Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 148

Deadliest Catch: What went wrong on Cornelia Marie?

Seemed like it was just the perfect storm and new skipper Derek had almost no chance to succeed. He seems like an OK guy and, despite completely striking out this season, he may even know what he's doing. But the way he walked in there and tried to take charge and lay down the law with a veteran crew just wasn't going to work.

Not that I'm an expert, but it also seemed like a mistake to go after the notoriously elusive blue crab his first voyage out. If he was going to earn the respect of the crew he needed a "milk run" to get started.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Deadliest Catch: What went wrong on Cornelia Marie?

It was definitely a tough situation for Derek to come in to, but he hasn't made it any easier on himself. Constantly reminding the boys that Phil's dead just seems like a d-bag move.

He was probably a captain without a boat for a reason. I'm not too surprised he struck out. If I was in the boys' place I might have asked Andy Hillstrand to run the boat for one season and try to train me to take over after that. I only say that because Jon runs the Time Bandit during king crab, and the Hillstrands seem close to the Harris's.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,232
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    Seemed like it was just the perfect storm and new skipper Derek had almost no chance to succeed. He seems like an OK guy and, despite completely striking out this season, he may even know what he's doing. But the way he walked in there and tried to take charge and lay down the law with a veteran crew just wasn't going to work.

Not that I'm an expert, but it also seemed like a mistake to go after the notoriously elusive blue crab his first voyage out. If he was going to earn the respect of the crew he needed a "milk run" to get started.
    the situation was doomed from the start. Finding crab would of only delayed the inevitable. I was hoping they'd work a deal with the Northwestern bringing one of the Hansens over to skipper and the boys could work as assistant Captains on each boat to learn the ropes. Seemed like a good way to invest in their future and carry on the legacy. Working the deck for someone you hired seems pointless and prolongs a bad situation.

Last edited by Cyforce; 05-26-2011 at 10:10 AM.
    Let Me Mayor Coach!

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 70

Tough situation for a new captain. Somebody on the boat is smoking weed and he's trying to find out who it is. I suspect its Jake because of the way he bolted from the ship after they made it to the dock. Tonights episode will be very interesting.

Go Cyclones!!

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

With the way they edit the show it's tough to have any idea how long they have actually been out fishing, but I believe I heard them say they had been out 9 days and wanted to quit and call it a season or maybe that was when they talked about switching to regular king crap.

Either way, that doesn't seem like an awful long time to be fishing. Why not just switch to king crab and try to make some money?

And how guilty was Jake? As soon as they got in he took off and went to the airport to avoid a drug test.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

I have hope for Josh, but I just think Jake is a waste of space. I doubt the other Captains are going to be too keen to have Jake on their boat after what happened in the last episode.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 59

There were quite a few boats that started out with blue crab this year. Did the red crab quota go down this year or what?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 148

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFan View Post
    It was definitely a tough situation for Derek to come in to, but he hasn't made it any easier on himself. Constantly reminding the boys that Phil's dead just seems like a d-bag move.

He was probably a captain without a boat for a reason. I'm not too surprised he struck out. If I was in the boys' place I might have asked Andy Hillstrand to run the boat for one season and try to train me to take over after that. I only say that because Jon runs the Time Bandit during king crab, and the Hillstrands seem close to the Harris's.
    You are right, he did not make it any easier on himself and I hope if he watched it back he learned something from his own mistakes.

Getting Andy to run the boat for a season would have been a great idea. I would have liked to have seen that.

Prospect
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I read somewhere that the Harris brothers and other owners screwed up and did not get their license or quota for red king bought in time. That forced them to have to go for the blue crab which are harder to catch, so they were doomed from the start. Sounds like the Harris boys still wanted the TV money so they went out anyway. The only reason they were even talking about going after red king was because some of the other captains offered to lease their quota to the CM. Seems to follow some logic based on their actions and what they caught.

I feel bad for the captain because it seems Jake & Josh seem to have an attitude and think they know more than they do and they always play the "when my dad ran the boat" card. I can't imagine that Phil would have let them get away with the stuff they are trying to pull.

Appears to me that the Harris brothers don't know what they are doing and Derrick gets to be the scape goat for their failures. No way Discovery is going to make the Harris boys look too bad to keep the sympathy card going.

Pro
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Josh and Jake are too immature to own a boat. Josh whines w/the others as if he was just a member of the crew. Then, he goes to the house and says, "Hey, some of the guys are saying XXX..." instead of "I'm seeing this, but I want to see this." Take a stand, bro. It's your boat.
    Then Jake the Snake comes in minutes later after Josh has broached the topic and proceeds to flame on the captain. Get a pair, young fella. Stop hiding behind Jake.
    Captain has to take some of this, too. Phil could rule with an iron fist. He could do that. Can't do that when 2 of your crew members own the boat.

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtius View Post
    Josh and Jake are too immature to own a boat. Josh whines w/the others as if he was just a member of the crew. Then, he goes to the house and says, "Hey, some of the guys are saying XXX..." instead of "I'm seeing this, but I want to see this." Take a stand, bro. It's your boat.
    Then Jake the Snake comes in minutes later after Josh has broached the topic and proceeds to flame on the captain. Get a pair, young fella. Stop hiding behind Jake.
    Captain has to take some of this, too. Phil could rule with an iron fist. He could do that. Can't do that when 2 of your crew members own the boat.
    And add to that that neither of those crew member were ever taught how to fish or captain the boat by their dad. That is what really compounds the problem. They criticize Derek, but don't know how to do any better themselves.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFan View Post

I think the Time Bandit is small enough that a captains license is not required and neither of the Hillstrand brothers have a captains license. The CM is large enough that a captains license is required. I'm not positive, but I have read this in the past from the internet, and we all know the internet is always right.

I wonder what happened to Murry who captained the boat when Phil got sick?

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 70

I wondered what happened to Murray as well. The crew seemed to have respect for him when he was filling in for Phil.

Go Cyclones!!

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

I think Murray retired, and that is why they got a new engineer. Steve I think?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by jay moe View Post
    Tough situation for a new captain. Somebody on the boat is smoking weed and he's trying to find out who it is. I suspect its Jake because of the way he bolted from the ship after they made it to the dock. Tonights episode will be very interesting.
    Is there a different show on that tonight? Or are the new DC show's on Thursday nights where you are at?