Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 40

Too many Hawk fans around Ames

Yesterday I was shopping with my family at North Grand Mall. My mom went into the Strawberry patch to look for an ISU hoodie. I'm trying to figure out why its still called the Strawberry Patch, they have just about as much Iowa stauff in there as they do ISU, even near the front of the store now, but the thing that was most astonishing to me was that the girl running the cash register was wearing a hawkeye shirt. I mean really, its supposed to be a store primarily for ISU fans in Ames, I understand that there are a decent amount of Hawkeye fans in Ames now and they want to market to to those people too, but the store clerk really shouldn't be wearing an Iowa shirt, what a slap in the face.
    To make thing even better after that we went to Tradehome shoes to get some shoes for my brother, the sales associate there showed him some shoes with black and gold laces in them, he said he couldn't wear anything with those colors. The store clerk replied by asking him to list the top three collegiate sports and which school was better, he was a real *** about it. The other associate then jumped in and showed my brother a shoe with cyclone laces, but it was a little late by that time and we left the store. I honestly couldn't believe it, I mean I already knew there were a lot of cocky and arrogant Iowa fans but that was just unbelievable. Iowa State fans need to have some more pride and turn Ames back into cardinal and gold country. This kind of stuff would never fly for a cyclone fan in Iowa City, why should it for hawk fans in Ames?

Last edited by cyclone87; 05-30-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 692
    Given: 1,038

Re: Too many Hawk fans around Ames

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone87 View Post
    Yesterday I was shopping with my family at North Grand Mall. My mom went into the Strawberry patch to look for an ISU hoodie. I'm trying to figure out why its still called the Strawberry Patch, they have just about as much Iowa stauff in there as they do ISU, even near the front of the store now, but the thing that was most astonishing to me was that the girl running the cash register was wearing a hawkeye shirt. I mean really, its supposed to be a store primarily for ISU fans in Ames, I understand that there are a decent amount of Hawkeye fans in Ames now and they want to market to to those people too, but the store clerk really shouldn't be wearing an Iowa shirt, what a slap in the face.
    To make thing even better after that we went to Tradehome shoes to get some shoes for my brother, the sales associate there showed him some shoes with black and gold laces in them, he said he couldn't wear anything with those colors. The store clerk replied by asking him to list the top three collegiate sports and which school was better, he was a real *** about it. The other associate then jumped in and showed my brother a shoe with cyclone laces, but it was a little late by that time and we left the store. I honestly couldn't believe it, I mean I already knew there were a lot of cocky and arrogant Iowa fans but that was just unbelievable. Iowa State fans need to have some more pride and turn Ames back into cardinal and gold country. This kind of stuff would never fly for a cyclone fan in Iowa City, why should it for hawk fans in Ames?
    I agree and thats why I don't buy anything from the Strawberry Patch anymore.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    I agree and thats why I don't buy anything from the Strawberry Patch anymore.
    We used to stop and shop there after football games when I was younger, sadly won't be shopping there anymore either. Plenty of other cyclone apparel stores around ames.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

It used to bother me but now it doesn't. I realized that most of the belligerent hok fans are that way because they really don't have anything else going for their lives and I can accept that. Usually, Cyclone fans have jobs and lives that don't require them to try to prove that their life is significant by the team that is on their shirt and how many bowl games they have been to. If the tiger hawk is the only thing that makes them significant and being a doushe in Cyclone Country, that's fine. Joke is on them.

Enjoy.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,918
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 85

I would call both stores and speak with the owner/manager. Especially the tradehome thing. That guy should be trying to sell shoes, not get in a p*ssing match with CUSTOMERS (especially in Ames). Maybe that kid can learn a lesson in business etiquette when he's fired or given a warning.

As a business owner, you don't always know what your employees are doing/saying when you're not there. That information is probably much appreciated by the owner.

Last edited by acgclone; 05-30-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 22

The worst thing I've seen was T-Galaxy, in the middle of Campustown, selling excess Iowa gear under a Hawkeye tent outside the store. I know it is a business, but I couldn't believe they would do that right in the middle of Welch Ave.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 4

Seems like each year I'm seeing more and more Hawkeye stuff (car decals, license plates, clothing, etc.) in Ames. It's too bad but the reality is our programs have to win more to prevent it from happening more in the future.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 628

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    I would call both stores and speak with the owner/manager. Especially the tradehome thing. That guy should be trying to sell shoes, not get in a p*ssing match with CUSTOMERS (especially in Ames). Maybe that kid can learn a lesson in business etiquette when he's fired or given a warning.

As a business owner, you don't always know what your employees are doing/saying when you're not there. That information is probably much appreciated by the owner.
    I dunno about Strawberry Patch. They wouldn't be putting Iowa gear out if it wasn't selling. The kid at Tradehome sounds like a ****** though. I wouldn't feel bad calling him in.

I buy ISU gear all the time at the Scheels in Coralville. I'm sure the Hawk fans think the same thing about ISU gear in Iowa City.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I have the same impression when I see someone wearing Iowa gear that I do when I see a pair of fake balls hanging off of a trailer hitch.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 1,262

Who flippin' cares...

Addict
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 215

Well, it was SPecial Olympics this weekend, so of course there were lots of Hawk fans around.

#BEATIOWA

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 708
    Given: 332

Strawberry Patch sucks. I've been there once and the quality of clothing is horrible. I never went back.
    The tradehome dude sounds like a *****.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by DumbFan View Post
    It used to bother me but now it doesn't. I realized that most of the belligerent hok fans are that way because they really don't have anything else going for their lives and I can accept that. Usually, Cyclone fans have jobs and lives that don't require them to try to prove that their life is significant by the team that is on their shirt and how many bowl games they have been to. If the tiger hawk is the only thing that makes them significant and being a doushe in Cyclone Country, that's fine. Joke is on them.
    As much as it gets under my skin to see Hawk gear in Ames, this is dead on.

Fact of the matter is when ISU was beating Iowa on a more regular basis, Hawk gear in Ames was far less prevalent.

These people are generally d-bags any way you cut it. If I'm in Iowa City and it isn't for the Iowa/Iowa State game, I make a point of it to not wear ISU gear, just as a courtesy.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 41

I went to the Iowa State vs Iowa game last year in iowa city with 3 of my roommates. We all go to ISU, but i'd say im the only one who is a big ISU fan.

2 of them left friday night, (not including me). So we get up and get ready to go to the game and he comes out dressed in black and gold t-shirt. I was like WTF? I usually don't give 2 ***** what he or anyone else wears, but i told him he was being a straight up ***** if he wore that shirt. "I don't wanna start anything or have beer thrown at me" he said. When we got to IC, the other 2 were wearing hawk gear too.

That really irritated me. What a bunch of pansys. Man, im sure hawk fans are worried wearing iowa gear in ames. Not. Why should we be embarrassed to wear our I State stuff in Iowa City?

I bought a flag for my car before we left just so everyone would know we were cyclone fans. That really scared him.

Im not trying to sound all bad-*** or anything... but it makes me sick to hear cyclone fans walking around scared.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    I went to the Iowa State vs Iowa game last year in iowa city with 3 of my roommates. We all go to ISU, but i'd say im the only one who is a big ISU fan.

2 of them left friday night, (not including me). So we get up and get ready to go to the game and he comes out dressed in black and gold t-shirt. I was like WTF? I usually don't give 2 ***** what he or anyone else wears, but i told him he was being a straight up ***** if he wore that shirt. "I don't wanna start anything or have beer thrown at me" he said. When we got to IC, the other 2 were wearing hawk gear too.

That really irritated me. What a bunch of pansys. Man, im sure hawk fans are worried wearing iowa gear in ames. Not. Why should we be embarrassed to wear our I State stuff in Iowa City?

I bought a flag for my car before we left just so everyone would know we were cyclone fans. That really scared him.

Im not trying to sound all bad-*** or anything... but it makes me sick to hear cyclone fans walking around scared.
    I always wear ISU stuff for the Iowa/Iowa State game, but since I hate it so much when I see Hawk gear in Ames, I try to practice the Golden Rule. It isn't being scared.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.