Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 464
    Given: 412

Juwan Staten

Thinking out loud....

He transferred from Dayton to PSU but his coach just bailed from PSU. How bound is he to PSU since he hasn't enrolled yet? Kid is a talented PG but I don't know when he could play and all that jazz.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

Re: Juwan Staten

I wouldn't feel good at all about bringing in Staten. It would be a complete slap in the face to Sledge and may create an awkward and crowded situation in 2012-13 with Lucious, McGee, Sledge and another PG. I think we have to see what we have with Sledge next season and then evaluate from there.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Walk On
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Fred's system is going to need a lot of guards... I don't think the Sledge angle means too much, we could use them both. He was a top-50, 4-star player and had a pretty decent rookie season last year. I'd take him if we could get him (seems we'd be burning a scholarship this upcoming year anyway, so the RS wouldn't hurt).

On the other hand, this kid transfered from Dayton citing the coaching staff's inability to help him improve... that makes me think the Mann angle may not be worth much.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by bots View Post
    Fred's system is going to need a lot of guards... I don't think the Sledge angle means too much, we could use them both. He was a top-50, 4-star player and had a pretty decent rookie season last year. I'd take him if we could get him (seems we'd be burning a scholarship this upcoming year anyway, so the RS wouldn't hurt).

On the other hand, this kid transfered from Dayton citing the coaching staff's inability to help him improve... that makes me think the Mann angle may not be worth much.
    The kid transferred because he was a primary reason for the chemistry issues that caused Dayton to have a disappointing season. Also explains why he ended up at a program like PSU.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bots View Post

I just think the timing would be terrible and there's other assets we should be pursuing for the long term guard situation.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

Rookie
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 883
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    I just think the timing would be terrible and there's other assets we should be pursuing for the long term guard situation.
    The kid would have 3 years to play. By Iowa State standards- that is as long term as we can get (DG being the exception and not the rule).

Look, I doubt he comes here or even looks but his lead recruiter to Dayton was ..... Cornell Mann.

I think ISU should look at any 4 star propsect that is interested in us. Does not mean we take him or he chooses us but we DON'T look away

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mowilly View Post
    The kid would have 3 years to play. By Iowa State standards- that is as long term as we can get (DG being the exception and not the rule).

Look, I doubt he comes here or even looks but his lead recruiter to Dayton was ..... Cornell Mann.

I think ISU should look at any 4 star propsect that is interested in us. Does not mean we take him or he chooses us but we DON'T look away
    Staten is clearly talented, I just think it could lead to more bad then good. I view Sledge as a gateway. If he can come here and be successful, it could really open things up for us in New York. Why risk alienating a guy like that? Now, I'm not saying that we put Sledge above the program, because if he's a bust, then we need to move forward, but there's going to be plenty of talented point guards to pursue for the long term guard situation. Give Sledge a chance this year and then evaluate what we have from there.

Walk On
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    The kid transferred because he was a primary reason for the chemistry issues that caused Dayton to have a disappointing season. Also explains why he ended up at a program like PSU.
    Didn't realize there could be attitude issues there - if that's the case then it might not make sense. Generally speaking I don't think we're in a place to turn away this type of talent just because of position... we'll obviously have need quite a few perimiter players in a couple of years.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 9

Will transfer to WVU to play for huggy bear. FYI.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mowilly View Post

Not that it matters now, but Mann was still at Western Michigan when Staten committed to Dayton.