Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Supplements Rip You Off!

I saw a story on channel 13 tonight that gave me a few reasons to never go back to the GNCs and Nutrishops of the world. Ask your doctor how they feel about these products and you may never go back either. I am not saying that 100% of the products aren't safe, but the ridiculous weight loss claims and the fact that none of em are regulated means they can print whatever they want to on the bottle and put whatever they want inside the bottle. The marketing gimmicks and the way they take advantage of consumer's desires to be healthy is appalling. Don't fall for the trap! This information isn't new, but most of the public isn't aware of the scams that are going on by their trusted, "knowledgeable" salespeople.

If you are a believer in these products, just watch the channel 13 story and talk to your doctor. You may be risking your health or even your life.

What's everybody's experience with this? Am I the one who is misguided and foolish for hating the whole supplement world? I guess my goals of looking like a jacked meathead jock and grunting at myself in the mirror while doing hundreds of curls is out the window. Thanks doctors...

Enjoy.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 330
    Given: 162

Re: Supplements Rip You Off!

Depends on what kinds of supplements we're talking about.
    Some are good and work.
    Some are bad and don't.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,004
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 164

I didn't see tonight's story, but in the past when channel 13 decides to do an indepth look at a topic I'm familiar with, I find their stories to be blown out of proportion and all about ratings and inciting panic.

With that out of the way, I will admit that I believe there are many supplements that are overhyped. Overall, cyclonedave25 summed it up best above =

"Depends on what kinds of supplements we're talking about.
    Some are good and work.
    Some are bad and don't."

Starter
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 19

true clonedave, like fish oil, vit. D, and many others supplements are sometimes prescribed by doctors. but the ones with claims of miracle cures to good to be true usually are just that.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I'm normally an anti-supplement guy. I take a multivitamin every morning as a prophylactic, and have seen good results in my exercise/work routine just by eating regular meals made of an assortment of good food.

But then I am not interested in "getting big".

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,290
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 59

Please don't lump all supplements together and claim that they are all crap. While there are some "snake oils" out there that claim to offer benefits that they can't back up, there are also some great supplements that can help you live a better, healthier life.

The average western diet is horrible at best, and nearly everyone should be taking some form of supplement, be it vitamins, minerals, etc. Studies have shown that healthcare costs can be reduced drastically with supplements. What most people don't realize is that the Recommended Daily Allowance on the labels of foods are just enough to keep the average person out of the hospital.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by DumbFan View Post
    I saw a story on channel 13 tonight that gave me a few reasons to never go back to the GNCs and Nutrishops of the world. Ask your doctor how they feel about these products and you may never go back either. I am not saying that 100% of the products aren't safe, but the ridiculous weight loss claims and the fact that none of em are regulated means they can print whatever they want to on the bottle and put whatever they want inside the bottle. The marketing gimmicks and the way they take advantage of consumer's desires to be healthy is appalling. Don't fall for the trap! This information isn't new, but most of the public isn't aware of the scams that are going on by their trusted, "knowledgeable" salespeople.

If you are a believer in these products, just watch the channel 13 story and talk to your doctor. You may be risking your health or even your life.

What's everybody's experience with this? Am I the one who is misguided and foolish for hating the whole supplement world? I guess my goals of looking like a jacked meathead jock and grunting at myself in the mirror while doing hundreds of curls is out the window. Thanks doctors...

I'd just do whatever the guy in your avatar tells me to do to get healthy

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 330
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by djcubby View Post
    Please don't lump all supplements together and claim that they are all crap. While there are some "snake oils" out there that claim to offer benefits that they can't back up, there are also some great supplements that can help you live a better, healthier life.

The average western diet is horrible at best, and nearly everyone should be taking some form of supplement, be it vitamins, minerals, etc. Studies have shown that healthcare costs can be reduced drastically with supplements. What most people don't realize is that the Recommended Daily Allowance on the labels of foods are just enough to keep the average person out of the hospital.
    This. Seriously, who eats all of their servings of fruits and veggies?? I know I don't come anywhere close. Which is why I take a multivitamin/mineral every morning to give me the nutrients I don't get through food. They are a good immune system booster, as well.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

A lot of Doctors are not very well versed in nutrition. So asking them about supplements is not going to get you anywhere. Now prescription drugs, they know about.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The part of the story that bothered me the most was how very few of the counter workers/sales people knew anything about the product. For example, when asked by the undercover buyer what HCG did to help lose weight, they got a different answer by every person. Ridiculous answers like "It helps your body metabolize the fat cells naturally while helping your body build muscle." None of them seemed to have a clue and when dealing with peoples lives and well-being, they should have a little more than a non-educated guess as to how these chemicals are going to affect the persons life they are responsible for.

Enjoy.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,212
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

Quote Originally Posted by hellomark View Post
    Thanks, I am not able to get u completely so kindly describe it more.
    Winning!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And it gets even better. When they actually took the HCG product into a lab and had it tested for traces of the active ingredient, there was absolutely none in there. So not only are they pulling stuff out of their rears to sell this stuff as a healthy way to lose weight, the products they are selling for $60/bottle are little more than placebo pills.

Not all products are this way. Just be aware that these lies exist out there and this practice is going on more than you may think.

Enjoy.

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 25

I didn't see the story but I have a comment. You should be asking a pharmacist about the ingredients in the bottles, not your doctor.

Starter
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by heyguy85 View Post
    I didn't see the story but I have a comment. You should be asking a pharmacist about the ingredients in the bottles, not your doctor.
    This. Pharmacists are the experts on medications. Many think that they are just "pill counters" but this is far from the truth. Even if your Dr. prescribes you something, discuss it with your pharmacist as the Dr. may not know about the side-effects and interactions with other drugs/supplements you are taking.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 16

1. lets throw genetics aside, that is most important, but something you cant control

2. diet is key if you want to look like a jacked meat head. Which by the way you most likely will never look like guys in the magizines without #1 and illegal drugs. But you can still look great. More important then working out itself, diet is the key to making sure you have exact amount of calories you need to gain or lose weight everyday. every single day is important, every meal is important. i have a calculater for each body type to tell you exactly, at least as exactly as one can get, to how many calories you need per day.

3. next is working out. stop doing cardio, unless you are doing this for your health or are overweight, cardio is zapping your muscle gains... see #1, if you have great genetics you can do both. if you are looking to be healthy then do cardio as well. if you are looking strictly for muscle lift, lift and lift, and limit cardio to no more then 3 sessions a week at max of 20 min. Reason being is since your calories will be exact, there is no need to burn off any more. Now im not a doctor and they will tell you to keep your heart in shape. That means cardio, but walking is healthy so you can do that in limited amounts as i stated above. And we are not talking the rest of your life.

4. a few supplements that will help you add muscle and or strength. A) Pure Creatine, just the regular old Creatine. B) I dont add Protein as a supplement, i consider part of #2 my diet, but Protein powder... Stick with Whey. C) Tribulus Terrestris this is for added sex drive, but can also improve your testosterone levels if yours are not normal, or if you work out a ton.

done all of the above for years, and used to help train the Miami Heat... Back before D Wade, so that sucks. :)