With the off-field issues Iowa's football team has had there is only a certain amount of culpability on Ferentz's part. He is not out at the bars handing the players drinks, or picking fights outside of Vito's. Tressel, on the other hand, was not only clearly condoning his players' actions (selling merchandise, getting car deals), but intentionally withholding that information from not only the NCAA, but even his own AD and President.

Ferentz is by no means a saint, and Hawk fans who think he is full of integrity are being naive, but his actions are in no way comparable to Tressel's. There has never been any indication whatsoever that he is doing/has done anything like Tressel did, and I am very confident that most Hawk fans would neither put up with cheating, nor condone a coach's actions that directly tie to the illegal/rule breaking actions of his players.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

Wow - I had no idea that denial is a river that is now flooding Columbus...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.