Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 313

Blog: A 2012 football recruiting preview (offense)

The latest from Yaman3. Good stuff on 2012 recruiting, specifically on offense.

Blog: A 2012 offensive recruiting preview | Cyclone Fanatic

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 72

Re: Blog: A 2012 football recruiting preview (offense)

I disagree with Yaman3 on overall recruiting targeting any side of the ball.

What you see in both the 2010 and 2011 classes are balanced recruiting overall.

All positions are recruited with players in each class and a few athletes that you'll figure out offense or defense and where down the road.

I see a disciplined approach to recruiting that is building talented depth that allows for more selective recruiting at all positions.

There has already been significant attrition with the 2010 class - if you sort by position, the first three recruits aren't on ISU's roster and there's no Dentrell Pate. Link: Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com 2010 Iowa St. Commitments.

So to me it looks like this: sign a balanced class tweaked to annual attrition needs and intentionally sign a few non-qualifiers/low probability to make it players with the hopes of that paying off in the future with a few of those players down the road. Think over signing knowing by the start of the football season you aim for simply as close to a full class showing up and sticking around as possible.

I do agree that O-line is likely to see a slight increase of recruits next year as only three were signed last year and that overall, defensive needs appear to need a little more recruiting than offense for 2012, but I expect it to still end up fairly even on both sides of the ball overall.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 682
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    I disagree with Yaman3 on overall recruiting targeting any side of the ball.

What you see in both the 2010 and 2011 classes are balanced recruiting overall.

All positions are recruited with players in each class and a few athletes that you'll figure out offense or defense and where down the road.

I see a disciplined approach to recruiting that is building talented depth that allows for more selective recruiting at all positions.

There has already been significant attrition with the 2010 class - if you sort by position, the first three recruits aren't on ISU's roster and there's no Dentrell Pate. Link: Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com 2010 Iowa St. Commitments.

So to me it looks like this: sign a balanced class tweaked to annual attrition needs and intentionally sign a few non-qualifiers/low probability to make it players with the hopes of that paying off in the future with a few of those players down the road. Think over signing knowing by the start of the football season you aim for simply as close to a full class showing up and sticking around as possible.

I do agree that O-line is likely to see a slight increase of recruits next year as only three were signed last year and that overall, defensive needs appear to need a little more recruiting than offense for 2012, but I expect it to still end up fairly even on both sides of the ball overall.
    I didn't mean to imply that I thought that there was a strategy targeted toward the offense. My point was simply that those classes have turned out to be offense heavy. You bring up the 2010 class. Initially, no, it wasn't unbalanced. It was actually very balanced, but now with those top 3 guys plus Pate gone or never have shown up, it has become unbalanced. Those four guys, I believe were all figured to be defensive recruits. Again, I don't think that was the goal, but that's how it turned out and that's what we have to work with going forward. I am in the middle of the defensive one right now and I will say, there isn't a position on offense with West now committed, that I think holds a bigger need than any position on defense. I think we need a class defense heavy this year due to both sheer numbers and talent level.

It's all snark from here on out

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Gotcha Yaman3. So we're saying pretty much the same thing.

When I look over the current roster, there's 40 defensive players and 48 offensive players listed and 7 special teams (kickers and deep snappers). The 2011 class will add 9 defensive, 13 offensive and 2 athlete players. So that's 49 Defensive, 61 Offensive and 2 more either way.

So I could see a defensive heavy class on numbers alone. I think the reason for so much of a lack of balance right now is the change in the offensive strategy towards the spread and probably the difficulty finding especially D linemen to recruit. If you take out the offensive players who "don't fit", maybe it's back to more balanced.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    Gotcha Yaman3. So we're saying pretty much the same thing.

When I look over the current roster, there's 40 defensive players and 48 offensive players listed and 7 special teams (kickers and deep snappers). The 2011 class will add 9 defensive, 13 offensive and 2 athlete players. So that's 49 Defensive, 61 Offensive and 2 more either way.

So I could see a defensive heavy class on numbers alone. I think the reason for so much of a lack of balance right now is the change in the offensive strategy towards the spread and probably the difficulty finding especially D linemen to recruit. If you take out the offensive players who "don't fit", maybe it's back to more balanced.
    Your last part is exactly what I think and what I argued initially. As long as the defensive scheme will be somewhat similar, then the type of player is largely the same. In our case, it was exactly the same need type as far as skillset by position. When our offense changed, a lot of the wants as far as what a receiver or a lineman possessed, changed. We needed more receivers, slightly different receivers at times. The line also changed which has been discussed. We now want something a little more mobile and maybe don't require the manball type of lineman as we don't try to run over the Dline but create lanes.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good stuff when you really look at it. The whole roster has a lot more guys on both sides of the ball that you'd expect to see playing time next year.

Especially if you're a 2011 DL or DE. Man, if I was watching ISU FB at all seriously with an eye towards playing as early as a HS body would allow at DE and DL positions in rotation I'd think that should really open eyes on the opportunity there. I could see all except maybe the two rFr DE's playing this year and I wouldn't be all that surprised to see all of them see playing time.

A lot of youth at the DL position and thin, so again, if you're a big body and ready to go for at least some time I think you'll see some.

The biggest change in defensive roster than jumps out at me from 2010 to 2011 is that in 2010 ISU had 21 DB's listed. To start 2011, there's only 14 DB's now. And that's probably a good thing.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 4

Does anyone have the time and insight to create a 2012 offers thread? I would like to see who currently is holding an ISU offer, and what there status is. They have a thread like this across the state, and it is a very nice thing to have.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Does anyone have the time and insight to create a 2012 offers thread? I would like to see who currently is holding an ISU offer, and what there status is. They have a thread like this across the state, and it is a very nice thing to have.
    I can do this. I have tomorrow off.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 829

I think that's supposed to be the "2011 class", rather than 2010.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that I thought that there was a strategy targeted toward the offense. My point was simply that those classes have turned out to be offense heavy. You bring up the 2010 class. Initially, no, it wasn't unbalanced. It was actually very balanced, but now with those top 3 guys plus Pate gone or never have shown up, it has become unbalanced. Those four guys, I believe were all figured to be defensive recruits. Again, I don't think that was the goal, but that's how it turned out and that's what we have to work with going forward. I am in the middle of the defensive one right now and I will say, there isn't a position on offense with West now committed, that I think holds a bigger need than any position on defense. I think we need a class defense heavy this year due to both sheer numbers and talent level.
    I think that you're right. Offensively, they are more along the lines of "filling the pipeline". Yeah, they need to cover all of the positions, but a miss here or there isn't going to be as critical as it would on the other side of the ball. My one exception would be TE. They have no one on the roster nearly as talented as Colin Franklin was. Brandenhorst is a SR and Hammerschmidt is a JR and both of those guys seem just average to me. Brun hasn't made it to campus yet and you don't hear much about Pierce Richardson. With the incoming class, nobody knows for sure WHO the TE will be...is Lemke a TE or DE, is Daniels a QB, DE, LB or TE?

But other than TE, I agree with you. Pretty much every other priority position for this class is on D. LB would be my biggest priority...they need guys to learn a year under Knott and Klein and then step up and play. They've lost two commits (Hubert and Boyd) to conference teams plus two other near-commits (Mars and Marry) plus Bennett leaving. Finding LBs is going to be crucial.

DT and DE will always be tough for ISU, but I think that they're moving in the right direction. Just gotta keep filling the pipeline and grab JUCOs when necessary.

I think that this is a big class for DBs as well. They lose a ton of guys over the next two years. And so far the FR and JUCOs they've brough in (Givens, Brooks, Broomfield, Thomas, Watson) haven't made a dent. They need to be ready to replace LJ and Benton and I don't know how that's going to go.

I understand that you want to sign the best player possible for each position, but if I were to prioritize the importance of each position for the 2012 class, it would be:
    1.LB
    3.S
    4.CB
    5.TE
    6.DE
    7.DT
    8.OL
    9.WR
    10.RB
    11.QB

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 973
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I think that you're right. Offensively, they are more along the lines of "filling the pipeline". Yeah, they need to cover all of the positions, but a miss here or there isn't going to be as critical as it would on the other side of the ball. My one exception would be TE. They have no one on the roster nearly as talented as Colin Franklin was. Brandenhorst is a SR and Hammerschmidt is a JR and both of those guys seem just average to me. Brun hasn't made it to campus yet and you don't hear much about Pierce Richardson. With the incoming class, nobody knows for sure WHO the TE will be...is Lemke a TE or DE, is Daniels a QB, DE, LB or TE?

But other than TE, I agree with you. Pretty much every other priority position for this class is on D. LB would be my biggest priority...they need guys to learn a year under Knott and Klein and then step up and play. They've lost two commits (Hubert and Boyd) to conference teams plus two other near-commits (Mars and Marry) plus Bennett leaving. Finding LBs is going to be crucial.

DT and DE will always be tough for ISU, but I think that they're moving in the right direction. Just gotta keep filling the pipeline and grab JUCOs when necessary.

I think that this is a big class for DBs as well. They lose a ton of guys over the next two years. And so far the FR and JUCOs they've brough in (Givens, Brooks, Broomfield, Thomas, Watson) haven't made a dent. They need to be ready to replace LJ and Benton and I don't know how that's going to go.

I understand that you want to sign the best player possible for each position, but if I were to prioritize the importance of each position for the 2012 class, it would be:
    1.LB
    3.S
    4.CB
    5.TE
    6.DE
    7.DT
    8.OL
    9.WR
    10.RB
    11.QB
    No way should QB be last. I know we have a lot of guys at that position, but none of them are proven and we need an effective QB to be successful

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bpmcclain View Post
    No way should QB be last. I know we have a lot of guys at that position, but none of them are proven and we need an effective QB to be successful
    We have one though. I think he was keeping that in mind.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    We have one though. I think he was keeping that in mind.

None of them are proven though. I think that at least one of our guys will be an effective QB, but you never know

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

With that said though, Jantz will be all conference

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bpmcclain View Post
    None of them are proven though. I think that at least one of our guys will be an effective QB, but you never know
    I mean we have one in this class already. Actually two.